minoxidil causing shedding after 1.5 years

Hi guys

I have strange question, i am on propecia/minox since 1.5 years.

I saw initial shedding from Minox around 3-4 month and then it stopped but after that but now i am seeing shedding again. I can see on my pillow 20-30 hairs and when i wash my head i can see 10-15 thick hairs.

Another strange thing is that if i don't apply minox i see 1-2 hairs on pillow and 1-2 hairs during bath.

As i was preparing for HT i stopped using minox.

Does that mean that i can stop using minox as i have less shedding when i don't use minox?

Raj

Hi guys

I have strange question, i am on propecia/minox since 1.5 years.

I saw initial shedding from Minox around 3-4 month and then it stopped but after that but now i am seeing shedding again. I can see on my pillow 20-30 hairs and when i wash my head i can see 10-15 thick hairs.

Another strange thing is that if i don't apply minox i see 1-2 hairs on pillow and 1-2 hairs during bath.

As i was preparing for HT i stopped using minox.

Does that mean that i can stop using minox as i have less shedding when i don't use minox?

Raj

Prince,

Welcome to our forum community.

Minoxidil works by stimulating the hair follicle and causing potential regrowth. A shedding phase is typical when starting the medication or stopping and restarting it.

Once the hair follicles adjust to it however, hair shedding should be relatively normal (normal hair shedding is 50-100 hairs a day depending on how much hair you have - less if you have less to shed).

If Rogaine is working for you, stopping it will result in a loss of all benefit. Hair miniaturization will continue and any regrown hairs will fall out.

I don't think you will experience lesser shedding without minoxidil unless you are referring to the first few months of use.

Best wishes,

Bill

P.S. Missing a day or two shouldn't be a big deal.

It probaly isnt rogain but your natural hair cycle depletion. Try xra stregth if not already, add Propecia and Nixon Shampoo. Also look into taking Zrii at (link removed) which has Alamki in it of cell regeneration.

I missed it for 3-4 weeks and i don't have any shedding and just for testing i started it again and start seeing hair falling again......

Pretty strange.... huh....

Anyway, i am taking Propecia/Nizoral with B-Complex and Vitamin E everyday since May-07 and seen lot of regrowth in all over my head including frontal area except temples.

I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Sharon Keene for temples area and my crown.

Minoxidil works in different ways for some of us. I was using Rogaine for several months and during this time I would notice on and off shedding. Finally, I stopped using Rogaine because it was irritating my scalp. My scalp was red and always itching. I haven't been back on it since. I have always noticed more hair shedding while using Rogaine. Also, I did not experience any benefit from using Rogaine.

Vary rare, but you could have hit a plateu phase. Try changing to xtra strength rogain or rogaine foam to give scalp different delivery system. This might help. Also make sure you are taking your Propecia as well since the combo therapy has greater results than mono therapy with one or the other.

Also, it might not hurt if your system has adjusted to rogaine-although rare- to stop for 4 weeks and restart (I personally do this a couple of times a yr with Propecia).