12 Days of Post-op...what worked well for me.

Middleson

Greetings All,

I spent a lot of time reading & researching after my first HT 12 days ago. I used this site extensively, and looked around all over the place for information that would help me develop a sensible plan for the best post-op care for me for the first week or so following my HT. The following is what I did, and I can say it worked very well for me.

Days 1-3: Several rinses with a saline solution made with Epsom salts. I have a deep sink and used a large 2 quart container to pour the solution over my head. I followed the saline rinses with tap water rinses. I also used a folligen spray several times throughout the day.

Days 4-7: Starting on day 4 I started soaking my entire scalp in a saline solution from Epsom salts. For this I used a cheap plastic 12 quart container. I placed two large bed pillows lengthwise in front of the container on the floor to make it easier to lay down & extend my head back into the container of saline solution. Using a hand held mirrow helped with positioning my head into the solution. There's no particular reason I waited until day 4 to soak my scalp other than personal convenience. After these soaks, I would rinse my head in the deep well sink by pouring tap water over my scalp or by pouring water over my head using a large plastic cup I kept in the shower. I also continued using the folligen spray throughout the day.

Days 7-10: I continued with what I was already doing, but after day 7, I stopped using the large plastic cup in the shower. To rinse my head in the shower for days 7-10, I made sure my head was at least a couple feet away from the shower head (kneeled down in my shower). Boy did this feel good!

Days 10-12: At this point I felt comfortable enough to start getting rid of the crusts on my scalp. I did this over a 3 day period (day 10, 11, 12) by using Liquid Vitamin E. I purchased a small 2 oz bottle with a dropper and only used about half of this quantity.

The vitamin E oil really made pretty easy work of getting rid of the crusts without pulling out any transplanted hairs, but it was very messy (and didn't smell nice). After applying the Vitamin E oil, I gently massaged the crusted areas with the pads of my fingers (definitetly not the fingernails). After doing this, I found I was anxious for a shower to wash off the oily and smelly Vitamin E.

During Days 10-12, I allowed my scalp to get closer the the shower head until I was showering normally.

I have no remaining crust matter on my scalp. My scalp feels and looks very clean without any redness, swelling, dryness, itching, etc.. In addition, I've lost very few transplanted hairs at this point. My donor scar looks good and seems to be diminishing as far as the "raised feel" along the length of the scar.

Day 13 (tomorrow) will be a normal day, and I'm having my sutures removed on Day 14 (this Tuesday).

Hopefully I'll have some photos to share this coming Tuesday/Wednesday. After that, I'll post progress monthly and/or start up the weblog.

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

Middleson,

Thanks for the detailed account on what you have done immediately post op for the first 12 days. I do, however, want to inform the readers, that though there is no harm in doing what you did, it isn't a requirement as part of the healing process. One can argue as to whether there is benefit to doing all of this or not...I think if anything, it helps some people mentally more than anything else...that they have control over the healing process.

As an example, By Day 9, most scabs were already off my head and I was washing my hair regularly by day 5 as per doctors instructions. The only thing I did differently, just because I wanted to was shower between day 5 and day 10, just because it felt good and I was able to work the crusts off gently with my finger tips. This is not to knock all that you've done Middleson...but I wanted to let readers be aware that all this work, isn't a requirement as part of the healing process.

Bill

very detailed Middleson, just one question, why did you wait till day 14 to remove the sutures? day 10-12 is more usual!

IH

HT2 2570 grafts Dr Feller

HT 2350 grafts Dr Epstein

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

Bill,

I have to admit that your results present a compelling argument for "dry healing" (and you've been through this 3 times while I've only been through this once...and only 13 days at that). However, my personal preference is still toward wet healing, particularly with the saline rinses. I believe the therapeutic benifits are more than just mental at best. I also want to point out that I would not advocate using the Vitamin E oil on the donor wound...I only used it on the relatively healed recipient sites because it made it easier for me to get rid of the scabs/crusts.

An interesting point...in my hours of research I even found this amusing advice: "..remember that if it's wet, dry it; and if it's dry, wet it.". Here is the source for that quote. Perhaps the ultra-refined HT's surguries heal so rapidly that it really doesn't make that much difference one way or the other.

IH, I wanted to get the sutures out earlier, but it just wasn't convenient for me. I am anxious to the the things out tomorrow!

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

Middleson,

It's understandable that people want to try different things to speed up the healing process. Ultimately, as Spex said in another post, mother nature is the best healer...time will heal all wounds. But there's no harm in trying to assist mother nature by using some products that may be helpful. I just wanted people to be aware that using these products aren't necessary since dry healing also works well also.

Bill

It seems to me you went a bit crazy in your aftercare. I hope it did not harm the eventual growing of the new hairs. I guess only time will tell if you have caused any damage. Hope not.

Oh give me a break!

(outa here)

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

Middleson, you could not have done any damage from your program, most grafts are secure after the first day and if any scabs come off, even with a piece of hair attached, that does not mean the follicle has been pulled out. So don't sweat it. Your tranplanted grafts are going to shed and the new growth will come back in in 3-6 months.

NoBuzz