CONCEALERS

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND WHAT THEY FEEL IS THE BEST CONCEALER? I HEARD TOPPIK, BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT. I WOULD REALLY LIKE SOMETHING THAT COLORS THE SCALP SO MAYBE A SPRAY OF SOME KIND. I APPRECIATE ANY HELP.

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND WHAT THEY FEEL IS THE BEST CONCEALER? I HEARD TOPPIK, BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT. I WOULD REALLY LIKE SOMETHING THAT COLORS THE SCALP SO MAYBE A SPRAY OF SOME KIND. I APPRECIATE ANY HELP.

Hi!

There's actually an entire group down a bit that discusses shampoos, sprays and concealers. However, as an answer to your question. So far I have used Toppik, Couvre, Dermatch and Prothik.

Toppik didn't seem to work very well for me but I didn't get a chance to use it back when I had longer hair. Some people here swear by it. The dust clings to your hair and fills in the gaps basically. There's a good explanation of how it works on the Spencer Forrest web site. It is expensive stuff. www.toppik.com

Couvre seemed really good and comparable to Dermmatch but a better texture. Unfortunately the color I ordered was too light so I sent it back and I'm expecting a replacement in the next week. I think it has real potential and would do a good job coloring your scalp. However it, like Toppik, was fairly expensive. www.toppik.com

Dermmatch has been my staple concealer for quite awhile. It did a good job coloring the scalp and was very easy to apply. It was very cheap and one disk lasted over 6 months. www.dermmatch.com

Prothik is probably the type of thing you want if you are looking for a spray (There is also a product called Fullmore sold by Spencer Forrest that looks to be the same type of thing that I've not tried yet). I wasn't a big fan of Prothik for the front as I didn't have enough control to use it anywhere near my hairline. It also tends to get everywhere. However, for the back/crown area it is my concealer of choice since it's quick and easy to apply. 3 weeks post HT it is also what I use on my donor area when I go to work to conceal the redness of my scar. www.prothik.com

Hope this helps. If you read the concealer group you'll get a lot of good information and opinions on products. If you want to post in that forum with more specific information (and possibly photos) on the area/hair type you are working with you'll probably get some good advice from concealer pros.

Dart

Dart,

Thanks for sharing all the info on concealers. Great stuff! Read your posts in the concealer group too.

I will need to use some concealer on a very temporary basis. Your posts on this subject have been immensely helpful. Thanx!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

hey, dart

long time, no chat. how do you apply Dermamatch? to the scalp or the hair. is it noticeable when someone is closeby? is it useful for the hairline area?

texasNW2,

My personal technique with Dermmatch was to apply it to the scalp and hair. If it was an occasion where I was worried at all about looking natural my technique was to apply it to the scalp and hair. I then let it dry for about 10 minutes (could probably blow dry but I was too lazy for that) then I'd rinse off my hair again real quick with just water (no shampoo) to get rid of any excess residue). After that I'd do a quick touch up of any places on the scalp and I was good to go (ya...15 minutes to get ready but sometimes you want to look your best).

Dermmatch worked fine on the hairline. It's easy to blend back and the applicators they give you for free work great.

FYI,

Toppiks works well for me on the crown area with hair 3+ inches or longer. I find that it causes the HT on the hairline to be more noticable by clinging to the base of the follicle. Maybe one tryied to combine with Courve' on hairline would help--I havent tried that.

Good luck