FUE vs. Strip

So... could someone please explain the difference between these two? I understand the procedure is different (ie FUE is indiviually taking out donor hair vs. taking out a large strip all at once), but can someone explain the differences in scarring, healing (time, look, etc) and final results (is one thicker than the other, etc.)? Is the donor area for FUE all thinned out? how noticable is the scar if you shaved it down real close? etc..

Thanks to anyone who can answer some of these questions.

So... could someone please explain the difference between these two? I understand the procedure is different (ie FUE is indiviually taking out donor hair vs. taking out a large strip all at once), but can someone explain the differences in scarring, healing (time, look, etc) and final results (is one thicker than the other, etc.)? Is the donor area for FUE all thinned out? how noticable is the scar if you shaved it down real close? etc..

Thanks to anyone who can answer some of these questions.

Also is one procedure generally more succesful than the other? Man, I've been cuising this board for a few years, and ive gotten SO much information out of it and yet i still have SO many questions.

Also, Me: i'm 25, been thinning since around 19-20 years old. im like a 3A now i guess, but my hair is SUPER thick so it almost looks worse because of the comparison from the top of my head to the sides. Sometimes I look in the mirror and im ok with it, i think i look pretty good, and other times i catch myself in the light and i'm like "ugh, god."

I've been on propecia for a while now (few years). it kind of looks like ive still lost hair, so maybe its just slowed it down? And im totally paranoid to get a HT and then when i'm like, 30 ill look rediculous and not be able to afford another one.

anyway, sorry for the rant, any info would be great, thanks!

• Administrators

Elastic,

The chief difference between FUE and strip is that FUE is over sold, takes more time to move any real amounts hair, and is twice the price.

And yes, FUE is "generally more succesful" at removing more money from your wallet. There's plenty of surgeons who'd be happy to offer you an FUE procedure.

On a lighter note check out the FUE section of the Hair Transplant Network. or the video comparison.

Best wishes, Pat

P.S. With a name like yours - go strip :-)

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

FUE can have its place but I definitely agree with Pat that it's been overly hyped and definitely overly priced.

With the overwhelming success of the trychophytic closure technique being utilized by physicians like Dr. Cooley, Dr. Rose, and Dr. Shapiro, I cannot fathom many instances that would justify the labor and monetary intensive FUE other than a very small few.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I have read that you can shave very closely after a HT. What about shaving all the way, though? I shaved my head a few years ago and liked it. I recently started working out again, so I might shave again. Which technique would leave less scarring? Would they both be noticeable? Strip = 1 long, linear scar, but FUE = hundreds of polka dot scars? Basically, once you get a HT, are your shaved head days over?

(FYI - I would not want to shave forever, which is why I still want a HT. I just want that option.)

Your strip scar will be a lot longer than 1 inch. Depending on the size of your HT it could be up to 1 foot.

While FUE doesn't leave the long thin scar, it will leave lots and lots of little ones so I doubt you'd want to shave your head. Probably less noticeable than STRIP but I dunno.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Elastic, you must keep in mind that the physiological makeup of each person is different. For example, I heal quickly and without excessive scarring, others may not. You should plan on NOT being able to shave your head again regardless of the surgical method used (FUE/Strip). If you can deal with that, then do your research and proceed, if not, then transplantation should not be an option at this time. It is a conservative approach, but one that will serve you well in this undertaking.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Is it not logical that FUE would be more practical for "touch up situations", where you you want a couple hundred grafts to fill in a small area or slightly improve a hair line situation. While strip is a much more efficient process than FUE, there are probably some situations where FUE would make more sense.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by mm:

Is it not logical that FUE would be more practical for "touch up situations", where you you want a couple hundred grafts to fill in a small area or slightly improve a hair line situation. While strip is a much more efficient process than FUE, there are probably some situations where FUE would make more sense.

That's something that I was wondering about. I have a high widow's peak and probably need about 400 to 500 grafts. So basicly, I need my hairline filled out in the two high parts and refined.

Perhaps FUE would be ideal for something like that?

400-500 grafts won't cover much surface area with any density to speak of......are you talking about 400-500 for each peak for a total of around 1000?

Personal choice. FUE doesn't come with the "smile" shaped scar on the back of your head but it's really only an issue if you shave it..........even then you can have little dot scars on your head from FUE. Otherwise, with the refined closure methods of STRIP, the scar shouldn't be an issue. STRIP has higher graft survival percentages and cost about 1/2 what FUE does.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi

I've had 2 surgeries ( 1400+ each ) the 2nd with the T closure. In my case I have been able to shave down to guard 2 with no problems. In fact it's only been 3 months since my 2nd surgery so I'm assuming the scar will even get better. Obviously this is my personal experience and other have different "scarring" tendencies.. I have one question?

Why do people want to shave their head when they get a Hair Transplant?? I thought the whole purpose is to have hair.. Maybe they mean right after the surgery to have growth uniform??

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I don't plan to shave my head at all! Ever! I like long hair.

So, I guess Strip would be best for me.

Oh, and I'm not %100 sure how many grafts I would need. I used a calculating system I found somewhere in this message board, and it said that I would need about 400-500. But if you think I'll need twice as much, Hairbank, maybe I'll have to find a better way to know for sure what I need.

Perhaps I'll post a picture sometime soon and you all can let me know what I need.

Blue Ninja,

The Hair Transplant Calculator is a useful tool and should give you a fair assessment of your needs. I was just a little puzzled as 400-500 grafts isn't much. If you're calculating for the front be sure to use 45-55 sq cm coverage. If you can post pics that would be great!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyones help, that answers some questions for me. I guess i thought with FUE Id still have the option of shaving my head, im a little paranoid about someone spotting a scar on my head (even if i didnt shave).

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Hi

I've had 2 surgeries ( 1400+ each ) the 2nd with the T closure. In my case I have been able to shave down to guard 2 with no problems. In fact it's only been 3 months since my 2nd surgery so I'm assuming the scar will even get better. Obviously this is my personal experience and other have different "scarring" tendencies.. I have one question?

Why do people want to shave their head when they get a Hair Transplant?? I thought the whole purpose is to have hair.. Maybe they mean right after the surgery to have growth uniform??

The style these days for young people is the "high and tight" marine type hair cut, where the sides are buzzed, but there is still hair on top. I think many people would like to be able to do that post HT.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Does anyone know whats the chances are of having to get another TP after a while? i understand that there is some hair that i will keep losing, but when they do the first transplant, do they try to implement it in a way so that if you decide against another TP you wont look rediculous? Or is that out of the question

Does anyone know whats the chances are of having to get another TP after a while? i understand that there is some hair that i will keep losing, but when they do the first transplant, do they try to implement it in a way so that if you decide against another TP you wont look rediculous? Or is that out of the question?

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Why do people want to shave their head when they get a Hair Transplant?? I thought the whole purpose is to have hair..

I agree. Seems silly to go to that expense just to cut it really short. So far, I've gone eight months without a haircut and I love it. Especially now since I don't have a hairline anymore that looks like Higgins from Magnum PI! I'm growing it long one last time. I plan to let it go for another couple of years. What a hippy freak!