Is the amount enough..?

The answer to your question is purely a subjective one. IMO...............if I was a NW6 or NW7 and could only get 2500 grafts placed on my head I don't know that I'd have the surgery. 2500 grafts can give you a decent look for the frontal 1/3, not really a dense appearance, mind you. If you stretched 2500 grafts to frontal 1/3 and midscalp you'd really have a thin look with the remaining bald crown.

Some may be okay with this, I don't think I would.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

No, 2500 isn't enough. Look at my pictures to see what 2700 gave me - only the front 1/3 with recessions. 2500 spread over the whole top wouldn't look good at all (in my opinion).

No I don't believe it is enough. In saying this however if you have a very small head and are comfortable with a thin look in the hairline with a high hairline it might be OK. Definitely won't cover entire scalp though.

The only way that I would consider it was if I was 50+ and cool with having a hairline and thinning look.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

The answer to your question depends entirely upon whether or not the result will be enough for you to consider it "fuller". Does it make a difference? Absolutely but today with top tier clinics 2500 isn't enough to even book a procedure if you are a NW6.

Each case is unique however. A NW6 that is a repair case can be quite happy with 2500 grafts. I know I was with my first surgery because I had no idea what was possible in the long term.

left_five_month.JPG

Here are the same 2400 grafts at nine months.

DSCF0061-776x582.jpg

Like I said, a lot can be done with this lower number in the right hands but ultimately it is only laying the groundwork for bigger and better results with subsequent sessions. Although my 2400 grafts from round one with Master Wong made my world turn around 180 degrees it was still woefully thin, very see though, and with a still very bald crown.

If you are a NW6 you need to go big to get closer to where you want to be. It saves you money, downtime, time to final result and you have less scarring.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

cornelius,

As you say,If 6000 grafts are needed,to give fuller look of hair, will his donor area support as per the need?

Can it yield that much of grafts to harvest at one pass..???

And Generally,is it possible for people ( NW5-6 ) to yield an amount of donor grafts like 10000 FU and more..?

If yes,how..?In what way..?

NOT EVERYONE HAS ENOUGH DONOR HAIR TO RESTORE THEIR ENTIRE HEAD! Many balding men cannot EVER get a good result from hair transplants because they do not have enough donor hair to cover their bald areas.

If it is very likely that you will not have enough donor hair for your baldness, then it is a MUCH better idea never to get any hair transplants at all so you can still shave your head without any scars showing.

It is always possible to cover a whole head with a few hairs, but the transplanted areas will be so thin that it will not look very good at all. Most of the successful hair transplant patients would still like to have more donor hair to make the transplanted areas even thicker if it was possible. Anyone who becomes a Norwood 4 or worse will probably always wish they had more donor hair to use, even though they are satisfied with their transplant results because it looks much more acceptable than baldness.

Norwood 5-6 cases are very difficult. They require a highly-skilled doctor. Even with a great doctor, it still usually requires ALL of the donor hair they can possibly take off the person's head just to create an acceptable result. These patients will definitely require several transplant surgeries and a lot of money.

NW7 patients are almost always BAD transplant patients. In almost every NW7 case, these patients cannot get thick enough transplanted hair to look acceptable. There is simply too much bald scalp area to cover and not enough donor hair to put over it.

In most of the severe balding cases (like Norwood 5-7), the patient decides that they do not want the same density of transplants over their entire head. They often choose to put thicker hair in the front and top, in exchange for thinner hair in the crown area. This is because a thin or bald crown area is normal in many older men. So when the patient gets older and all of his original hair is finally gone from the balding areas, the transplanted hairs will still look very much like a normal "thinning" pattern. It is also important to leave the temples receeded. Filling the temples consumes a large number of hair grafts, and it will not continue to look natural if the patient has become much older and his crown area is thin.

-------------------------------------------------

Hi

2500 is not enough to create a full look for a N6 or 7.. It can provide some coverage and is a good start

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by thickerhair:

cornelius,

As you say,If 6000 grafts are needed,to give fuller look of hair, will his donor area support as per the need?

Can it yield that much of grafts to harvest at one pass..???

And Generally,is it possible for people ( NW5-6 ) to yield an amount of donor grafts like 10000 FU and more..?

If yes,how..?In what way..?

Big difference between a NW 5 and a NW 7, and, your question is so subjective as everyone's hair quality and density are different.

For instance, I was diffused NW 4-5 before any HT's, I've received 5000 grafts so far and have been advised I likely have around 5000 or possibly even a little more thus my decision to go back for round 3 soon.

If I was NW 7, or NW 5 with poor donor quality and density I may have opted for no HT's. Jotronic gave an excellent example above of what 2400 grafts can do in the hands of a skilled surgeon. So, let's say a NW 7 had possibly 4000-5000 grafts.............I think that may be the minimum for a try at a naturally appearing HT which provide decent coverage but nonetheless not complete coverage maybe leaving the crown along or very thin.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.