FUE and other questions

Good question. I know many will weigh in with different opinions, but here's mine. I would suggest that you first take a look at some of the recent tricho closure photos (ie. Shapiro, H&W, etc.) as these clearly demonstrate that even with a hair cut down to a #2 (maybe even #1), you can not see it at all. It's truly remarkable! I know I'm excited about how mine will turn out. It's not even been two months and already it is just a pencil-thin (red) line.

You really owe it to yourself to see this improvement in photos or book a consultation with a Surgeon who will show you the end result (1-year post-op) of a patient with tricho closure and see if you an even *find* the scar.

As for FUE, the deal-breaker for me is the post-operative appearance. Have you seen these photos? You sound like me in that you are very concerned about anyone ever spotting your HT work (ie. scar, etc.). Having the back of my head literally shaved with red holes in it is *much* more difficult to hide than the staples, which are covered by your normal hair. Following staple removal, you would really have to have your hair very short for it to be noticed.

Good Luck, and as I mentioned, this is just my personal opinion.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Hi John,

Many people here are going to recommend FUE for such a small number of grafts. I just had my HT done a few days ago and I only got 1344 grafts placed in my hairline. My reasons for choosing FUT is that I believe FUT still has a greater yield and since I only have a limited donor supply and I would like to use them in the most optimal way.

I believe it depends on your age and progression of hairloss as well if you really think your going to need your entire donor supply in future I will opt for FUT otherwise I would go for FUE.

Which ever way you decide, go to the best doctors.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

thanks for the reply,

how log will the red dots /holes stay red? Can they be seen after the redness disappears? I can take off even a month from work if needed so hiding them initially is not a problem.

Originally posted by M&M:

Good question. I know many will weigh in with different opinions, but here's mine. I would suggest that you first take a look at some of the recent tricho closure photos (ie. Shapiro, H&W, etc.) as these clearly demonstrate that even with a hair cut down to a #2 (maybe even #1), you can not see it at all. It's truly remarkable! I know I'm excited about how mine will turn out. It's not even been two months and already it is just a pencil-thin (red) line.

You really owe it to yourself to see this improvement in photos or book a consultation with a Surgeon who will show you the end result (1-year post-op) of a patient with tricho closure and see if you an even *find* the scar.

As for FUE, the deal-breaker for me is the post-operative appearance. Have you seen these photos? You sound like me in that you are very concerned about anyone ever spotting your HT work (ie. scar, etc.). Having the back of my head literally shaved with red holes in it is *much* more difficult to hide than the staples, which are covered by your normal hair. Following staple removal, you would really have to have your hair very short for it to be noticed.

Good Luck, and as I mentioned, this is just my personal opinion.

I have plenty of donor hair that is extremely dense on on the back and sides, and judging from family pictures, type III is in the cards.

Originally posted by JakeVig:

Hi John,

Many people here are going to recommend FUE for such a small number of grafts. I just had my HT done a few days ago and I only got 1344 grafts placed in my hairline. My reasons for choosing FUT is that I believe FUT still has a greater yield and since I only have a limited donor supply and I would like to use them in the most optimal way.

I believe it depends on your age and progression of hairloss as well if you really think your going to need your entire donor supply in future I will opt for FUT otherwise I would go for FUE.

Which ever way you decide, go to the best doctors.

Originally posted by John_in_NC:

I have plenty of donor hair that is extremely dense on on the back and sides, and judging from family pictures, type III is in the cards.

Well if your only headed for type III than it doesnt sound like you will need to use all your donor hair, which was the only reason I decided not to go for FUE for my small no of grafts. Just leave your hair long as you will need it to hide the shaved area on your head required for FUE.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Originally posted by John_in_NC:

how long does it take for those red spots to heal /become invisible? After that, could one spot them on a #1 haircut? Say someone sitting on the row behind you

The red dots close up quite quickly. If you want to shave to a number one then do that without getting a HT! No surgery is scarless and it will depend on how many FU's were taken out, and your skin colour as to how detectable the procedure will turn out.

Please excuse me. I'm new to this site and mah not be posting this message in the appropriate place.

First, can you tell me what FUE and FUT stand for?

Second, I am amazed that M&M can get a buzz-cut in the back down to a #2 and not have any scar showing.

I had a pretty reputable surgeon to my grafts and my scar is visible using any buzzer with less than a #4-and-a-half.

Can my scar be made less noticeable with some kind of new surgical procedure.

Thank you.

Originally posted by alanbp2:

Please excuse me. I'm new to this site and mah not be posting this message in the appropriate place.

First, can you tell me what FUE and FUT stand for?

Second, I am amazed that M&M can get a buzz-cut in the back down to a #2 and not have any scar showing.

I had a pretty reputable surgeon to my grafts and my scar is visible using any buzzer with less than a #4-and-a-half.

Thank you.

Hi alanbp2,

FUE stands for Follicular Unit Extraction.

FUT stands for Follicular Unit Transplantation

You may want to read up more here on the differences as this site has a wealth of information already developed to answer such questions.

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...gical_procedures.asp

I should clarify. I had the older style Bosley technique - Mini & Micro Grafts performed on me as recently as 2000. Interestly enough, they still perform this outdated procedure today - so be warned. However, with the new techniques, such as the trichophytic closure techniques, the scar is barely visible at all. It's amazing to see the photos & videos.

I recently had a procedure performed with Dr. Ron Shapiro and he was able to use this technique to also remove the prior Bosley scar(s). I'm less than two-months post-op and my scar is already better than it ever was before!

Here are some links:

8-months Post-op

8-month Post-op Video shaved to #1

Video - Tricho Closure

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Originally posted by alanbp2:

Thank you.

Scar revision, or FUE into scar.....

Check out Spex, he had some FUE graphs into his scar and has after pics up somewhere....

as for a scar revision, Cut out the old scar and close it w/trico....probable get some graphs out of the deal also....