Why so many varying graft counts... even with the top doctors?

I've had several top doctors quote me anywhere from 2100 to 3500+ grafts (30 to roughly 45 per cm2) for the front and mid-crown areas. I know some doctors are limited by their artistry and technical tools, but why is there such a dramatic difference between them.

Thanks

See what you think...

New_Traced_Hairline_Photo_(small).jpg.65b3de6ca6b222616aae95ccd3397113.jpg

I've had several top doctors quote me anywhere from 2100 to 3500+ grafts (30 to roughly 45 per cm2) for the front and mid-crown areas. I know some doctors are limited by their artistry and technical tools, but why is there such a dramatic difference between them.

Thanks

See what you think...

I agree with at least 3500+. To be successfull at big session it takes a team that is highly efficient, its very time consuming. I think it sucks going through the downside of healing ( mine was not too bad either ) but I think its better to have less sessions and more progress, majorly because the downtime and waiting sucks. so why go through it any more than you have to?

go for the max in the first pass....in your case 3000+ (imo)....and you might be happy and be done, or worst case, later need a smaller surgery to refine/add density...

make sure you pick a top doc...

I'm going to agree, your going to want to have at least 3000+ to be satisfied as it will take 1 year to achieve full growth. After that you can have another smaller HT to refine your final result.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

JohnWB,

A good question...as I'd posted before, the first three consults I'd had quoted fewer than half of the grafts that Dr. Feller both recommended and did for me (which was 4200). Popular opinion seems to be that larger sessions require more skill on the part of the doctor and his team, which makes sense...

Regarding your head icon_smile.gif...based on my own experience (check out my photos if you like) I'd agree with other guys here that 3000+ is the least you'd want to consider. I went back and forth on this a little while myself; by the time I got to surgery day I just decided that I'd eat the cost and go for the maximum the Dr. could do in one shot safely. So, who knows, you may want to go as high as 4000...

Benjamin

I'm under the belief that more is better, so I agree with everyone here about 3500+, however, you do want to plan for the future. It is possible, that if you lose more hair in the back area, you will need to get more surgeries. So it's important to plan ahead...it all depends on what your goals are.

• Administrators

As I've posted on this forum before, I'd like to see more discussion and comparison of session sizes based on a total number of hairs moved rather than grafts (i.e. apples to apples comparison).

Some physicians tend towards full follicular units and even "follicular families" (i.e. two follicular units that are so close together that they are trimmed to create one 3 to 5 hair graft), while other physicians grafts are trimmed on the small side and contain less hairs.

In other words, not all follicular unit grafts are created equal.

I do agree that JonWB would be wise to do the maximum sized session that can be safely done without over taxing his donor area. But lets compare apples to apples not apples to oranges here.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Hi guys

I think we also need to look at the patients needs and capabilities. I have had 2 HT's of 1417 and 1476.. I did not want shock loss at all and needed to be very inconspicuous ( nobody knew).. 3000 was not an option in addition to the fact my scalp was SUPER tight after the 1476 procedure.. I could not see how I could have taken any more that time.. More is not always better although it is natual to want the most possible..Keep in mind many people speak about total hairs and not grafts.. There is a big difference there as some docs will trim the FU's Not good!! The healing phase is taxing as I would agree.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Keep in mind many people speak about total hairs and not grafts. There is a big difference there as some docs will trim the FU's Not good!!

What do mean by "trim the FU's?"

BTW, I had another evaluation come in today using the picture I posted here. Dr. Bradley Wolf estimated 2000+ grafts... again, quite a difference of opinion.

Thanks

I strongly agree with Pat. The results folks get with some of the 4,500/5,000/6,000 graft sessions look very impressive but how many hairs does that equate to. This information would be very helpful to all since we are all trying to evaluate our options. My 2,382 graft session rendered 249 ones, 1,299 twos, 713 threes and 121 fours for a total of 5,470 hairs and a hairs/FU ratio of 2.30. I am one week shy of 6 months and can not tell you the final results yet. I am apparently a slow grower and the hair that I have been growing is, as expected like baby hair. I knew going in that I would need two sessions but would have loved to have gotten it all done in one. In my case I had some repair work at my inital session and a fairly tight scalp, but some of the amazing stories of graft counts must make even the most satified patients thinking they made a mistake. This is a frustating process that requires much patience and fortitude and full disclosure so that an educated decision can be made. Patients have no way to handicap the excellent doctors without a hair count comparison. If my fours were divided into ones I could have had almost 3,000 grafts. Further divding my three's would push me toward 3,500 and so on.

Jon,

Trimming FU's means that a doctor will take for example a natural 4 hair follicular unit and cut it in half to get 2 separate FU's consisting of two hairs each. They would then be planted in separate incisions. You are charged for 2 separate FU's but you don't get any more hair out of it. It should be considered unethical unless the patient is made aware of it and agrees to it.

BTW - Dr. Keene does not trim FU's.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery