MASSIVE Shed after 4 Months on Rogaine Foam! Plz help.

Hi guys. I am 4.5 months post HT. I've been using Rogaine on the crown after my ht with outstanding results. However, now, 4 months on Rogaine im begining to shed ALOT. Pretty much, everything ive gained since begining it, is falling out and its back to the way it was before i started using it. Is this normal? I mean, i understand if it shed within the first couple of weeks or 1st month or 2, then started to grow, but it seems like it did the opposite. It got thicker and thicker, and now after 4 months its begining to shed. Please help. Thank you.

Thinman,

I'm not familiar with Rogaine creating a massive hair shed 4 months after using it.

Did you start using any other medication along with it in the last few months, such as Propecia, or any other alleged DHT blocker?

Also, where was your hair transplanted? In the crown or somehwere else?

Bill

Bill,

Yes, i am taking Finasteride 1mg daily and applying Rogaine Foam 2x daily. I started Finasteride the same time i started Rogaine. My transplanted hair was in the front 1/3 of my head. I do not apply Rogaine in that section, just the crown. At first, the results were fantastic, but now its shedding like crazy. I dont understand whats going on.

Hi Thinman,

Judging by the timeframe of 4.5 months after the surgery, I'm guessing that it could be the minoxidil of finasteride. I have had sheds going onto finasteride twice. The shedding within the first couple of weeks or month is suppossed to be the shockloss. What advice has the clinic given to you about this shedding at this time frame after the surgery?

hairbank has some good opinions in this thread:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...521022482#4521022482

Please keep me informed.

Thanks.

take care...

I highly doubt that it is shockloss. Its occuring right at the crown, which is where i apply the rogaine. Within the first couple of months of usage, it was great. But now, if i run my hand through my hair, i get a bunch of hairs. Even after a fresh shower, i still get some hairs coming out. I try not to pay attention to it, but every morning and night, when i massage the rogaine in, i cant help but notice the hair sticking to my hand.

Thinman, how old are you? When did your hairloss begin? If you are still rather young and/or your hairloss hasn't slowed yet, it could be that you are still losing hair....even with the meds. I know you certainly don't want to hear that and I hope there's a more positive explanation.

S5H

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Keene

3700+ Grafts with Dr. Keene 8/26/08 & 8/27/08

9600+ Total Hairs

He started to loose hair early like myself and had to make a serious decision at age 22. I have followed his comments throughout the forum and he has explained his history and family history. I believe that himself and the surgeon would have projected a worst case scenario and made strategic goals based on Norwood 6 or 7.

I started to loose my hair at age 16.

If he has used his resources conservatively, it would not matter that much.

take care...

• 5 months later...

I know that at times (at least I know that I do) we can see the hair shedding and freak out and assume it as a worst case scenario, however keep in mind that even on meds and after having a HT, the hair strands still go through their typical life cycles, so this could just be normal growth shedding and would likely come back. Now that it has been a few months - How is it how? Also, are you using the original or foam Rogaine?

John