San Diego hair transplant inquiry

I recently visited MHR and saw Dr Melvin Mayer. I was impressed with him but taken back by his consultant who offered me a reduction in price if I would do the HT by the end of the month. My questions are: 1) Anyone with experience with MHR and Dr. Mayer? 2) What is a fair price per follicular graft? 3) Is 2500 grafts too much for a Norwood 6 scalp like mine? 4) Any experience Dr William Reed here in San Diego? 5) Is it OK to haggle a bit on price per graft and try and get it closer to $3.50/ graft or is it best to not negogiate price? I am new to this forum, but am seriously considering a HT soon in San Diego only. Thanks!!

I recently visited MHR and saw Dr Melvin Mayer. I was impressed with him but taken back by his consultant who offered me a reduction in price if I would do the HT by the end of the month. My questions are: 1) Anyone with experience with MHR and Dr. Mayer? 2) What is a fair price per follicular graft? 3) Is 2500 grafts too much for a Norwood 6 scalp like mine? 4) Any experience Dr William Reed here in San Diego? 5) Is it OK to haggle a bit on price per graft and try and get it closer to $3.50/ graft or is it best to not negogiate price? I am new to this forum, but am seriously considering a HT soon in San Diego only. Thanks!!

Stephen Sargeant;

1) I myself would never go to a MHR but its good that you are considering a doctor rather than a company. Is this the same doctor that did the flap?? I have heard alot of negative stuff about MHR but not much negative or positive about Dr. Mayer. Are they doing FU or micro and mini grafts?

2)What is a fair price for a graft? That is a good question. $5 is probaly a fair price with the worlds best but don't let price influence your decision, a bad transplant is not a good deal even if its for free.

3)2500 FU is about right, maybe even a bit low if you are looking for good coverage in the front and light coverage in the back.

4) I have heard nothing about Dr William Reed.

5) There is nothing wrong with haggling with the price some doctors will do it some won't. I am telling you that price although important is the last thing that you need to worry about. Some of the world best doctors charge up to $8 a graft and I rather go to them, then pay $1 like some doctors charge.

If you need to travel to get the best transplant then do it. There are many good doctors in Canada that charge from $2.50 to $4.50 per graft for amazing results.

Good luck

Lorenzo

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Steve, Do not go forward yet with anything until you read what is posted here about hair transplants it is important to find the right Doctor in order to get decent results. By all means stay away from the bigger hair transplant chains they will do you nothing but harm. Trust me I made a grave mistake by getting sucked in by an seemingly concerned and impressive Doctor who only had the sale in mind. Wait and do not do anything until you stay on this forum for while and hear what the posters have to say.You may decide not to do it at all and be glad that you didn't.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Pick a clinic that uses microscopes to dissect Follicular Unit grafts. You want to avoid any place that uses the (larger than FUs) Minigrafts.

Read this article to see why Minigrafts do not look as natural as true FU grafts:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Best_hair_transplant_procedure/index.asp

Ask Dr, Mayer if all the grafts are dissected with microscopes?

I do not recommend MHR, in my opinion some of the worst doctors in the business work for them. I suggest you avoid any big franchise, they usually do not use the latest methods, and they are more focused on sales quotas than they are on giving you great results. This goes for Bosley and NuHart as well.

"Incentives" like you were offered are cheezey (I wonder if 2-for-1 during Happy Hour is next...?) It seems like Dr. Mayer's clinic might need to meet a sales quota every month, which is set by the national headquarters.

Stephen, I believe that Tucson is about a 6 hour drive from San Diego but I would seriously consider Dr. Keene. She is highly recommended by some of the regulars here. I've visited her website and it is very informative. Her prices are very good - grafts start at $5 and then come down depending on the size of the session. Find a nice hotel to stay at for a night or two. Trust me, a good HT is worth traveling for. I personally have not been to Dr. Keene but I have driven about the same distance to go to a doctor that I trusted.

Dr. Keene's website

Stephen, please feel free to contact me at rthaler11@hotmail.com I researched for 2 years and live in the L.A. area To my knowledge there is no one in California doing the kind of work you need and please know that everyone will invariably recommend 'their' doctor as the best doctor for you. Do not listen, that would be a big mistake. You need the very best, period. I would be happy to point you in the right direction based on the tons of research I did and my experience. I would not base a decision on how close the doc is to you or how much you like him. Very big mistake and its commonly made. If you don't get the best,most skilled and advanced surgeon, your results will tend toward mediocre no matter how nice or well meaning the surgeon is. I work for no one but I do beleive in helping others avoid serious mistakes. all the best, WWH

Steve, you can email me if you wish. In my opinion, the doctors here are still using needles with sessions and the surface area of trauma is considerably larger than the newer breed of doctors using very fine custom made blades. There are long discussions on this site regarding this subject and it is critical that people understand the difference. NHI to my knowledge still uses the standard 18guage needle placement which was state of the art 5 years ago but certainly not now. I could be wrong about this but it seemed this is what they were doing a year ago. This is only my opinion. best,WWH

i saw all the top docs in Southern California and was not really impressed. Everyone thinks we are the center of cosmetic surgery we really are not. I traveled all the way to Miniapolis to see Dr Shapiro and in the long run it cost me less then seeing any of the doctors in cali. So do your research and rember another thousand dollars up front will save you a lot of headaches in the long run. I would stay away from any doctors who would actually haggle their services, what does that say about their bussiness.

let all work together

Research makes perfect

StartingOut, I concur with you on that. You really have to travel out of the area if you live in California, that is the irony. I'm sure people have had good work done by a few here but the chances and the results I have seen again and again in photos out of Canada and Minneapolis are just too convincing. But then people often just want to cut corners and they feel inconvenienced by traveling and they worry about travel expenses,etc. To my mind now this is wrong thinking but each to his own. best,WWH

werewolfhead, i was the same way when I first started out, thought that there was no way I want to be on that plane after a HT. So i went to everyone down here and each time I got excited and thought I found the right Dr., but the more research I did the more I realize they were not what I wanted. Its all about the research.

let all work together

Research makes perfect