Tulsa clinic

homer

There were some very negative posts about this clinic on this board. A low price is not necessarily a bargain in the end.

"THE ARC OF DISCOVERY IS VERY LONG, BUT IT BENDS INEXORABLY TOWARD TRUTH."

I looked at their website and thought it was TERRIBLE!

They showed one picture of one of their patients( which by the way looked crappy), then they refer you to the ISHRS website? Don't they have any of their own patients to show? Their site is MISLEADING, and should be banned.

radiosky,

It's your first post... and you happen to be from Tulsa... and you happen to know that "the web site was rebuilt in the last few hours and more pics were added"... and you offer no opinion on the clinic.

Can you tell us more about yourself? Your post reads like it was written by someone who owns this clinic or has some interest in it.

Thanks,

Mr. T

The new pictures are not overly impressive. The guy who got 2000 grafts has a noticable pluggy look. The last patient photo makes it difficult to even judge the quality of the work.

The web site does not give me a lot of confidence in that clinic.

WEALTHY CLINICS WHO SUE PATIENTS WHO VOICE THEIR DISATISFACTION STIFLE THE FREE EXCHANGE OF INFORAMATION THAT IS SO VALUABLE TO THIS BOARD:

SOME QUESTIONS I MIGHT ASK IN WRITING TO THIS CLINIC - AND WOULD ASK THAT THE RESPONSES BE MADE IN WRITTEN, UNAMBIGUOS LANGUAGE AND SIGNED BY THE SURGEON HIMSELF. THESE QUESTIONS ARE JUST MEANT TO INSURE THAT THE CONSUMER IS EDUCATED AND WELL INFORMED WITH REGARD TO THIS CLINICS PRACTICES. IN FAIRNESS, THIS CLINIC SHOULD HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO RESPOND IN WRITING TO THESE QUESTIONS:

THE QUESTIONS: 1)HAS A DISATISFIED PATIENT EVER POSTED HIS POST OP PHOTOS ON THIS BOARD SEEKING HELP AND ADVICE BECAUSE THE PATIENT BELIEVED HE HAD BEEN CHEATED BY THIS CLINIC? 2) DID THIS CLINIC INITIATE ANY LEGAL ACTION OR THREAT AGAINST THIS PATIENT. 3) SUBSEQUENT TO ANY POSSIBLE LEGAL ACTION, IF SUCH ACTION IS ADMITTED, DID THE COMPLAINING PATIENT WITHDRAW HIS COMPLAINTS? 4) HAS NEGATIVE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS CLINIC EVER BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS BOARD, AND IF SO, DID THIS HAIR CLINIC EXERT, SUGGEST DEMAND, COAX OR THREATEN LEGAL ACTION IN ANY WAY AGAINST THE POSTER OF THE INFORMATION? 5) DID THE HYPOTHETICAL POSTER DESCRIBED ABOVE CLAIM THAT HE WAS TOLD THAT HE WAS NOT ENTITLED TO SEEK A SECOND OPINION FROM ANOTHER PHYSICIAN WITH REGARD TO THE HAIR COUNT HE WAS PROMISED VERSUS THE ACTUAL NUMBER OF TRANSPLANTS HE RECIEVED? 6) WILL THIS CLINIC PROMISE ALL FUT TRANSPLANT PROCEDURE USING THE SAME MAGNIFICATION TECHNIQUES USED BY THE RECOMMENDED DRS. ON THIS BOARD? 7) WILL THIS CLINIC AGREE IN WRITING, IN ADVANCE, THAT THEY WILL SUPPORT THE INSPECTION OF THEIR WORK BY ANOTHER PHYSICIAN DURING THE FIRST WEEK POST SURGERY IN ORDER TO VERIFY THE NUMBER OF GRAFTS TRANSPLANTED ?

I THINK THIS IS FAIR QUESTIONNAIRE FOR ANYONE SEEKING TRANPLANT SURGERY AT A CLINIC THAT IS NOT RECOMMENDED ON THIS BOARD. AFTER ALL, THEY ARE AN "UNKNOWN QUANTITY" AND IT SEEMS FAIR THAT THESE QUESTIONS BE ANSWERED AS A SIGN OF GOOD FAITH. IF THE CLINIC WON'T ANSWER SUCH QUESTIONS IN WRITING, ASK YOURSELF IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH THESE LOWCOST TRANSPLANTS?

"THE ARC OF DISCOVERY IS VERY LONG, BUT IT BENDS INEXORABLY TOWARD TRUTH."

This Tulsa Hair Clinic seems to appear again on this board from time to time. And they always seem to produce a poster or two to "defend" them.

It is a pretty pathetic process of PR, in my opinion.

TheVictim, who was basically sued not to post here by that Tulsa clinic, had a very bad experience. Maybe others had good ones, but those guys ONLY appear when negative posts on that place appear on this site. It is completely a reactionary process on that place.

My thoughts/opinions: I would not have an HT there. There are better choices.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Well,

I've been an active reader of this site for some time now, and finally had to log on and reply on the postings regarding the HTC of Tulsa, or the "Tulsa Clinic". I am a veteran of HT, I had my first about 13 years ago in the early 90's and have had 5 since. My first couple of plug graft sessions was done by Dr. McClellon when he first started out at a "chain clinic" in the midwest. (nothing big-- only about 90 large grafts total). Then I found out about Dr. Norwood in Oklahoma City (Norwood scale)... At the time, early 90's he was the expert and very well regarded in the community (Shapario and others were just getting established)... Dr. Norwood was great with advance technology/state of the art techniques during this time when the "old plug/mini graft" techniques were used. (Norwood has since retired). During my various sessions with Dr. Norwood, I noticed his head nurse-- Nurse Betty and assistant nurse (Nurse Clair)-- Yes the same ones at the now Tulsa Clinic, were trying to do more of the HT procedures-- Dr. Norwood would do most, but they would always be pressuring/asking him to do more of the procedures. They were extremely nice but seemed to want to be "MD's" instead of Nurses. Nurse Betty had been with Dr. Norwood since the beginnng in the late 60's, however shortly after my last HT appartently Dr. Norwood and Betty had a "falling out" for unexplained reasons? (Nurse Clair had left a yr prior). It was at this time Nurse Betty started working at the Tulsa Clinic starting up HT and trying to compete with Dr. Norwood (who had since brought on a new young doctor--Dr. Lehr to train and eventually preceed him after retirement)... The Tulsa Clinic then tried to compete with the Norwood Clinic by offering unheard of low prices for HT. From my information, Nurse Betty and Nurse Clair who she was able to rehire, were doing all of the HT procedures-- including donor removal, graft placement, and closure. My last procedure with Dr. Norwood about 5 years ago was my first FU HT (which turned out great) and it was the only time I had a problem in almost a decade of HTs. This is the one time that Nurse Betty closed my donor area which seemed to be just like my previous 5 procedures when Dr. Norwood closed, however after going back to the hotel, taking my meds, watching TV, and putting ice on my donor area I feel to sleep (with some mild prescribed sleeping pills) only to be awakened about an 1 1/2 hrs later with something dripping down the back of my neck. Still half out of it, I reached around to wipe off what I thought was just "sweat" to find blood running down my neck and back. I got out of bed and my entire pillow, shirt, and part of the bed sheet was soaked with Blood-- I dont know how long I had been bleeding before I woke up-- but I'm glad I woke up. I immediately got into my car, still half out of it, and proceded back to the clinic-- calling on my cell phone ahead to tell them of the conidition. When I got there, Dr. Norwood was already out and Nurse Betty looked alarmed. SHe called in Dr. Lehr who was in the office at the time and he stitched up a small area the was appartently left open during the initial closure. It was a small area that only required just 2-3 stitches, but one that should have been done at time of closure-- I could have BLED OUT!

Sorry, for the lengthy posting, but being the first posting, I wanted to give my experience with HT, background, and opinion in relation to the personnel at the TUlsa CLinic. I really believe Nurse Betty and Nurse CLair probably are one of the top experience HT nurses in the country with decades of experience and are 2 of the nicest people you will meet, but are not MD's-- bottom line. And in my opinion which is just one person's, they want to be in charge and think they know as much as a MD in regards to HT which has resulted from the postings I've been reading on the Tulsa Clinic. There are roles and responsiblies of each person regardless of experience and if you have not been to Med School and received your MD regardless of the experience, you should not be participating in medical procedures beyond that of the role of your responsibility-- in this case a Nurse or assistant. That's just my professional opinion, not to take anything away from Nurse Betty and Clair for they are wonderful, carring people.. BUT ARE NOT DOCTORS--PERIOD.

Just my opinion.

I am from Tulsa, so I naturally looked into this clinic when doing my initial research. It didn't take me long to realize I would rather fly halfway across the country than go to this clinic here in my back yard. It may cost me a few hundred bucks more, but I think it's money well spent.

Notice also on their website that for comparison purposes, they state the "usual" cost as $8 per graft, which makes their $3 look very attractive. Having consulted with several of the top doctors in this field, I don't know anyone that charges close to $8 per graft, with the exception of FUE. The average is closer to $4 - $5. Again, money well spent for the difference in quality.