how long to wait between HT 1 & 2?

hi, i had my 1st ht back in 0ctober, i was a norwood3 i guess and had my temples and hairline re-established. I'm very happy with the results so far, the only thing is I want to lower the hairline a tiny bit because i feel my forehead looks a little big, I was kinda a little annoyed at myself for not twisting my doc's arm back in October for a lower hairline but he said it was rite for me ect ect. Obviously I'm not over the moon about having to make the very long trip from Europe to north America again. However I am aware that most of us will need a second pass to refine things etc etc. This I can understand more with people with a lot more hairloss. However with people such as myself with less hairloss to begin with I thought I would have had just one HT in the frontal area and imagined any subsequent HT would have been elsewhere i.e.the crown etc. With all that said I'm only at the 5month mark and all the added density and maturity etc to come will make all the difference. You see I have a budget rite now so i can afford a second pass and have a very good donor supply as well. I expect my doc to get back to me with a recommendation of required grafts shortly. I think the best thing to do would be to take note of my doc's recommendation and wait till i hit at least the one year mark?? before returning. Although I kinda feel the sooner i get the second pass the sooner I'll reach my desired goal. But one has to be patient, however I know the hairline ain't gonna grow any lower but as i said earlier, that the added density to come and maturity will make a big overall difference. Any thoughts welcome. Cheers

hi, i had my 1st ht back in 0ctober, i was a norwood3 i guess and had my temples and hairline re-established. I'm very happy with the results so far, the only thing is I want to lower the hairline a tiny bit because i feel my forehead looks a little big, I was kinda a little annoyed at myself for not twisting my doc's arm back in October for a lower hairline but he said it was rite for me ect ect. Obviously I'm not over the moon about having to make the very long trip from Europe to north America again. However I am aware that most of us will need a second pass to refine things etc etc. This I can understand more with people with a lot more hairloss. However with people such as myself with less hairloss to begin with I thought I would have had just one HT in the frontal area and imagined any subsequent HT would have been elsewhere i.e.the crown etc. With all that said I'm only at the 5month mark and all the added density and maturity etc to come will make all the difference. You see I have a budget rite now so i can afford a second pass and have a very good donor supply as well. I expect my doc to get back to me with a recommendation of required grafts shortly. I think the best thing to do would be to take note of my doc's recommendation and wait till i hit at least the one year mark?? before returning. Although I kinda feel the sooner i get the second pass the sooner I'll reach my desired goal. But one has to be patient, however I know the hairline ain't gonna grow any lower but as i said earlier, that the added density to come and maturity will make a big overall difference. Any thoughts welcome. Cheers

I can relate to your sentiments about wishing the hairline was lower than what you ended up with following the first procedure. Unlike you though, I am already close to a year and a half post op so I could theoretically go for a second procedure anytime. I think about it a lot.

In your case, I am not sure what to suggest to you, although I suspect most people would tell you to keep that money aside in a separate account and hold off since you are only at 5 months. I am certainly interested in what others will suggest to you.

hi goldilocks, i think if you can afford the 2nd pass and have suitable donar supply etc and are not completely happy with the position of your hairline then it's worth doing. Well Its my opinion that if you've already spend 7+ thousand dollars and your not completely content with the results and its relatively possible to reach your goal then its worth a shot, however obviously everybody is different regarding the situation of their hair etc. The thought of that looooooong journey, motel stay and spending more cash makes me stall it a bit but as i just mentioned, after going so far you feel you wanna go the hole way and reach your goal if ya can...

jojo,

it's best to wait at least one year after a HT before proceeding with the next; first, it takes at least a full year to see the full results of the ht; at 6 months, yor are only at 50% of your final results; thus, it is too early to assess; 2nd, it takes time for your scalp laxity to return; this will allow the doctor to safely take a donor strip. there are exceptions, but a general rule is to wait one year.

I guess you have considered this already but I'm sure the doc has good reasons for giving you the hairline he did. I guess he could have given you a lower one first time and maybe charged you more for a bigger session but there's reasons he didn't. The hairline you get will have to look good when a) you get older and b) has to be able to cope with future hair loss which many docs agree is difficult to predict from a NW3.

Hope it works out well whatever you do, just don't want to see you over commit to the front and end up with an unnatural look.

Originally posted by Jojo:

hi goldilocks, i think if you can afford the 2nd pass and have suitable donar supply etc and are not completely happy with the position of your hairline then it's worth doing. Well Its my opinion that if you've already spend 7+ thousand dollars and your not completely content with the results and its relatively possible to reach your goal then its worth a shot, however obviously everybody is different regarding the situation of their hair etc. The thought of that looooooong journey, motel stay and spending more cash makes me stall it a bit but as i just mentioned, after going so far you feel you wanna go the hole way and reach your goal if ya can...

I agree with you; when you spend this kind of money and are maybe not completely happy, have adequate donor supply etc. it is worth going in for a second pass, just as you said.

The thought of having to go through all the recovering and hair growing makes me hold off. I had quite an uncomfortable recovery and my scalp was numb for several months... It's not something I look forward to going through again. However, I am seriously considering having a second procedure as I do have the finances to take care of it and I know I'd like to enhance the first procedure.

In thinking about your situation again, I would recommend waiting until at least a year. That way the transplanted hair is matured and you'll have a better sense of what you are trying to ultimately achieve.

I think you should wait a full 24 months before you go for a second pass. I had my first HT about 18 months ago, a year later, I was ready for #2, but for personal reason's, it wasn't possible. From month 12 to 18, I saw a huge difference, ( hair maturing, more density, less wiery, etc., etc.,) I think it has to do with the hair cycle. Wait it out, you might be surprised...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery.....

Originally posted by Jojo:

One year is the usual recomendation.

I am in the same boat; my doctor planted the hairline higher than I would like. He had very definite ideas about what he wanted to do. The choices he made are largely correct, but perhaps a bit too conservative.

In talking to him about a follow-up, I was surprised to find that we would probably need to plant in the front AGAIN to achieve significant density. I thought the whole purpose of targeting the front only was so that it would be done. I am a NW5. The expectation was definitely set that the front would be done in the first pass and planted at a high density.

So the problem is, that to achieve desired density takes two passes. Lowering the hairline, I might be faced with the same problem of too thin. I really wish I had insisted on going a tad lower, but on the day of the surgery I thought "he is an expert and knows what he is doing, best to defer to his decision." However, I think the conservative hairine is "safe" and doesnt really take into account the patients facial features.

I'm not talking about much, maybe only 3-5mm. It would really help to frame my face better. The higher hairline really locks in the "big forehead" look.

On the plus side, as the hair matured, it grows forward so I am able to comb it forward to "lower" the hairline somewhat.

So

Originally posted by kaounis:

I think you should wait a full 24 months before you go for a second pass. I had my first HT about 18 months ago, a year later, I was ready for #2, but for personal reason's, it wasn't possible. From month 12 to 18, I saw a huge difference, ( hair maturing, more density, less wiery, etc., etc.,) I think it has to do with the hair cycle. Wait it out, you might be surprised...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery.....

This is good advice too. I have seen improvements after month 12, although the hairline is not getting lower.