Hair growth question

Glock08

Don't want to be overly optimistic...so I'll ask the experts. I am just over 1 month post-op and attached pictures of my temple area(s). I had no hair in this area prior to the HT-ground zero, no fly zone-nada. Are these new hairs sprouting or "left-over" hairs that didn't shed?

I know that it usually takes about 3-4 months for anything to start happening-but can't help noticing.

Thanks

Glock08

DSC01446.JPG.a64bc95357f459af8e3ea8e9a05bf922.JPG

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Don't want to be overly optimistic...so I'll ask the experts. I am just over 1 month post-op and attached pictures of my temple area(s). I had no hair in this area prior to the HT-ground zero, no fly zone-nada. Are these new hairs sprouting or "left-over" hairs that didn't shed?

I know that it usually takes about 3-4 months for anything to start happening-but can't help noticing.

Thanks

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

In my opinion, I'm going to say that these very short hairs that are sprouting are probably native hairs that were shed after the transplant. They tend to start growing back quite quickly. Or, was your recipient area shaved and these are hairs that are just growing back?

The new hairs that were transplanted will shed but go into a dormant stage that normally lasts 3 or more months before starting to grow.

Hi Glock08,

Kamin is possibly right, but I'll also add that some of the transplanted hairs may not have fallen out...some people keep a small percentage of them and they continue to grow instead of go dormant for 3 months. Of course I won't rule out the possibility that you are a very early bloomer!!! Keep us posted!

Bill

If you had no hair in that area before it's got to either be hair that didn't shed or new hairs starting to grow, right? Personally, I noticed some new grafts growing at the 6 week mark..........I don't think it would be unheard of to experience new growth a just over one month, just not real common.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I'm at six weeks, and I know for a fact that I experienced some growth just at the 1 month mark. I know this because there was no hair previously in that area.

Now, when I mean growth, I'm talking about a countable number of stalwart hairs that are simply at the head of the class and have shot up beyond the stubs left around them, its nothing I could style if they were 10 inches long.

Its just been interesting to watch. I think the post op procedures from Dr. Cooley have been helping. I won't discuss them in any detail because they're part of a paper for his learned journal, but I have been using rogaine foam all over my ht since a few days after my HT.

I've been reading up on what Rogaine does, and the research is interesting. There actually appears to be a school of thought that believes that more than regrowing hair, it increases existing diameter, and most importantely shortens the Telogen phase so that at any given time you have a higher percentage of your hair in the andregen(sp?) phase than you ordinarily would.

Therefore you have an appearance of more hair, and thickness. However, it was my personal experience in the past that it could also grow hair where there simply was none before, so I think there's more to the story.

That said, although Rogaine as an adjunct to improving initial growth after HT surgery is unproven, I think it shows promise.

mark

Thanks everyone..I knew I came to the right place. icon_smile.gif

Karmin..I didn't shave the area prior...it was shaved by nature. I would be in the extensive baldness catagory...although, I have hair growing everywhere else that I don't need it.

Bill..thanks for the advise. I finally figured out why I couldnt see posts when someone does a photo album. I'll catch on one of these days.

Mark H

Hang in there..we'll be styling those little hairs eventually. I haven't tried anything other than Propecia.

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Glock-

Looks like you're getting a start and I see a little more than your first pic. It's still very early in the game......I'll bet by month 3 & 4 you'll really be seeing something.

I reviewed your blog..........judging by the number of grafts you had planted you've got tons more that should be sproutin' soon.

Thanks for the update........keep postin' 'em. Happy growing to you!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.