Potential Recommendation of Dr. William Lindsey of Reston, VA

In all fairness to any future doctor being possibly recommended on this forum, I will openly admit that my stance has always been to limit to the truly elite. I believe what is truly best for the patients is to provide a list of those that are at the top of the profession and lets face it, there are going to be some that are just hands down more talented than others. It happens in any profession.

I understand the premise is to help those that are unable or unwilling to travel and I can appreciate that. In good faith however, I can only support those that are truly elite or have demonstrated superior skills on a consistent basis. Any time you add more to the list of recommended surgeons you are watering the field of talent in my opinion.

There could possibly be the arguement that by increasing the list, will only force those at the top of their game to continue to strive for further excellence. Either way, I personally don't believe in recommending someone that has only shown a handful of their work. Consistency is what we need. We also all know that photos can be very deceiving and it would be nice to hear from more patients.

Well....Hmmm... Just saw above post indicating that he is now recommended. Why do I waste the time??

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

Your breath is not wasted and you certainly have a voice and it should be heard. However, the decision was already made before your post (this thread has been here for several days now).

I can clearly understand your stance. I agree that it would be nice if every single patient of every single physician would post their experience and photos online so that we could get a better public feel as to who is truly producing consistent state of the art results. Though this is optimal, it's not always possible.

Dr. Lindsey has been posting on and off for over a month now, and we've evaluated his work both off and online. Though I understand a certain level of skepticism, I hope that you trust that Pat and I are not going to recommend any physicians who we don't believe is truly doing state of the art work.

It still remains up to seeking patients to do their own research and select physicians based on their own research. But based on everything we have seen, we believe Dr. Lindsey is worthy of recommendation.

Thanks for your input.

Bill

Now let's make sure we keep this thread on topic to discuss Dr. Lindsey's recommendation.

Bill,

This post was at 9:16 and your very next post at 9:24 indicates that he is already recommended?

We have been down this road several times. In all truth the members have absolutely no say in recommendations. That's OK, it's Pat's site. But why continually ask members opinions??

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

Though I appreciate your concerns, for you to say that "members have absolutely no say in recommendation" is untrue and highly unfair.

Member input is strongly considered before making the final decision for who is ultimately recommended. If you look back on all the other responses in this thread, the overwhelming majority are highly positive. Some of these include:

-------------

Thanatopsis_Awry says: "From all I have seen and heard I think Dr. Lindsey is definitely deserving"

Dewayne says: "My vote is yea, as he has trained under the HTN god and has a lot of experience in plastic surger"

Stevo says: "Everything i have seen on here so far from Dr Lindsey looks top notch. He has my vote "

IntheIndustry says: "My vote is ABSOLUTELY"

-------------

Additionally, if you read all of the remarks under Dr. Lindsey's photos, there are a multitude of glowing reviews. The one who probably gave him the hardest time, was me, since I was evaluating him thoroughly to see if he meets our criteria. For an example of this, see my comments on this thread as I challenge him to explain more in detail about the result as it didn't seem to be a true reflection of reality. My critique required him to explain his approach and the accuracy of the pictures.

I must say however, that I am troubled because I remember seeing a glowing remark from you on one of Dr. Lindsey's photo albums, but I can no longer find it. Did you remove it?

Additionally, when forum members on previous potential recommendations asked for additional photos to consider, we've always asked the doctors to provide this information.

Nervous....since you have seen this process before, it should come as to no surprise that Pat and I ultimately make the FINAL decision however, ALL member input is strongly considered, including yours. We recognize that not everyone will agree on this. But based on the evidence of what we've seen on and offline and the overwhelming positive response, we have decided to recommend him.

This post was at 9:16 and your very next post at 9:24 indicates that he is already recommended?

What you failed to mention here is that this thread was opened March 14th at 12:16pm, almost a full week ago which gave members ample time to give their feedback before the final decision was made. When you presented your concerns, Pat and I already decided to recommend him based on ALL that we've seen so far. I came on last night late to announce his recommendation and saw your concern. Out of courtesy to you, I responded to your concerns FIRST before announcing his official recommendation. As always, your voice is appreciated and your concerns will be answered, even if answering them doesn't mean doing things exactly the way you'd want them done.

Please also remember that NOT everyone who applies for recommendation is accepted. We get a lot of requests for potential recommendation from physicians all over the world and over the last several months, we have turned down a numer privately. We never bother to present them publicly because short and sweet, they don't meet our standards.

Once again, we recognize that not everyone will agree, but all of the evidence and responses points to "yes" for recommendation.

Thanks for understanding.

Bill

The dialogue in this thread is exactly why this forum is the best of the best. I truly appreciate NN's voice and understand his side of the debate! It does seem somewhat like a formality for our opinions to be asked and within a blink of an eye the recommendation be granted.

But I think for the questioned to even be posed and for the Dr. to even be considered, Pat and Bill had already done the necessary research. And there were a handful of veteran voices that quickly spoke in favor of Dr. Lindsey being recommended. I'd be willing to bet if members had publicly or privately spoke against the recommendation, more research and/or evaluation would have been done.

I've personally been impressed by some of Dr. Lindsey's results but would've liked to seen more "wow's" before inducting him into the elite.

MBM,

Thank you for your feedback and support.

For clarification, introducing a physician for potential recommendation is not mearly a formality as opinions are member's opinions are highly valued and considered before making a final decision. Pat and I however, do reserve the right to make the final decision on who is recommended.

Keep in mind too that Dr. Lindsey is now recommended but is not yet a member of the Coalition. To see the difference between our standards for recommendation and the standards for the Coalition, click here.

In time and with enough positive patient feedback and an "in person" review by Pat Hennessey, our online Publisher, he may eventually be eligible for the Coalition. See our Coalition membership standards here.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

I choose not to get into a long drawn out debate over this topic once again. I voiced my opinion as I wanted and I feel its the right thing.

Couple of points:

1. Aside from Thana the other members with raving reviews have a total of 252 posts. Now readily I'll admit that all that states is that they are not a loser like myself with no apparent life, but very likely not overly educated about the HT process.

2. Yes I have posted elsewhere about good results/great results of Dr. Lindsey. I have never deleted them. That's all it was--a statement about the pics presented. It did not state that I think that he has shown any consistency.

3. I infact even told one member to check him out. Again that is not giving my recommendation, but nothing more than a statement that he likely won't get butchered going there. The poster was from the same area so why not do a consult.

4. My arguements are not about Dr. Lindsey per say, but about this entire process of recommending docs. If you look at past threads it is always a concern of mine and some others. Hell, its why we lost Cousinit.

5. You state that there are several docs that you don't recommend but it is only done privately. Please make it public as it might add some legitimacy to this whole process.

This is my last post on the topic. You know my opinion.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

Well I'm sorry you feel the way you do honestly. Just because the process isn't done exactly how you would like it to be done does not make the process illegitimate. That is a very narrow minded view.

If you really question our intentions, I think you ought to have a look at the Dr. Deyarman lawsuit thread here. Pat and I will only recommend those we believe in based on strict criteria. We are not infallible. If we see evidence that a physician is no longer doing quality work, they are promptly removed and cannot bully their way back on.

Pat and I work hard to ensure that physicians are accurately meeting our standards before even presenting them for recommendation. It is true that the entire process is not done in front of your eyeballs online, so there is a partial trust that you place in us (Pat and I) as representatives of this site to recommend only the best.

But this is why as part of the recommendation process, we ask physicians to present public evidence of patient results and live surgery to obtain member feedback. This gives members a chance to share their opinions and previous patients a chance to speak up.

We are not infallible and always ask ALL seeking patients to do proper research before selecting a physician for surgery. But each surgeon we recommend has been prescreened and publicly scrutinized before making the final decision on their recommendation.

Bill

As one who has stated that I feel Dr. Lindsey is deserving of "recommended" status, I think I should state my reasoning, as it relates to what *I* think the status entails, and perhaps the entire concept behind "recommended" & "coalition" docs -- or at least how *I* view it.

Fundamentally, I feel that Lindsey gaining the status does a very good service to MPB-sufferers looking into a HT; particularly since the area he works in is so lacking in people approaching anything resembling quality, refined work. Even in that general region, not just the state of Virginia, there is but Dr. Vogel -- who is in Maryland. Based off of the work I have seen of Lindsey, I think he no doubt is capable of performing refined work; and I also feel he has a genuine concern for being a...progressive doc....that is to say, he is someone who will continue attempts at improving his work, and divulging it online.

No doubt, it isn't a perfect science figuring out not only if someone can perform refined work, but also if they are consistent, which is of course extremely important; I don't think this holds *particularly* true for Dr. Lindsey, but for every doctor. Many of the recommended doctors on this site I myself could not give a knowing opinion on -- due to not doing a lot of research on them, but also just not seeing or hearing much about them on the forums. At the same time, by virtue of their recommended/coalition status, based off of a faith in Pat/Bill as well as a smorgasborg of work shown -- even if it is limited work that doesn't guarantee in and of itself great consistency -- I have a strong sense that they are legit places and should...*be looked into*.

I don't think being a recommended doc (and to a lesser degree a coalition doc) means or says you 100% can and should go to Dr. X; moresoe, it is a tool of guidance for people looking into HTs to get a better sense of the fact that...standards do exist in the industry and there is an appreciable difference in quality from place to place....and that this would be a very sound starting point to look into and move forward on.

I also think a level of credence should be given to the fact that Feller -- who by all accounts is an incredibly discriminating and ethical man -- has worked closely with Lindsey and publically endorsed him. Again, I think neither this nor any of the aforementioned should make Lindsey an indelible piece of the recommended pie; and if he were to gain Coalition status I feel much more work and patient experiences should be documented. To me, though, between what I feel to be a capability for ultra-refined work, a willingness to improve, the public endorsement of an esteemed doc, and the service his "recommended" status does to people looking at HTs in the area, I def feel it is a sound move.

Depends on what we feel "recommended"/"coalition" should be and/or what it is. Whether members should have much a say -- or whether they do have much a say -- I'm really not sure; but I figure we have more say in STOPPING someone from getting admittence, than we do in getting someone admittence.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!