Dr. Friedman in Scottsdale

Kaelen

I'm considering some graphs with Dr. Shelley Friedman in Scottsdale AZ. He has been doing hair restoration for over 20 years... and has some impressive credentials. He says that he even taught some of the top names listed on these posts. yet I can find no information about him... other than someone saying he's on some list of banned surgeons... or negatively reviewed surgeons. I get the impression that since Dr. Friedman is not a member of this organization... he is being left out of any discussions. That doesn't help me... or any of the hundreds of people who go to his clinic in Scottsdale. If we should know something... it would be helpful. Thanks... Kaelen

I'm considering some graphs with Dr. Shelley Friedman in Scottsdale AZ. He has been doing hair restoration for over 20 years... and has some impressive credentials. He says that he even taught some of the top names listed on these posts. yet I can find no information about him... other than someone saying he's on some list of banned surgeons... or negatively reviewed surgeons. I get the impression that since Dr. Friedman is not a member of this organization... he is being left out of any discussions. That doesn't help me... or any of the hundreds of people who go to his clinic in Scottsdale. If we should know something... it would be helpful. Thanks... Kaelen

Kaelen--- My suggestion is that you head to see Dr. Alexander or Dr. Keene in Arizona--- they have impressive credentials and more importantly impressive results.

It is always a good idea to consult with several docs, but now that your actively researching the internet you can get better feedback and information from clinics who have been spotlighted for several years.

I suggest you do some more research before pulling the trigger.

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Kaelen,

It is important to realize that credentials and years of experience mean very little. Time after time I have seen doctors with an impressive array of credentials to put beside their name, yet they still produce substandard work. So, for your own sake, don't base your decision on credentials. Base it on a record of consistently producing quality work.

It is entirely possible that Dr. Friedman is doing excellent work. But, do you know that for sure? It sounds like you don't and I don't either.

A hair transplant is a big step. Don't take it lightly and don't let geographic location make your decision for you. I would recommend Dr. Alexander based on his work. But, it would also be worthwhile to visit or do a virtual visit with Dr. Ron Shapiro, Dr. Feller, Dr. Epstein, Dr. Cooley, just to name a few.

Gorp

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Thanks Jason. I do feel good about Dr. Alexander... and Dr. Friedman. I haven't met Dr. Keene... because she's in Tucson and I'm in Mesa. I'm now just a little curious why no one seems to have any information about Dr. Friedman. I've consulted with him... and also feel comfortable with him. He's not computer savvy like other younger doctors... and he's not a member of this group. So my curiosity got aroused... as to whether this forum is simply about marketing certain doctors... or really about giving honest transparent recommendations. I just want to hear someone give me some insight into Dr. Friedman. After 20 years... and supposedly training many of the doctors on this site... I thought I would get some positve... or even negative feedback. Thanks... Kaelen.

Kaelen,

I've been in touch with Dr. Friedman in order to learn more about his clinic but we have been playing phone tag. Therefore I can't confirm whether or not he is currently performing state of the art hair transplantation. I hope to know more in the near future.

In the meantime, please do your research and select a physician based on a proven track record of success.

In Arizona, I highly suggest consulting with Dr. Alexander and Dr. Keene, two elite members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physician who have a proven track record of success. See our high level of membership standards here.

Best wishes,

Bill

This site is about recommending certain doctors - that's true. That's because they have been researched and proven to have a solid track record. Pat, the owner of this site is constantly looking for new doctors to recommend, but they MUST prove themselves first.

I am also in the Phoenix area. I have heard of Dr. Friedman for years, but know nothing about his results.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Hello Bill. I appreciate the attempts to find out about Dr. Friedman. Since he's been in business over 20 years... It's hard for me to understand this disconnect. Perhaps Dr. Friedman is not a computer guy... perhaps he is so busy he doesn't care about your coalition... perhaps he doesn't do the best work. I don't know. He is running a 20 year anniversary special.. and because of the special... is considerable less expensive than Dr. Alexander. I may go to Dr. Alexander anyway... just because I want the nicest hairline. But I have to admit... this forum is starting to make be believe... that this is just all about politics and money and marketing. You or someone out there... must have something to say about Dr. Friedman. He claims to have taught... several of the Doctors recommended on this site. His 20 years must have left some trail. I used him for HT over 15 years ago. I realize that much has changed in the past several years... so I need to know if Dr. Friedman is any good... or just hanging on to a 20 year practice. Thanks for whatever help you can give.

Kaleen,

I replied to your other thread and believe you've gotten some good advice from Jason, Bill and Gorpy here.

I can appreciate you wanting to find out more about Friedman but unless you have access to before/after pics of his work, and several of them, I'd highly recommend you try Dr. Alexander, or Dr. Keene, if you're wanting to stay local.

There are many good Docs recommended by this site which have proven themselves over the years. I'd encourage you to browse around a little before making a decision.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Kaelen,

In particular, I have no real information to offer about Dr. Friedman, though he did express interest in potential recommendation. At the Hair Transplant Network, we recommend only those who have proven themselves to perform state of the art hair transplantation. I hope to be working with Dr. Friedman over the next several weeks in order to get a good understanding of his practice, experience, and surgical ability, but this takes time and effort. I will keep you posted on my findings.

Keep in mind that a lack of online visibility doesn't necessarily equal lack of physician ability. Sometimes we have to take our research offline when we can't find any online, by asking for a patient referral list.

However, I am quite confident in Dr. Alexander's and Dr. Keene's ability and think it would be a great disservice to yourself if you don't at least consult with them.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 1 month later...

I believe Dr. Friedman was previously with MHR at one of their locations out west. More recently I thought he was affiliated with Hair Club but he perhaps he has his own practice now. Otherwise I haven't heard anything about him either positive or negative.

Phil

Phoneguy,

I have yet to speak with Dr. Friedman in order to learn more about his clinic so I can't speak about his clinical practices but I wanted to correct a few of your statements from a general technical perspective.

Dr. Friedman didn't place ANY of the grafts on either of my two procedures.

Most physicians don't place the grafts themselves, the highly trained technicians do.

Also, I'm not sure if head-held microscopes were available back in 2005, but Dr. Friedman didn't use one when he prepared the area for the grafts

Most physicians use magnification when creating incisions and placing grafts however, microscopes are standard amongst quality physicians for the graft dissection process.

Congratulations on your recent surgery with Dr. Cooley. I'm pleased to hear that you had a great experience.

I'd also love to see before/after pictures from your hair transplants with Dr. Friedman if you took them.

Best wishes,

Bill

I've said it here before, but I too was impressed with Dr. Cooley and his graft placement. I'm telling you he was in there the whole nine hours or so, with the exception of about 15 minutes. I think he left for that 15 mins. to do a consult with someone. Another guy did a consult at 6:45 a.m., right before my 7 a.m. surgery.

He and this other highly skilled lady placed them all, with Dr. Cooley doing at least half and checking her pretty often too.

I commented a couple of times about how demanding his job is; and he's mostly all business.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Kaelen,

At the time of your post we really didn't know much about Dr. Friedman. He also has no website at present and very little presence on the Web.

However, I was just recently in Arizona visiting leading clinics and was very impressed by the work Dr. Friedman is now doing.

To view the highlights from my visit, click here.

To view my report on Arizona in general, including my visit to Dr. Alexander's clinic, click here.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Hey Pat,

It's good to hear that there is another quality doctor in Arizona.

Ya should of looked me up while in Phoenix. We could've had a beer or two.

Gorp

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

• Administrators

Gorpy,

You've helped a great deal of people on this forum over years. The least I could have done is poured a few beers down you. Sorry I didn't think of it. Let's chalk it up to sun stroke.

But the good news is that I may be able to do much better by you soon. We will be hosting a 10th anniversary party for the Hair Transplant Network at the annual ISHRS meeting in Montreal the first week of September.

Obviously the Hair Transplant Network would be nothing without hardcore hair vets like you so you will be on the VIP list. I haven't announced this party on the forum yet so consider yourself the first to be invited.

It's going to be great to have top notch doctors and hard core forum members meeting and enjoying a great time in person. It's long over due!

Onwards and Upwards, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.