Opinions on Hair Transplant Surgery

Hi,

I just turned 24 years old and have had a gradually receding hairline for the past 1-2 years. It wasn't really noticeable until recently (maybe past 6 months) when I started noticing it receding in pictures of myself. I've also recently noticed a lot more shedding of hair when I take a shower or even when I'm just sitting at my desk.

I know I can take Propecia to slow down the hair loss, but I want something that either completely halts hair loss or can replace the hairline that I lost. I was doing a little research on hair transplant surgery and was scared off by the people that were saying don't get it if you're too young. What exactly is the reason for this??? I would think that a younger person with less balding would be easier to transplant (less hairs required). Some people on this site mentioned that the donor area in a young person is too small. Why would a younger person have less of a donor area than an older person? Also, what how would you guys recommend I search for a good surgeon if I did decide to get it done in the future?

Thanks so much for any help/opinions! icon_smile.gif

Hi,

I just turned 24 years old and have had a gradually receding hairline for the past 1-2 years. It wasn't really noticeable until recently (maybe past 6 months) when I started noticing it receding in pictures of myself. I've also recently noticed a lot more shedding of hair when I take a shower or even when I'm just sitting at my desk.

I know I can take Propecia to slow down the hair loss, but I want something that either completely halts hair loss or can replace the hairline that I lost. I was doing a little research on hair transplant surgery and was scared off by the people that were saying don't get it if you're too young. What exactly is the reason for this??? I would think that a younger person with less balding would be easier to transplant (less hairs required). Some people on this site mentioned that the donor area in a young person is too small. Why would a younger person have less of a donor area than an older person? Also, what how would you guys recommend I search for a good surgeon if I did decide to get it done in the future?

Thanks so much for any help/opinions! icon_smile.gif

Hi htownballa,

The reason for this is quite simple. If you are balding when you are young there is no indication of how bald (i.e. what level on the Norwood Scale) that you will end up in future. A hair transplant is not a cure for hairloss and you will continue to lose your surrounding native hair as you would have done without a HT. Unfortunately the limited donor supply that everyone has cannot restore a full head of hair.

Since the hair from a HT is permanent, if you are too aggressive with your hairline you may be left with only a tuft of hair on your hairline and be bald everywhere else. This will look very unnatural in the future and you will regret ever having undergone a HT in future. Also at such a young age it is almost expected that you will have to undergo further HT's in future to keep up with your hairloss.

If you are considering a HT at a young age, it would be unwise to not to undertake hairloss treatment like Propecia to slow/halt your hairloss. Only Propecia and Minoxidil are FDA approved for hair loss so I would recommend that you consider these treatments first. Realize that these treatments are also a life committment, i.e. you will lose any benefit (i.e. hair) that these treatments have helped you keep if you stop these treatments in the future.

You also sound like you have not done enough research to even consider a HT. My recommendation is first to start treatments like Propecia and Minoxidil for about 1 year before considering a HT to see if you can regrow some of your lost hair and are able to avoid having a HT in the first place. During this time you should research what can be achieved with a HT and what is possible for you in the future with your limited donor supply. You have found a great (life saving) resource with this forum. The bottom line is to only consider consultations from the best and most ethical surgeons for your HT (i.e. Surgeons listed on the coalition), and they will let you know the best advice for you and your longterm interests.

Hope this helps!

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Ditto JakeVig's advice.......try Propecia(and minoxidil if you like though it's a messy regimen IMO)and start a scalp and hair care regimen to see if you can stabilize your loss. You may even experience some regrowth. This will help you better determine the best course of action for dealing with any future loss that may occur.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

htownballa,

Adding Nizoral to your Propecia/Minoxidil regimen is a good idea because apart from minimizing the 'minoxidil itch' and being a good cure for dandruff, it is one of the only shampoos that will actually reduce scalp DHT (Which is the cause of hairloss).

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Really? I did not know Nisoral is so good. I thought it helps with the 'minoxidil itch' and dandruff only.. So, I guess this is the reason almost everyone here is using it?

Are there any side effects? What if I use it for a year and then stop?

Hello:

I recently found this site and would appreciate and feedback/recommendations.

I scheduled a HT session with Dr. Robert Leonard in RI for the end of September. He believes that I need two sessions-considered a "class 6"- with a small bald spot left in the crown area.

I have been balding since my early twenties and am now in my mid forties. To complicate matters, I currently wear a polyfuse hair system, which I intend to shed a week or two before the proceedure-for tanning purposes.

While it is going to be a dramatic appearance adjustment, I am just plain old tired of the "hair piece" limitations.

I am new to this board and haven't figured out how to add a photo yet--taken from my last "haircut".

Thanks in advance for any advise/comments.

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

[i scheduled a HT session with Dr. Robert Leonard in RI for the end of September. He believes that I need two sessions-considered a "class 6"- with a small bald spot left in the crown area.

Just curious how many grafts he is doing for you on each session..and how much per graft?