Folliculitis Question

• 1 year later...

Great to hear (and thanks for the very quick response). I am almost 3 weeks in to my antibiotics and have noticed a huge improvement.....no more pimples or pus. However, I still have some very dark red blotches all over my recipient area where my most infected grafts were. I am guessing this is the scarring I have read about on these posts. Did you have them as well, and if so, did they eventually fade and go away?

I personally believe that folliculitis can hurt hair follicles. I can NOT back that up scientifically.

Here is my reasoning:

I have not had a hair transplant. But, I have posted that I do get folliculitis(now pretty much solved with neutragena tgel). I have had several incidents of shockloss around significant folliculitis breakouts. And, in the frontal triangle region that I am slowly losing to MPB, I am not sure that it didn't coincide with the loss of a follicle. In fact my wife (a cardiologist) calls my folliculitis "the last gasp of a dying follicle".

So I am convinced that the localized inflamation and or infection stresses nearby follicles. And, if it was severe, with recently placed grafts trying to establish their own circulation, I think it can be an impact on graft survival.

Again, I have no science to back it up; and my study "n" is one. Me.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks Doctor for the post, as discouraging as that is. Hopefully this will not be the case with me, only time will tell. I will update as time goes by to see what the end result is in my particular instance. Thanks again.

• 12 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2021 at 7:43 PM, Gatsby said:

Eugenix recently posted a video on a patient who presented with folliculitus. Once this was treated the patient was then able to have surgery successfully.

sorry to bring up an old post of yours, but can you provide me with that video please? I couldn't find it. thank you

From what I have observed over the past 4 decades, there are several types of infections that can infect hair follicles, not that they have necessarily been given clinical or disease titles.

I have observed folliculitis impact graft growth and survival when left untreated so it's something that needs to be treated immediately by a doctor and the more acute cases may call for an oral systemic antibiotic. 

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY