HT & Hair system combined?

Hi Guys,

I am 24 years old and am experiencing a receding hairline. I currently take minoxidil and propecia which has maintained good growth on top but has been unsuccessful with stopping frontal regression! Is it possible to have a HT concentrating on rebuilding the hairline for the purposes of having a system behind at a later date?

Cheers,

Blondie

Blond.

-----------------------------

PhD (Experimental and Clinical medicine)

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

Hi Guys,

I am 24 years old and am experiencing a receding hairline. I currently take minoxidil and propecia which has maintained good growth on top but has been unsuccessful with stopping frontal regression! Is it possible to have a HT concentrating on rebuilding the hairline for the purposes of having a system behind at a later date?

Cheers,

Blondie

Blond.

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

Blondie,

Obviously it can be done, but personally it is always the back of the head that gives away even the best of systems. I have seen some guys that have pretty darn good systems and upon examination (as many of us do when we suspect) the give away is the transition from system to native hair along the back.

Why not build up the frontal area and if you can't do the rest for whatever reason it will still look pretty darn good. Remember it is the front that you see in the mirror and what most people see when they meet you. I know of some guys that look awesome even though they only have hair on the frontal 1/2. I never look at them as bald or going bald. They look good. Just a thought.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Yup

Why not plan for a complete restoration rather than using a system.. remmber, you must keep paying for a system forever..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hey guys, thanks for your comments!! I suppose the reason why I'm thinking a hair system at a later date is because I would quite like to have decent density at the front and due to all patients having limited donor hair and the density that would be required to match the front, I felt like a system might be a better option!? I know it sounds like a lot more hassle for maintenance!

I concerned having previously read in other discussion forums, the view of restoring hairlines in young patients as ??unethical'. The general view is that young patients should not lower the hairline as they may get further regression behind and if that happens you are in trouble!! No one to my knowledge has discussed the option of a system at a later date for those who are deeply distraught due to a receding hairline.

Blond.

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

Blondie,

You have been given some good advice and have even seen pictures of another who has done this.

You will have to decide, however, if you will want to deal with the hassle of maintenance and wearing a wig on your head.

It is personal preference for sure...but for me, I know I'd rather have a full (even if a bit thinner) head of hair from using all my donor supply on hair transplantation then wearing a hair piece. I like the idea of being able to maintain my hair normally, shampoo, conditioner, brush and go! I'm not worried about wind, sweat, etc...because it's my hair.

Regarding younger patients and lowering the hairline, etc...the situation we are discussing right now is different.

If you are going to COMMIT to this method, then you can technically restore your hairline as THICK as you want it! BUT...if you do lose all your hair behind your hairline, you will most likely be stuck with this approach.

Be careful which path you go.

Good luck in your decision.

Bill

• Moderators

I don't think the link to the picture in this thread is what Blondie is talking about. I would not just get a line of hair along the hairline. What I think Blondie is saying is why not get the entire front half filled in with transplants and then just have the remaining circle of crown covered with a hair system. This way you get a full look without the front looking fake.

When I went for my HT years ago this was exactly my thinking. I was wearing a hair system for 7 months before going in for the HT. I was early 20s and already a NW 5-6. I thought even if I can't get full coverage maybe I can at least get the front half done and continue to wear the system to cover the back while I'm young. Later as I get older I could remove the hair system and still look age appropriate as I would have hair in the front half and just a bald spot in the back. If I'm lucky then maybe I could get a small amount of hair transplanted to the bald area at that time to get thin coverage there too.

It sounded a lot better than "You're too young for a hair transplant. Stay bald for 15 or 20 years and then get just the front portion covered." Heck, if I was only going to get the front covered at age 40 why not get the front covered at 20!?

So... yes I do think the half and half approach is a good idea for certain people. For me, unfortunately, the mother-@#$%^& bastard "doctor" told me I was crazy and convinced me that I had some disease and HAD to have a transplant for my entire head because all of my hair would fall out if I didn't. To prove to me they could give me the same thick coverage over my entire head that the hair system gave me, he started the transplant on the top/back of my head first. They didn't do the hairline until several sessions later.

Looking back later i realized he did that just to be sure I'd keep going back there and they'd maximize their profit potential from me because if he did the hairline first I would have stopped going for more transplants.

I ended up not having enough donor for the front and had to have some of the grafts in the back taken out and then re-transplanted to the front.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Behappy, you have really hit the nail on the head (so to speak lol)!

I know that what Bill informs us of is very true and essential for young patients to consider. And I know that in 10-20 years time I will be just as vein as I am now. But the truth is... for someone who has lost all of their confidence due to hair loss, to just have 10 more years with a nice hair line seems almost worth the risk alone because despite having a thick head of hair on top... I can't style it how I would like and basically hate it anyway. It makes me feel 20 years older now anyway! It has been made worse due to comments from people that they have always loved my hair. Its not that I think hair is even that important when considered in isolation. I think it's the shape of the face/contours. I see a lot of guys before and after pics and I actually think they look quite cool and young with a shaved head. The problem with me is I know I will look awful and a lot older due to shape of head etc. Its also quite difficult if you are blonde and fair skinned as you rely on hair to give contrast to facial appearance.

To some sense I have already decided that I will not let myself go bald...I'm just deciding now the best way to go about it(to achieve a natural look) and when to act on it. My current plan is to save up and wait at least another year or two (at most), to see how my hair loss develops. Then I will bring the hair line/temples back to what looks aesthetically pleasing (that isn't to say I want to restore my 16 year old hair line). Then bite the bullet, and see what happens other the next few years and decide from there. The way I see it.. as behappy stated, even if the front hair is restored I believe that will satisfy me vs waiting to go very thin all over.

It is of course silly that someone can be so put of life because of hair loss, I know..but I just am. And the truth is people judge you more whilst you younger and that why it's such a difficult subject to address and the ethics involved are even more complicated.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Blond.

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

Blondie,

After the explanation by yourself and behappy, I am starting to understand your plight a little bit more and see where you are coming from. There is another thread right now about a young guy going heavy on the frontal region and I guess as long as there is a lot of thought in the process and a person goes into the procedure well informed it is there decision. Hopefully all works out as planned. I commend you on researching things. Best of luck.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Blondie,

Personally...I can understand that approach a whole lot better than wearing a hair system behind a transplanted hairline only.

Of course...personally....

I'd think...if you are only going to cover a small area with a hair system, why not go the whole nine yards with the HT and ditch the concept of a system?

Whatever you decide is up to you...just consider all your options and I trust you'll be satisfied with whatever decision you make if you are thorough in your research.

Bill