Done my FUE , experiencing Shock Loss

I had my hair transplant using FUE method with Dr Armani using 2500 grafts on my crown.

4 weeks from the surgey I have noticed that I lost the grafted hair which is expected, but what makes me concerned is that I have lost a substantial number of normal hair around the grafted area.

The bald area is much obvious than it was before the surgery and I really don't know if that is normal. The doctor had never mentioned that I may experience a shock loss and I hope the effect of this is not permenant.

I'm currently using Rogaine 5% since I've done the surgery and been following the doctor instructions.

One thing I may have to mention, 1 week after the surgery I passed a really stressful time with the work I'm in could that have a link?.

Planting into diffuse hair, the hair is always susceptible to shock loss. Thats just the way it is. It MAY grow back.

The problem with planting into diffuse loss crown is that some of the shocked hairs may have been weak to begin with and the trauma of surgery sometimes knocks them out for good.

It is not uncommon for hairs to be planted in the crown and not see the expected final density because of the loss of original hairs.

2500 grafts is a good number, you should see an eventual gain.

It is relatively normal to experience some shock loss of the surrounding original hairs 2-4 weeks after the procedure. It is disappointing to hear that you did not have that possibility explained to you in detail prior to the procedure. Some patients might decide not to have the procedure if that was a possibility, but would not get the choice if they did not know about that potential temporary set back. Hopefully most of your shock loss will be temporary. Hang in there and be patient.

Planting into diffuse hair

It would be a bummer not to retain all the hair you had regardless on what state they are in.

Your analysis make sense, though I understand whatever normal hair I have shed will be lost eventually, but had never thought it would be the result of this surgery.

I'm already applying preventive measure to retain whatever I have left using Rogaine , but it seems to be useless since I almost lost all the natural hair in the crown area.

From others exeperience , Is there any chance it can grow back if I stay on Rogaine?.

Do you have a pre op picture to compare?

Rogaine could help the back, works well along side propecia, which you would be wise to take to keep the rest of your hair.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Wish I did retain some pictures for my pre op, I sent my pictures to my doctor and I'm waiting for his reply, will share it with you.

Each time I look to the picture , I get a feeling that i'm a victim of a botched operation, I look like Zidane the football player, I hope I didn't make a bad decision

Shock loss happened to me too and I'm 7 weeks post op. The same thoughts ran through my head, but just make sure you use Rogaine and Propecia. I'm still waiting for new growth but that's normal. Everything should be fine in a few weeks. I know other Armani patients who have experienced shock loss recently and all of them seemingly grew their shock back. Hang in there.. I know I am icon_smile.gif.

• 2 months later...

I'm now 4 month into the surgery, and I noticed some hair growth , the hair from shock is loss is growing back, however I noticed some of the transplanted hair is falling out in a group like with the follicle, which got me worried, from the look of the fallen hair, it looks like it won't grow back again, Is that normal?.

• 3 years later...