What do you think?

foxworth

I've been toying with the idea of a HT for a couple of years now. I've even been to the point where I had the procedure booked with a deposit and cancelled three weeks prior to procedure due to second thoughts.

My situation is this, I'm not happy with my hairline and temporal recession. More importantly, I do not want to proceed with the HT until I am fairly confident I have my hairloss under control. I do not want to have multiple procedures even though I realize that cannot be guaranteed. I'm 36 years old.

At any rate, I'm curious as to what some of the posters think of my current situation and what they would recommend to me insofar as going ahead with the surgery or standing pat with what I've got.

Here are my pix, fire away.

photo

I've been toying with the idea of a HT for a couple of years now. I've even been to the point where I had the procedure booked with a deposit and cancelled three weeks prior to procedure due to second thoughts.

My situation is this, I'm not happy with my hairline and temporal recession. More importantly, I do not want to proceed with the HT until I am fairly confident I have my hairloss under control. I do not want to have multiple procedures even though I realize that cannot be guaranteed. I'm 36 years old.

At any rate, I'm curious as to what some of the posters think of my current situation and what they would recommend to me insofar as going ahead with the surgery or standing pat with what I've got.

Here are my pix, fire away.

Thanks Jo.

It's maybe kind of hard to tell from the photo but my trouble areas are the very front which has become very thin and ofcourse, the recessed temples. I could probably live with my hair exactly the way it is in those photos if I knew I could stop further loss. However, 3+ years on propecia, 8 months of minoxidil and a month or so of Spiro haven't really seemed to slow things down. At least not to my satisfaction. I don't believe the shape of my hairline has drastically changed much in that time period but the density certainly has.

When I booked my procedure the plan was to do exactly as you said, 1200 all FU's.

I'm also a little worried that shock loss could really screw things up for me.

i agree with jotronic somewhat. You appear to have a ton of hair for a guy age 36.

Many guys in their 30's and even 20's are near, or completely bald, and you appear to have a normal hairline for age 36, and alot of hair.

I would stick with propecia and minoxidil for a couple more years and see how it goes. Its probably working, and you wouldnt know it until you stopped using them both, and everything fell out.

Dont rush into a transplant, there is a good chance you will regret it later. I would wait another year at least.

If your heart is really set on it, for your level of hairloss, i would defenitely opt for a FUE type of procedure. But research it for 6 months at least and go on several consultations with different Doctors.

howdy...

i've been on avodart for a month...holy crap!!! former 5 year user of proscar divided into 1 to 2mg doses for 4 days...off 1 day...etc...

you need (my opinion) to go aggressive!!! avodart is great to reduce chances of prostate cancer (probably reduce it close to 50% by the timne they finally release full results) vs placebo...

my crown has Completely, and i mean completely filled in on proscar...and my vertex is rapidly improving...

i would combine that with wwww.lipoxidil.com and their kick-ass minox application with the derm-roller...

work the frontal with topical spiro liposomes from same website...with derm roller...

no transplants for you...

in 6 months...you have more hair...

my 2 cents...

narc4ever

Your hair is perfect!

How dare you call that a receding hairline!! Its a work of art!! We would kill for that!

Any surgeon who touches you now should be banned from the industry!

Your hair may not be everything you wish it was, but it is still really really good. It may not be 100 percent perfect in your eyes, but so what? Very few thing in life are 100 percent perfect. Your hair is nowhere near the point where surgical intervention is needed.

Also, hair transplants themselves are not perfect. You won't be able to attain "hair perfection" with a transplant. The process itself has flaws, limitations and drawbacks.

Hair transplantation is a big step, and you shouldn't take the plunge for minor recession or thinning, in my opinion. It's really better suited for guys with advanced hair loss, who will be happy to just have a little something up there again.

Foxworth -

You're in a position to where you can and probably should hold off a bit on a HT. Unless the pics are deceiving, your about what my ultimate goal is from a procedure I had 4 months ago. I should post some pics of myself, I swear we're twins. I showed someone these pics and told them that was me and they were shocked when I said they weren't. One thing I did to slow my growth was massage the back of my head and temples daily just for a few minutes. Started that when I was 19 when I started noticing hairloss and kept it in check the whole time. I noticed progression in the periods I was lazy. Can't prove it but I'm convinced it helped. So if you can hold on or slow it way down which Propecia hopefully will, you might be good for life, or at least until FUE is even more perfected.

I'll trade my hair for yours. Seriously, I think you have the "after" look of a really great transplant procedure and you haven't even had surgery. I don't think you'd look appreciably better with a lower hairline or even with greater density. I use Lipoxidil products and would also recommend giving that a try for a year in addition to propecia. You might get the changes you're looking for without surgery.

My surgery with Dr. Sharon Keene:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/paul148148/lst?&.dir=/Transplant+Photos&.src=ph&.view=t

In my opinion, your hairline looks just fine. I wouldnt lower it at all. Looks like you might very little on the temples. You didnt have a "top" shot of your hair. If that is thinning, then I would suggest HT for "fill in"/thickness and maybe a little preventive work behind the temples for future loss. If it is not thinning. At this time your best bet, is to use propecia and 5% rogain and save HT until your in your 40's if you even need it then. Looking at your pics, pharmacology might be all you need.

I have to agree with the consensus: your hair looks good and I wouldn't do an HT IF I was in your shoes.

In fact, I'm trying to reconstruct the hairline you are looking to change.

But it is a matter of preference. You can either cover up the forehead or display it. Display it: you look a little more mature and intelligent. Cover it: more youthful. That is a generalization, of course.

So what look are you going for at 36?

I'm 29, and I decide to keep the hairline high because I didn't want to be trapped into an HT cycle that might happen because I committed FOREVER to a youthful hairline. Plus, to construct a youthful hairline and maintain it is expensive and usually requires a lot of "fine tuning". I didn't want to fall into the Bosleyism, "Stay ahead of your hairloss".

I like your hairline. But I'm not you. Why do you feel you need an HT is not for me to judge, but for you to ask yourself.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

thanks for your input guys. I think you've all basically expressed the same opinion I had when I cancelled my HT session one year ago.

I think these pictures are somewhat deceiving in that they don't really depict the thinning of my hairline at the front. It really is quite thin, and the single most area that drives me crazy. The high hairline, the temples I can kind of style around. I guess the one thing I can be thankful for is the fact that I don't have any thinning on the top of consequence. But that front....

At any rate, thanks for all of your support. I really do appreciate it. I've decide to re-evaluate the hair situation in six months and go from there. I'll post some new pictures at that time and maybe we can go through this exercise again.

Fox

p.s. Steven, as I've not been particularly happy with the results I'm getting from Finasteride, I am considering Avodart. You mentioned that it's helped you on the crown but what about the front and temples?

Foxworht :

Please do a search and try to find other peoples 'before' pictures. You will notice that you have lots of hair left compared to most guys that have done a HT.

IMHO forget about HT and live your liee for now. Maybe in the future your hair will get thinner to a point where a HT will help you more than it would do now.

my 2 cents.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.