DHT Shampoo

I use both with great results. I am not sure they block any large amounts of DHT, but I will say that my hair diameter (each follicle)appears to be larger then when I used other shampoos.

Either one id good as long as you don't experience any irritation.

Hope this helps!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I use them as a 1-2 punch.........they each have a different purpose. Nioxin supposedly blocks "surface" DHT to help strengthen any hair susceptible to MPB, while Nizoral is primarily an anti-fungal shampoo which cleanses the scalp to aid in providing optimal growth condition. Nioxin is made for daily use whereas Nizoral, which comes in a 1% non-script variety or a 2% script variety, is to be used maybe EOD or a couple of times per week...............many have used Nizoral as a dandruff shampoo as well.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

There seems to be some debate about exactly how ketoconazole works. Dr. Lee has written ketconazole inhibits the synthesis of ergosterol, which is the same pharmacological action that inhibits the synthesis of DHT in the scalp.

Dr. Proctor has written ketconazole benefits may come from its effect on sebhorreic dermatitis and not necessarily in blocking DHT.

No matter how it works, several studies have shown it offers some benefit, perhaps as much as 2% Minoxidil in Propylene Glycol. However, now that Rogaine 5% foam is available I feel 2% Minox in PPG is a completely obsolete solution.

I've always felt the best 1-2 punch is Propecia and 5% minox. I have grown 10 new hairs in my hairline after 5 weeks on Rogaine foam. It's not a lot, but it shows it's working. I use Dr. Lee's DHT shampoo. I have for 3 years now. I'm still a Norwood 5V so it's not like it regrew massive amounts of hair for me.

Ketoconazole (nizoral) has some limited research behind it. I don't feel the same can be said for Nioxin as to its benefits. Even ketoconazole's benefits are fairly minor.

I am an independent hair transplant surgical consultant and hair loss researcher. Any opinions I have posted are my own. I am working on a few hair loss/transplant projects and will be making some announcements concerning them in the near future.

Guest Cousin_It

I would go along with most of you guys. The 1-2 punch is Rogaine/Propecia. Anything else is really a distant third. Pick a shampoo or treatment that makes your scalp/hair feel and look better, if a few hairs of growth come along with it, great.

So much stuff out there is advertised as the savior of hair loss, but offer little in return. Save your money, use it on FDA approved medications or surgery.

• 11 months later...

Re: Ketoconazole. Antiseborrheic dermatitis agents such as "tar", ketoconazole, and pyrithione have long been known to have some efficacy in the treatment of pattern loss. The first century Greek physician Dioscorides even lists "Tar" (presumably bitumen or coal-tar) as a treatment for pattern balding. Before the discovery of minoxidil again made hair loss treatments a respectible are of research, the efficacy of seb derm treatments was eclipsed for a while, though continued in Eurpope. Until the area was revived in the late 1990's, the latest reference I can find to it is a formulary from 1927. Now, it is pretty well-established. The propecia clinical trials even used "T-gel", a coal-tar preparation, in both wings to minimize seborrheic dermatitis as a variable.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD,MD

(promotional link removed)

I use Revita which has ketoconazole & many other supoosed anti DHT items. It is a good shampoo and very gentle as opposed to Nizoral.Nioxin is nice too but a bit pricey

Shampoos are not going to do much so I agree. find a shampoo which works with your hair but it certainly does not hurt to use one with these ingredients

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!