What will happen if I quit Propecia?

dave r

I am thinking about getting off of Propecia. I have been on it for a year and a half and don't know if it is working or not. Has anyone quit taking Propecia and seen an increase in hair loss or other symptoms?

I am thinking about getting off of Propecia. I have been on it for a year and a half and don't know if it is working or not. Has anyone quit taking Propecia and seen an increase in hair loss or other symptoms?

I quit taking it and these things happened.

I didn't lose any more hair than I did before(propecia is junk)

I saved money.

I decided not to be a slave of society's standards for beauty.

I am no longer a slave of my own vanity.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Baldness defines me as a person.</pre>

Baldness defines me as a person.

Has it kept the hair you have? That's the goal. Anything else is a bonus. I was on a topical formula (Proxiphen) for 18 months. I thought it wasn't working because I didn't grow any more hair. So I stopped using it. YIKES! Within 6 months I lost a ton of hair. The product HAD been working and keeping my hair. It was stopping further loss so it was working very well. So I basically lost 2 years worth of saved hair in six months. Stopping Propecia is a big decision. Proceed with extreme caution.

I am an independent hair transplant surgical consultant and hair loss researcher. Any opinions I have posted are my own. I am working on a few hair loss/transplant projects and will be making some announcements concerning them in the near future.

Dave,

I quit for a while, In "my" case I did start to lose hair in the crown area eventually, I was o.k. for appx 3 months, then noticable thinning.

Since I have no side effects & a full head of hair, I figure I will stick with it, or at least till something else comes out.

Good Luck !

quit and you will QUICKLY lose any gains AND if Propecia actually slowed or stopped your hairloss, you will "catch up" very quickly with that. That is a bummer either way.

Stick it out unless you are having undesired side effects.

Propecia has been one of my saviors in my stuggle against hairloss.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

-- If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

-- The truth only matters if you know about it.

dave i read somewhere that you can take .2 mg and still get almost the same results as 1mg so mabye if its money your worried about just cut down the dosage, and if you are going to quit this will slowley wein you off it

• 4 weeks later...

You should take photos of your hairline and crown every month or so while on Propecia, then you will be able to tell for sure if it works for you or not. I saw results after 4 months of use, and have been using it for 5 years. I still have all the hair I had five years ago - it' stopped the hsirloss!!! If it doesn't work for you after six months- one year, then you should probably quit taking it.