UPDATED 6 Months - Dr. Rahal Surgery 3489 grafts

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just updated photos - Day 4

I pulled out the clippers! Buzzed it down to 1/4 all around. Left it a lil longer at the stiches. Stiches still show but thats ok with me icon_smile.gif

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Haifree,

Good look for you dude! Not that one can tell from these pictures, but the goatee adds to it too...it will also help keep anyone's focus off the front of your head by the time you go back to work! By tomorrow morning you should be able to resume washing as normal and then gently massaging the grafts with your fingertips with the shampoo...very gently at first....but be consistent with circular motions...this will help slowly loosen and remove the crusts. It will take several days of this, but by day 10-14, the majority if not all the scabs should be gone.

Bill

Hey Bill..Thank you for the tips and compliment on the picture I showed you via email with my full face. I am hoping that the goatee will create a bit of distraction from the front of the head when I return back to work. I will get to work on working the scabs off. I am still apprehensive to touch the grafts. Last night I kept waking up because I was afraid to sleep on the grafts. Has anyone experienced this? How many days out did you feel comfortable sleeping in any normal position without worrying about the grafts? I know there is a time frame for them to heal and for the bottom half of th graft to remain intact in scalp.

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairfree-

Cool haircut, my man! Really.............your recent pics say it all, density is good and quality of work is good, I believe you'll be ecstatic with the results.

I did the same thing with a goatee for awhile, I do think it takes some of the emphasis away from the hair.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hey Thanks Hairbank..The change in look should help. I have a funny story. I just got back from the mall to shop for a hat to wear at work. I am a PE Teacher and today is a day off for the district so I ran into two of my students at the mall. One is 11 yrs old and the other is 9. I am standing in line at the hat store for some time because the store computer system froze for the people in front of me and the two brothers came walking in with their father. I extended my hands and said Hey and shook their hands. They looked at me as a complete stranger the whole time. They had no idea who I was! This all lasted about 5 seconds and immediately after I shook their hands and said "How are you?". I walked out the store. I didn't want to be in line with them for a period of time and eventually theyll know who I am and figure out something is different at top of my head. I think it was a good call to walk out and return 30 mins later after eating lunch at the food court to buy the hat icon_smile.gif

I have always had medium to longer hair, clean face and the new buzz cut, goatee, and new hairline especially from their perspective looking at it from below as a kid and seeing me outside of school gave me an entirely new identity. My feelings were not hurt because I know its something positive icon_smile.gif

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Cool story, HF.

I found that when I clipped down as you have, people just noticed the short haircut, not the remaining graft that were hanging on from the HT. My famous comeback for any stray comments was "how do you like my new summer haircut"......just totaly breezed through any questions and people quickly put it behind them. Neat thing is, if you keep it short while it's coming in (as Master Bill did), it comes in together and I'd venture to guess NO ONE will have a clue you now have more hair in front!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairfree,

Excellent cut. Must say I am a bit envious of you being able to do this at 4 days! Like you, I wore my hair a bit longer but due to redness at the front and donor area shock loss at the back, I am unable to buzz and still in the hat zone. At 70 days plus!!

Looks like you will get great density with an excellent hairline.

Here's to growing!

Bayer

hairfree,

I posted on your other thread sharing your story...very funny!

I have always had my head covered when I went out after the HT so most people didn't say anything. Although I did take off my hat to a few people so they could see my buzz cut! Some people thought it was really cool! Maybe I should have just shaved my head and never got an HT....NAH!!!!! I look better with hair icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

I am now on Day 8 -

After taking everyone advice on this forum I started to massage my scalp on Day 6 to work the scabs off. I took long showers and applied a lot of VIT E oil on it to keep it moist. I would also dip my head and hold it under water in the sink for 5 mins 2-3 times a day. This morning I noticed a large amount of scabs were starting to come off and were just hanging on by the grafts. The scabs were very oily from the VIT E and this evening I soaked my head in the sink for 10 mins. After that I got in the shower for another 10 mins and massaged my head and all the scabs just came off easily. I did not pick at the scabs or use my finger tips. I just used the end of my fingers and massaged gently. I think the Vit E made a big difference. It is now neat to see all the grafts embeded into my actual scalp. Before I couldn't see them as well because I had a scab helmet! Tomorrow I will start applying Aloe to the scalp to work on the pink.

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairfree,

LOL on the scab helmet. Thought mine was made of Kevlar!

Could you or Bill provide me with details on the aloe? Is this lotion or green gel? How often do you apply it and for how long do you leave it before washing?

Your pics look excellent.

Bayer

Bayer -

Good question! It just emailed Bill the same question. I saw the Aloe lotion at Walgreens and almost bought it. Im glad I didn't. Bill said its the green stuff. Im going out today after work to get the Aloe and start on it. I think you can leave it on as long as you want and apply it twice a day. Im only guessing. I will find out. Will let you know..

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Haifree and Bayer,

Yep, I use the green stuff...I find it cooling and refreshing...helps with any itching too. Definitely soothes the skin and facilitates healing.

Technically you can use it as much as you want...it's not going to harm anything. I like to let my scalp breathe a little bit though, plus with life passing by, I tend to only put it on in the morning and the evening.

Just a little heads up though...it will most likely make your scalp a litltle greenish, so rub it in good...and if you are going to a place where you can't wear a hat, you might want to apply it in the evening only.

It will also dry a little flakey...that's normal...

And you don't have to do anything special to wash it off. What doesn't absorb will be washed off when you shower.

Bill

Looking good at day 8

Haircut ooks natural. Hows the scar looking? I'm at day 24 and all is well. Scabs and pinkness are gone on top and I've been using the awesome Aloe shampoo which is really helping my scar heal fast.. Big difference than my last 2 as I am being more agressive in cleaning the donor area ( with the aloe shampoo)

Happy growing

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Aloe shampoo! Where can I get that stuff? I am about to leave work soon and need to get the Aloe. I will look for the shampoo too. Thank you for your update MRJB! What kind of haircut are you walking around with now? Is it noticable?

I might lose the hat on Monday and report to work with my ultra short buzz cut. It all depends on the pink in the area. So far the pink is improving and its not as noticable as before.

My Scar is itchy. I cant really see it in the mirror. Someone else told me that it is red. I am going to get the sutures taken out by my family doctor on Wednesday. Can't wait!!

MRJB- Im glad that all is going well for you on Day 24!

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

HF-

Lookin' good, my man. What a difference in the scabs from day six to day eight.

Sorry, I don't know about the Aloe shampoo but would guess you could get it at Walmart...........don't they have everything there?? icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Bill -

Hey! Thank you for stopping over with the wife to check the HT out. It was good to see the two of you and to hang out for a short bit. How was the dinner for your wife's Bday?

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairfree,

Yeah bro...was a great time hanging out with you two...very fun indeed! We'll have to do it again in the next week or two...we'll talk soon to pick a day as to when we can get together! Good stuff!

My wife and I had a good time, dinner, ice cream, movie...all good stuff! Sounds like your fiance and you had the same idea...at least the dinner and ice cream part. Now I have to go back to dieting this week! Blah! Gotta get in shape!

By the way, your day 11 picture looks great! Redness is really starting to fade.

Talk soon bro,

Bill

Hey dude, looking very very good. That is very nice and refined hairline you have got there. You gonna have some great hair pretty soon. Also it doesn't look that obvious that you have had a hair transplant. Did u have much swelling?

GoodtoGo,

I had minimal swelling. By Day 3 it was around the eyes and around day 5 it was all gone. Everyone has a different reaction. In my case I did a good job making sure I slept at 45 degree angle for first 5 nights and I think that kept the swelling away.

What doctor are you considering? How many grafts you looking to get? Let me know your thoughts on my PM.

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Bill,

So far the grafts are hanging in there. I do not want to see them go away icon_frown.gif Can I use super glue on my scalp to keep the grafts on? Just an idea?? Haha just kidding.

I will have to post some new pictures. The redness in area is gone and I had my sutures removed yesterday by my family doctor. It went pretty well and the doctor was very impressed with how the sutures were done. She said it was neat! Rahal did a nice job. I assume she don't get many HT patients coming in. lol

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairfree,

Glad to hear that things are going so well. The superglue idea might not be a good one but let us know how it works if you go ahead with it.

This is great to follow your results and Bills at the same time and to also be witness to your "Brokeback Mountain" get togethers. LOL. Just couldn't resist to give you guys a hard time.

Take care.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90