2248 Grafts 1 Session - Dr. Rosanelli

-------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Photos temporarily removed while photos are being edited to better hide the patient's face and identity. Dr. Rosanelli will post this and all other albums again in the next few days

------------------------------------------

Dear forum members,

Recently, Pat Hennessey, Publisher of the Hair Transplant Network visited with and evaluated Dr. Rosanelli of the San Francisco Bay by observing live surgery. See Pat's Visit to Dr. Tom Rosanelli in San Francisco.

Dr. Rosanelli and his large staff of 10 medical technicians have extensive experience in performing follicular unit hair transplantation using microscopes to dissect follicular unit grafts.

Though Dr. Rosanelli has the staff and experience to perform sessions of over 3000 grafts in a single session, he believes session sizes under 3000 grafts provide his patients with optimal graft survival rates and hair growth.

This patient received 2248 grafts in 1 hair transplant session. The pictures below are only 8 months after surgery.

Bill,

Similar to the other post you made for Dr. Rosanelli, these results are just not impressive. The patient ends up with a very sparse "head of hair" which I'm not honestly certain is a solid improvement from where he started from. Without understanding what this patients goals were and how many subsequent HT's he plans to have or why he stopped at 2248 grafts (perhaps because the doctor doesn't like to do 3,000+?), but I just can't help but think how much impressive his results would be with one megasession at H&W.

Please tell me you are not 'promoting' this doctor?!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Not bad, but not great either. It seems that this doc may concentrate on covering the whole balding area and not on creating a "dense" hairline 1st . I wonder if this is the decision of the patient, and if he explains the importance of dense packing????

Dr. Rosanelli believes in creating a "soft" hairline because it appears more natural than densely packing it.

Considering this patient only had 2248 grafts, I feel that he looks good.

I am not sure what whether or not this patient plans on having more work or not.

Bill

I agree that a soft hairline is optimal in a NW6 patient, but let's be honest. Take a look at that last photo and all I can see is a hairline so soft that it fails to exist. It's so sparse that it looks like a pre-op photo. And because it's so thin, it calls attention to each and every graft making it look 'pluggy' instead of soft.

Again, my concern is (a) what was this patient's goals, (b) was he told that 2248 grafts would get rid of his baldness or that it would make nearly no cosmetic difference (thus - what's the point of starting?), © was he told that he needed 5,000 grafts but anything over 3,000 would result in less optimal growth / survival (not true with most docs), etc.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

I think it looks good for a low number of grafts. A tremendous upgrade from where he was. Perhaps he didn't have $18k to go for a mega-session? Perhaps, he's like me and thinks two "smaller" sessions of 2,200 would be better than one session of 4,400? And, he's only at the 8-month mark and many doctor's on here say you can get up to 50% more growth after 8 months.

But, it's good imo. He had hardly any hair at the start and he looks to be in his 50's, so that's pretty appropriate, imo.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

M&M,

I appreciate that you are trying to discern the patient's hair restoration goals and what he was told by the clinic for the long term, but since we don't have that information, don't you think it's better to evaluate the session for what it was?

We already know that this low number of grafts could never cover a norwood 6 in it's entirety with high density. Clearly the approach for this patient was to tackle coverage. Whether or not the patient and physician have discussed more surgeries, I don't know. But we do know by looking at other photo albums such as this one, that the clinic performs multiple sessions to give the patient as much natural looking coverage and density appropriate for the patient.

I think Dewayne put it best when he said "it looks good for a number of graftss. A tremendous upgrade from where he was".

Bill