Is it normal for grafts to still be in place after 10 weeks?

Hey guys,

I noticed that after 10 weeks, I still have quite a bit of grafts in the recipient hair. They never did shed and they currently are not growing.

while they are securely in place, I was able to take some tweezers and pull a graft out. I did not pull hard (I did not pluck the hair out), but I pulled slightly enough to remove it. What I noticed is the graft was only secured by the upper layer of my skin. (if that makes any sense)

After I pulled a graft out, it looked EXACTLY like the shedded grafts from 6-7 weeks ago.

I'm curious to know why this is the case. Is this normal?

I'm guessing the new hair should theoretically force the graft out eventually when the new hair starts growing

Grafts are secure 8 days or so after surgery. I believe you meant the hair itself and not the entire graft that comes out. At 10 weeks I doubt you can pull an entire graft out with a tweezer. That would hurt and plus you would have to really dig and bleed all over the place. You wouldn't want that. lol.

My advice, just leave them alone. I did, and my hair turned out fine. A small percentage of people do not shed and like you said, the new hair will eventually pushes it out. Whether you shed it or not, it shouldn't affect the outcome of your hair restoration.

To add to this question, can the "old" hair that was attached to the grafted follicle actually begin to grow? Or does it HAVE to shed and a new one begin to grow? Just curious as to if some of my hairs that have not shed will end up not shedding and begin to grow or if I will have to wait for them to actually shed for anything to happen.

What I noticed is the graft was only secured by the upper layer of my skin.

If it was only a few days post op and you tweezed the hair out you propably would have pulled the bulb out with the hair which would have damaged/destroyed the graft. The fact that it was only a hair and you are 2 1/2 months post op means that the bulb is permanant in the recipient site. Think of it as a weed if you will. If you pull it out of the ground by only what you see then a week late the weed is back. We are not unlike plants. Your hair works the same way.

I understand that you are paranoid right now and that is completly normal but to be honest with you from the pics and the way you describe things it sounds like you are right on track. Remember there are no 2 people who are the same. Some will not shed at all or it takes along time, while others shed after 2 weeks. Some will start growing at 2 months, while others dont start until 5-6 months. Some scar easily, while others heal remarkably well.

I would also say if you are going to compare-, to compare yourself to other Dr. Cooley patients as opposed to other doctors patients because they all use differant techniques to achieve the same results.

Thanks Dakota, lets just wait and see shall we? icon_smile.gif

I agree with Sparky, some do keep a number or hairs and never shed.

If by my 3rd month the placed grafts have not started forcing the existing hair to shed, is this something I should start worrying about? When would a person need to start being concerned?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I know it's hard not to worry, but at this point you are truely worring over nothing!! What you are explaining sounds completely normal. These hairs are probably in the dormat phase. It will not hurt for them to sit there, they are likes "seeds". It usually is between 3-5 months when the hairs start growing. Please let me know if there is anything we can do for you.

Keep in touch!

azn_guy,

Brandi is right. Most likely the hairs remaining that aren't growing have detached from the hair follicle but are still embedded in the scalp. They will eventually be pushed out by the new hair once the follicle begins producing new hair (3 to 5 months after surgery).

But please....don't pluck or tweeze your precious hair. Just relax in the confidence that Dr. Cooley (and his dedicated staff members like Brandi and others) took excellent care of you and let time work its magic :).

Best wishes,

Bill