on propecia now, would like some more advice

MeeKs

I have been on propecia (generic proscar) since may 06. I can't see a difference in my hair loss too much. I think I just started the shedding process. What I want to know is is there anything else I should be using? I tried minox 5% a few years ago and stopped it a few months in. Should I get back on that as well? I have also heard a lot about Nizoral Shampoo. I'm also looking into some concealers. I'm leaing towards Dermmatch over Toppik. Any suggestions would be great.

Here is my previous post so you have some background:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/146...861/m/4111073032/p/1

Thanks Again.

MeeKs,

I started using Toppik two days ago myself. It works beautifully, you wont believe the difference.

Make sure you get the Toppik spray maxmizer(only works with the 25 and 50 gm bottles. I sprinkle from 10mg bottles towards the middle and the crown and then round it off with a spray in that area. I only use the spray in the front and the hairline.

Its been working fine for me for the last two days, no maintenance work required or messiness caused.

The only thing is that I fear I may get addicted to it and/or start using large quantities because of the effect it has :-)

icare4myhair

2523 grafts - Dr.Ron Shapiro, Sep7, 2006

GRAFT STATISTICS

1hair -#grafts,#hairs- 450 , 450

2hair -#grafts,#hairs-1373, 2746

3hair -#grafts,#hairs- 650 , 1950

4hair -#grafts,#hairs- 50 , 200

TOTAL-#grafts,#hairs-2523, 5346

My Hair Loss Weblog

I have toppik, but my impression is that it falls the the scalp more than it clings to the hair. that is certainly the case for me.

That doesn't mean it doesn't have a positive effect, but it seems to me its a powder version of what used to be called, "Top Coverage"...which I used to laugh like hell about.

mark h

(not laughing anymore)

Nizoral shampoo has an active ingredient called Ketoconazole, which is used as an antifungal agent. It has also been shown to decrease levels of DHT when applied topically. Nizoral 1% can be purchased OTC but 2% requires a script. I use the 1% every other day. Another shampoo/conditioner you may want to consider is Nioxin which is also supposed to remove toxins like DHT from your scalp...................you may want to consider adding both to your scalp and hair care regimen. You can buy them both at Walmart (Nioxin is in Walmart's hair salon).

As for concealer's I have not tried toppik before but have dermmatch which I've used a little until my 2nd HT started filling in. The key for any concealer is to have enough hair to work with. Judging by the pics you posted in your other thread, you probably have enough for it to look okay. Dermmatch is pretty much water proof which is one of the reasons I opted for it over Toppik. If you sweat, get caught in the rain..........get water on your hair/head for any reason I think I'd be a little paranoid knowing it would come of if i used toppik. Dermmatch won't come out until you shampoo it out.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi Everyone:

I'm 27 and have been experiencing hair loss for several years. I'm contemplating what to do and would like to see if anyone who has taken Propecia can provide their feedback about it. Specifically, I'm afraid of the potential sexual side effects and skeptical about results. Thanks.