Another case of FRAUD; Here we go again;)

Another day, another clinic lifting our photos for their own use on the web. When will the insanity stop?

I present for your review the Caprice Cosmetic Clinic...

http://www.capricosmetic.com/photos.html

And the result of them having some rather large cajones...

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=HtptNNZd4QM

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Another day, another clinic lifting our photos for their own use on the web. When will the insanity stop?

I present for your review the Caprice Cosmetic Clinic...

http://www.capricosmetic.com/photos.html

And the result of them having some rather large cajones...

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=HtptNNZd4QM

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Joe,

Unlike the previous situation, this is a clear attempt at using another clinics before/after photos and present them as their own.

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

I assume you or someone from Hasson and Wong will be contacting them?

Thanks Joe,

Bill

We actually just called them to feel them out. It's Dr. Stoler (?) and he's supposedly been doing HT's for 14 years. Of course, the website photo gallery was due to "webmaster error" and in using "stock photos". I didn't know our photos were on istockphoto.comicon_smile.gif

The video is a 30 second TV spot they shot and said they will be airing it. Then, Dr. Hasson told them who he really was. To the credit of the person on the phone, he didn't take ownership of the photos and said they may not be patients of the clinic and that he actually hadn't seen the site. The video, for some reason, is on Spanish language Youtube even though the clinic is in the US. Odd that.

Because they didn't say that the patients were actually theirs we asked them nicely to remove the photos and video and not to use the video on TV or in house with our patients. We'll see how it turns out.

Boy, it's amazing how many webmasters out there just keep finding our photos and calling them "stock". What are the odds? Anyway, at least they have GREAT taste. The person from their clinic even said, before we hung up, that they liked the work! HA!

Hey Joe, well, to be honest with you, after seeing the blatant use of many of H&Ws photos on this "capri cosmetics" site, I feel a bit naive about getting so upset for one little photo on the previous HT site...man, I'm just blown away about how often this happens..seems pretty common place. Well, I'm still surprised and a bit shocked, but less pissed off about it. I think the only thing I can do to help is post some pics of my surgery, and simply share my story with those who want to know about my experience. I'm not that internet saavy, so if you'd help me with the pics...I'd appreciate it. I know you have some before pics and pics of the actual surgery..Scott

This is not just wrong, it's scary. Imagine being fooled by this 'clinic' and getting impressed with their photos. Imagine then booking an appointment based on this information and following through with surgery. It's only when you stop and look at the outdated 'micrograft' procedures that they utilize which quickly convinces you to 'run' in the opposite direction.

Jotronic - your website and results speak for themselves and I also would like to commend you and your clinic for consistently posting high-resolution photos with consistent lighting.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

This is a huge problem in this industry---EVERY webmaster knows what is "free game" and what is being lifted from other websites, just as every clinic knows when they are falsely misleading prospective patients.

Joe, you should contact H&W's attorney and sue this clinic.

People seem to believe that we have entered an "enlightened" period of hair transplantation where those seeking to profit from doing poor work are very few and far between.

This proves a clinic deliberately attempted to attract patients through illusory means using another clinics work.

As Joe stated, that is fraud and perhaps if a few stories begin circulating about large tort settlements or clinics having close their doors because of this type of behavior, it might curtail these activities.

Good Catch Phil, thanks for sharing this Joe.

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Here is my opinion from a former webmaster's perspective: using "stock" photos is ok when building a site. But before going live, these photos should be replaced with legitimate ones.

Even though this clinic's site was obviously under construction, their phone number was listed and seeking patients that stumble upon it could have easily mistook these pictures as results from the clinic. This is a lot more dangerous than using a generic picture that shows how a procedure works.

However, general principle dictates that every webmaster should always receive permission from the necessary party if he/she is intending to use anything of theirs.

I disagree with Jason's advice. Everyone seems to be very "sue" happy these days. Though you certainly have a case, I would advise slapping them on the wrist, require them to take them down immediately, and move on with life. If they fail to do this however, legal action may be the next step for copyright infringement. I think this would be more reasonable than slapping someone with a lawsuit immediately.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Best wishes,

Bill

Well, it certainly is within our right but we've asked them nicely to do the right thing. The thing that gets me is that the Youtube video is an actual TV commercial they have shot and is supposed to be airing soon. This is what the person on the phone told us when we called and posed as a regular patient. Bill, you may see this commercial soon if you are live close enough. If so, let me know.

Joe,

The video on youtbue is really upsetting to me and I'd be outraged if this actually makes it to public air.

In my opinion, I can accept much more easily that it's a webmaster mistake for publishing the site with "stock" photos, but the clinic had to be aware of and involved in creating the promotional video.

Keep us posted Joe.

Bill

We had a similar issue about 6 months ago where our pics where used on a Dutch HT website that sells cheap estetic surgery in Turkey. They even had an fake expierence report !

We kindly asked them to remove it and indeed they also came up with the same story that Jo presented here.

They did remove the pics and experience report and replaced them with who knows who's pics.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

Not advice, my opinion.

I disagree with Bill.

Additionally, I am outraged at the thought of the potential harm caused by these actions.

I am not litigious, contrary to my chosen profession, but realistic.

Thanks again Joe,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.