tanning after procedure

Try searching the site for other threads on this. I remember it being discussed before and I believe you're supposed to be very, very careful the first year with the best option not tanning at all. I believe Troy mentioned something about a tanning bed he used blocks harmful UV (or some type) rays and you just tan and have no chance to burn.

Something else that has been mentioned if you're pink after a HT and try to tan is the risk of hyperpigmentation- this is where your skin would permanently be a pinkish tint.

Again........this is what I've heard, I'm no expert. Anyone else who's more studied please respond. I'd advise you to call your HT surgeon on this one if you're thinking about it.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

OK, I had seen something like that but couldn't find it based upon searching the site. I had a feeling that tanning was a bad idea and probably wouldn't do it. I have had to be outside for 30 to 45 minutes without a hat but couldn't help it over the last few days. I haven't noticed a problem. But I think I will pass on the tanning and hope the pink goes away over the next few months.

Thanks.

Hairbank is fairly accurate there. Even the smallest incisions for placing grafts DO create a tiny tiny wound with resulting tiny tiny scar tissue. As most know, scar tissue does not contain the same melanin pigmentation normal skin does and can be discolored by even slight over exposure to the sun. It may be tiny, but 4000 tiny tiny wounds potentially could create a patten. This is ofcourse only within the first few weeks/month or two after surgery. Once its healed, I don't believe it does anything.

I had a transplant back in September and have been tanning since. I use a stand up tanning booth and just keep my hat on. Not all the way on mind you, just enough to cover my scalp. Have not had any problems at all and I have a nice tan!