Hair Transplant

I had a hair transplant done in November of 2007. It is now 10 months later and i see no

new hair on the top of my head. According to the surgeon, he thinks that the new hair grew in and phased out the existing (non transplanted hair. I know i did shed alot of hair around the 5-7 months after the procedure. I also had a bad case of dandruff, which tons of hair came off of my head in chunks of the dandruff. Is this possible that the new hair grew in and phased out the old hair. Also how can i tell if the hair on top of my head is transplanted, or the non transplanted hair?

I had a hair transplant done in November of 2007. It is now 10 months later and i see no

new hair on the top of my head. According to the surgeon, he thinks that the new hair grew in and phased out the existing (non transplanted hair. I know i did shed alot of hair around the 5-7 months after the procedure. I also had a bad case of dandruff, which tons of hair came off of my head in chunks of the dandruff. Is this possible that the new hair grew in and phased out the old hair. Also how can i tell if the hair on top of my head is transplanted, or the non transplanted hair?

Ugh, sorry to hear.....it sounds like your doc is basically saying that you suffered an extrordinary case of permanent shockloss, so much so that it basically nullefies every transplanted hair he gave you. I'm trying to imagine such a scenario and it isn't really adding up that well to me.

I'd echo Spex's ?s....also, how many grafts did you get and how would you charachterize your loss and how much native hair you had in the region(s) where grafts got implanted?

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I had about 1200 on the top and about 600 in the front, the front grew in, but not the top. I have no less hair, but not much more, maybe a slight difference, not enough to notice. Anyway i can tell if the hair on the top is transplanted?

IMO, you need to discuss this in detail with your doc and have him examine you; I get the sense you don't have full confidence in your doc (I may be wrong), in which case you can and maybe should consult w/ a different (100% trustworthy) clinic and see what they have to say. Otherwise, I'd really just do what you can to post some clear pics here.

For determining which hair is HT hair....it'd be like shooting in the dark for me to comment, but I'd guess that at 10months some of the HT hairs still might have a certain "kinkiness"...possibly.....

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Frdtrtnv8,

Welcome to our forum community.

If you can provide some before, immediately postoperative, and after photos, we may be able to better assess your situation.

The way I see it, there are a few possibilities

1. The transplanted hair didn't grow

2. Male pattern baldness progressed and you lost additional native hair

3. A combination of the two

I wouldn't suspect "shock" since postoperative shock loss typically occurs during the first 3 months.

Transplanted hair growth is gradual. Do you recall seeing any new hair coming in? Have you been taking monthly progress pictures?

Since a qualified hair transplant surgeon can differentiate natural hair from transplanted hair, I recommend meeting with your or another hair transplant surgeon to evaluate hair growth yield.

Best wishes,

Bill

This is exactly what happen in my case with a high profile transplant doctor. Hey guy, take heart. l can imagine how you are feeling right now.

When you factor in that hair transplant is supposely 99.9% successful, this can be depressing.

Like Bill said, talk to your doctor; If not, read the bios and reputation of the doctors on this website and set-up a consult. 9 of 10 times they will be willing to see you.

Good luck men!

really sorry to hear about your situation, that's horrible. 1,800 grafts is *relatively* a significant #, but it's difficult to say what kind of cosmetic impact one could expect w/out knowing what your hair loss situation was like prior to the work. What would you approximate your NW level both prior to work and currently?

Do's & Dont's:

Do:

talk to *new* doctor's about your case, and in particular, getting corrective work done.

Don't:

go back to the previous doctor regardless of any *free* compensation he offers; and do NOT stress over different fantastical scenarios which could have affected your loss; dandruff will not cause you to lose your hair permanently in this manner...

best of luck as Im sure it is difficult to move forward after having work done and not seeing a material cosmetic difference.

I am zee capt'N!!!