Hi, I am a woman who has been experiencing thinning hair for 12 years now. I live in California and was wondering if anyone has had a good experience with a hair transplant doctor from ca. I have had a consult with dr. sword, but have not heard really any good news on this forum about him. Are there any women who have had good transplants here in California, and if so do you have any pictures.

Thank You

I am a woman

Hi, I am a woman who has been experiencing thinning hair for 12 years now. I live in California and was wondering if anyone has had a good experience with a hair transplant doctor from ca. I have had a consult with dr. sword, but have not heard really any good news on this forum about him. Are there any women who have had good transplants here in California, and if so do you have any pictures.

Thank You

I am a woman

Hello "I am a woman",

I have to put your name in quotes so nobody thinks I am saying that I AM A WOMAN! You know what I mean?

Anyway...forgive me for my cheezy sense of humor...I've had a long day.

Welcome to our community.

Certainly there have been women on our community, but the numbers are more rare.

A few general things to consider...

1. Don't let location determine who you ultimately have surgery with.

2. Research doctors (I recommend researching our coalition doctors: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content.../our_physicians.asp) and look for patient before/after photos from those doctors on the forums. Look for positive consistent results.

3. Educate yourself about hair transplantation, the benefits and risks, etc.

Remember also that not all people are candidates for hair transplantation.

Depending on the amount of hair loss and donor availability is a major factor in determining a successful restoration.

Think about what you'd like to accomplish for your hair loss condition and develop reasonable and realistic goals with the helpf of a qualified surgeon.

I have also read bad things about Dr. Sword as well...though I don't know too much about him.

I hope this helps get you started,

Bill

Stay away from Sword period.

In fact, stay away from all things Crown, Sword, etc...

I would recommend you consult with Dr. Rassman in So Cal in order to see what it is like to have a first class consult and then go from there.

Anyway, if travel is not an deterrent I would suggest following Bill's advice.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

hello i am woman

i am man.

here are a few tips to get you started.

rtc

HT TIPS

Don't ever let travel be a major factor, ever. You will fly to the ends of the earth to get it repaired. Believe me I have read the stories & seen the pictures. Many pick up 1/2 your airfare & put you up for 2 nights. You can consult with these doctors by phone or email. I think phoning will get you better response. Have all your questions written down to get as much answered as possible. Take some good clear pictures from all angles & have them loaded into your computer to send to doctor before you talk about ht.

rtc

"The True Wisdom in Making a Decision about a HT is Knowing What to Accept not Just What to Expect."

Dr Hasson & Dr Wong - Vancouver, Canada - Strip

Dr Feller - Great Neck, NY ??“ USA ??“ Strip & FUE

Dr Cole - Atlanta, GA ??“ USA ??“ Strip & FIT

Dr Wolf - Cincinnati, Ohio ??“ USA ??“ Strip & FUE

Dr Ron Shapiro - Bloomington, MN ??“ USA - Strip

Dr Armani - Toronto, Canada ??“ Strip & FUE

Dr Rahal ??“ Ottawa, Canada ??“ Strip & FUE

Hi--

I'm a woman also (really!), and I have to say, that the guys have given you excellent advice.

I would only add that I feel that finding a HT doctor who is experienced in working with women is extremly important. All the doctors I researched, spoke with and consulted with are in the coalition, and not all of them have the same experience (or frankly...interest) in female patients as they do in male patients.

And again, don't let location be your prime concern...find the best doctor that you possibly can for your particular situation.

Wishing you the best of luck!!! icon_smile.gif

Hello, "I am a woman,"

I am also a woman, and I had a hair transplant 15 months ago. My hair wasn't thinning all over as you describe, but had receded at the temples, more like a male pattern. I received 1550 FUs in the temples, and am pretty happy with the results I got.

Everyone has given you good advice so far. Do not let geography limit you. Do as many phone consults or internet consults with the recommended surgeons on this site (preferably those in the coalition, because their methods are the most refined and will likely give you the best cosmetic result.)

Having said that much, also know that if your loss is a diffuse thinning all over the scalp, you may be a very poor candidate for a hair transplant. The reason for that is when you transplant hairs into areas where hair already exists, the existing hairs can be shocked out. In fact, women seem to suffer this side effect more often than men. And if the hairs shocked out were destined to fall out permanently within a few years because they were affected by androgenic alopecia, they will likely not come back. Also, women who are true diffuse thinners (who suffer from androgenic alopecia) don't have the same "safe zone" for a donor area that men do.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble or prevent you from doing more research...in fact, I would encourage you to get as much knowledge on the subject as possible. Just be prepared for the possibility that if you suffer from diffuse thinning all over (that is you have androgenic alopecia), you may not be a good candidate for a hair transplant.

I really feel for your situation. Hair loss hurts for anyone, but cuts that much deeper for women because society does not expect us to suffer from hair loss to the degree that men do.

Please feel free to send me a private message if I can answer any more questions for you.

Great point about the diffuse thinning and the likelihood of her being a poor candidate for HT.

Be very careful how you proceed... Dr's may not make this as clear as this previous post from angel706. They tend to lean towards the optimistic side.

h2

Thank you everyone for the great advice. It is true that some docs don't really tell you if they think you have diffuse thinning. I had my consult with a doctor and he said i would be a great candidate for a ht, but i think that i may actually have diffuse thinning all over. I am kinda hoping that the most current thinning has alot to do with the fact that i just had 2 babies in the last 2 years. But i did start losing my hair after my first child 12 years ago. The nice healthy hair i used to have before that never did come back. It just kept getting thinner over the years. I hope this gets better. I have seen my regular doctor and also a dermatoligist. They did not find anything wrong healthwise. They suggested that i take a multi vitamin and biotin. I have been doing this for almost 2 months now. I have heard that a woman can have shock loss after the birth of a baby. What else can cause this and what exactly is it? I mean i think i have some kind of an idea. But any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again everyone

I think that some hairloss after childbirth is extremely common...I experienced it myself with both my children. I think it has something to do with shifting hormone levels. My hair looked great and grew incredibly quickly while I was pregnant, but unfortunately I noticed substantial thinning a few months postpartum.

Ah, yes, the postpartum shed. I've read where this happens to about half of women after pregnancy, maybe more. I was one of them. I had three boys, one in July 2000, one in April 2003 and one in February 2005. With each pregnancy, I started noticing ridiculous amounts of hair fall (probably around 400 hairs a day...yikes!) starting at around 2 1/2 months after delivery. The loss would continue for about three months before gradually going back to my normal shed pattern. I tended to notice each time that the shedding was the worst in the front hairline, temples, just over the ears and at my lower neckline. And it does take a while for your hair to get back to "normal" following a pregnancy. I would give it at least 18 months before you start feeling like you were back to where you where pre-pregnancy.

Because my last two were so close together (22 months apart) I had just started to feel like my hair was getting back to "normal" after delivery number 2 when -- bang! -- pregnant again! I had the misfortune of also losing a lot of hair during my first trimester with #3. So by the time I was at the end of my third pregnancy and feeling like my hair was presentable again, here comes the postpartum shed AGAIN! I shed so badly after my third kiddo that I ended up buying a wig about six months postpartum. I never ended up wearing it much because it was July and too bloomin' hot...but it made me feel better to have a nice one on hand.

So yes, short answer is that postpartum hair loss can be quite significant, and it can take quite a while for it to reverse itself.

So for any men who may be reading this thread, if your wife/partner is pregnant, be prepared to be EXTREMELY sympathetic if she experiences this shed. It is very disheartening and she will need your support and reassurance.

By the way, I Am a Woman, when were your children born?

So for any men who may be reading this thread, if your wife/partner is pregnant, be prepared to be EXTREMELY sympathetic if she experiences this shed. It is very disheartening and she will need your support and reassurance.

Angel,

Good challenge and advice angel. I would think if anyone can be sympathetic to their wives regarding hair shedding, it's the men of this community who battle or have battled for years with hair loss.

It's nice to hear a woman's perspective on this. Thank you also for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Bill

I'm a woman...

I would also recommend having your thyroid tested too. In 1994, I had a tubal pregnancy & my hair thinned a little & by 1996, I was so concerned that I went to the doctor & found out my thyroid was very low. Pregnancy (as well as other hormonal changes) can affect your thyroid function. After being on thyroid replacement for two years, my hair didn't get grow back but did not get any thinner. Then, I had a few surgeries in a short time & experienced more shock loss (which is why I ended up having HT eventually)

But, I'd check my thyroid & iron levels to be on the safe side. If you catch it early, you may not lose as much hair.

• 2 weeks later...

I had been to many consults before going with Epstein. All the drs said I had good donor hair which isn't always the case with women. My crown is thinning so I'll need another round. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll check out a wig eventually. I've seen actresses who wear them and they do look natural.

• 2 months later...

I am a woman,

Where are you losing your hair? Are you losing it on the sides and back of your head and the top, or just the top?

Have you been examined by a doctor? I think ruling out hair loss for medical reasons would be your first plan of attack. If indeed it is medical - perhaps its treatable and your hair will all return.

If it turns out to be hereditary hair loss (Androgenetic Alopecia), trying to slow down/stop the loss with medication is the next move. Are you currently on any medication? You may want to consider minoxodil for women if it's determined to be hereditary loss.

Hair Transplantation, though it may be a viable option for you should be the last line of defense in restoring your hair. Consider consulting with one of our coalition hair restoration physicians.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Bill, thanks for the info. Yes i have been to the dermatalogist about this. He tested all the medical reasons for hair loss, and he thinks mine in hereditary. But is it normal to have an itchy scalp all day long when losing hair? Most of my hair loss is in the front hair line and on top of my head, but it seems like my hair is thinning everywhere, but i am not sure. I saw Dr. Sword about 6 months ago, and he said i would be a good candidate for ht, but he did not talk to me about shock loss, or if he thought i should use monoxidil or anything else. Please any advice would be very helpful and appreciated. Do you have any suggestions for a Doc in Cal.

I am a woman,

I would be extremely cautious in your physician selection.

Dr. Sword doesn't have the best reputation in this community. Using the find feature of this community should give you up to 5 years of information.

Click here for a list of recommended doctors in the state of CA.

However, do not let location be your decision maker on which physician you choose.

Research patient experiences and photos online which is the best source of information. Look for consistency in results and that they impress you.

After that - I'd begin your consultations.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by I am a woman:

Hi, did anyone get my message about if my thinning hair could be due to the fact that i had two babies recently?

My wife noticed hair loss (slight) with the birth of our second daughter. she is very educated and told me its quite normal and it will grow back. so you might get your hair back if it is related to the pregnancies.

Thanks again Bill,

I have looked at a few of the doctors on the post you suggested, but i do not see any women who look like they have the same kind of hair loss that i am experiencing. I was hoping you might have a suggestion for a good doc who is experienced in women. Also I am not currently using anything to help the hair loss. Do you think maybe i should use monoxodil or something else to slow it down? I am afraid to use monoxodil, because i have heard that if you stop using it the hair loss becomes worse.

thanks for any info you could offer me.

Does anyone else have any suggestions, Expecially women.

I am a woman,

I know this has been discussed but I can't remember your answer...

Have you consulted with a doctor at all to determine whether or not the cause of your hair loss is due a potential postpartum shed like angel706 mentioned?

Have you tried using minoxodil or anything else to help restore your hair?

I would hate to see you go through hair transplantation if the hair is going to return naturally.

That being said - consulting with a hair restoration physician is still a good idea. Just make sure you explain your entire situation to them so they can perform an analysis on you to determine the best means of hair restoration. An ethical hair transplant physician will not rush you into a hair transplant.

There have been several doctors that have posted pictures of female hair transplant patients here.

The two I can think of off the top of my head are: Dr. Feller and Dr. Epstein (both Coalition doctors).

Dr. Rassman of CA also has posted information about female hair loss here that is worth reading.

I hope this helps,

Bill

Bill,

yes it is true that i have had 2 kids in 3 years time, but i have been slowly losing my hair since my first child 12 years ago. It is just getting to the point where there is not alot left to lose, so it is really noticable now. Truthfully it looks horrible. I have talked to doctors already and they have checked my hormones, liver, thyroid and everything in between. They did not find anything medically wrong with me. I have not tried to use anything yet. Im kind of scared. I have not really heard good things about using minoxodil. But thanks for your advice, i will check out the other doctors you have suggested.

thanks again