Propecia, Proscar and Grapefruit Juice:

FUTzyhead

Just some interesting reading- The Grapefruit tip is at the end:

Proscar ( Finasteride 5mg ) was originally developed to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia ( benign prostate enlargement ). After a few years of trials ( and lots of hair lost for those waiting ), Propecia ( Finasteride 1mg ) finally got FDA approval in 1997 for male pattern baldness ( androgenetic alopecia ). Finasteride acts in the body to significantly lower levels of dihydrotestosterone ( DHT ) by inhibiting the type 2 5 Alpha Reductase enzyme which is responsible for the conversion of testosterone into DHT. High amounts of DHT contribute to prostate enlargement as well as hair loss in individuals with a genetic pre-disposition to it.

Why buy Propecia when you can buy Proscar for a whole lot less! Both are made by Merck and contain only Finasteride ( Proscar = 5mg, Propecia = 1mg ). Cost-conscious customers usually buy Proscar and cut the 5mg tablet into fourths ( 1.25mg ) or even fifths ( 1mg ) therefore getting all the benefits of Propecia at a dramatically reduced pricetag.

If you cut Proscar into fourths ( 1.25mg ) you only need 3 boxes to save your hair for the entire year ( 360 days ) compare that to 12 boxes of Propecia and you will realise that Proscar is cheapest way to save your hair and your save your bank balance.

All of our Proscar is manufactured in the United Kingdom by Merck Sharp & Dohme Ltd. and comes foil sealed in boxes of 30 tablets.

Tips...

To increase absorption of Finasteride and help avoid any loss of that precious 1 - 1.25mg due to digestion; preferably take on an empty stomach ( officially Proscar can be taken with / without food ) with a glass of grapefruit juice. Grapefruit juice contains enzymes that help slow down digestion thus boosting ( more or less doubling ) your bloodsteam uptake of Finasteride.

MDM,

"your website and pictures helped me to decide to go ahead and have my HT done"

His hair looks even better in person!!! Pictures can't do it justice.

Mr. T

Yes, many people dont know about Grapefruit as being a potent "absorption" additive. Pro athletes have known this for years and drink Grapefruit not only to increase metobolism, but to increase absorption of certain supplements. Grapefruit inhibits a major enzyme in the liver that is reposible for metabolizing-- the P450 enzyme to be exact. With this enzyme inhibited more drug/supplement go into the the system/bloodstream. Many hypertension (blood pressure) drugs have a warning about taking Grapefruit with particular medicines because it does increase the peak plasma levels of the drug in the bloodstream. For some drugs, like bloodpressure meds, it can be dangerous. For others like Propecia and nutritional supplements, it can have a positive effect of getting more drug in the system.

HI Fuzzyhead,

Very intersting proscar tip. I have to admit I have wondered about this sort of thing, I nver realised that gapefruit were so useful though.

My UK dermatologist told me that Meric recomend the 1 mg pill rather than a split 5mg pill for delivering a good dose of drug as they claim (And my dermatolgist was scketical of this) that the pills casing helps it pass through the stomach without being damaged so it can deliver its full contents to the digestive tract.

Fuzzyhead, you sound like a man with the answer to that sort of conccern. Is 1mg of proscar better than 1mg of broken up ex5mg finasteride becuse it comes in a sealed pill????

I tryed breaking my 5mg pills into 4 and then put the 4 fragments into saw palmetto capsules to ease them through the harser stages of digestion. Cans say it made much difference.

Best

NV