starting on proscar today

Guys,

Im switching from Propecia to proscar today. Is there anything i need to do or know before i switch? Can i split the pill in half and take it every other day or should i split in 1/4's and take it every day?

My Dr. gave me the 5 mg Proscar, with instructions to take 1/3 of the pill on M-W-F.

I've been biting the thing into "1/3", but I think you can purchase a pill cutter.

My insurance wouldn't cover the Proscar unless my doctor called and said that was "the only medicine I could take". So, my 3 month supply (1 mo. of 5mg) was about $85. How does that compare to Propecia, and does anyone have any ideas on getting it cheaper?

I didn't ask the ht doctor to do that for me (call the insurance co.). But, I might ask my family doc when I go back for a refill.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Propecia is about $70 a month but you have to take 1 pill a day. So your option is still cheaper. Thats wierd because my insurance did cover proscar. I guess im lucky. 3 month supply for $10. I hope 1/2 a pill a day is alright.

Originally posted by dakota3:

Propecia is about $70 a month but you have to take 1 pill a day. So your option is still cheaper. Thats wierd because my insurance did cover proscar. I guess im lucky. 3 month supply for $10. I hope 1/2 a pill a day is alright.

Dakota, I think that's too much or I misunderstood. Be careful or you'll shrink your prostate up to nothing. icon_wink.gif

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Dakota, I think that's too much or I misunderstood. Be careful or you'll shrink your prostrate up to nothing.

Dewayne,

I miswrote my last statement. I meant to say 1/2 a pill everyother day. I'd like to keep my prostate thank you. LOL

dak-

Ask your Doc but, no, I don't think it will matter. Quartering Proscar will up your dosage slightly since it's 5mg quartered at 1.25mg each. I actually take 1.25mg every other day at the advice of Dr. Wong and it works for me.

Best of luck,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

i have a question. i've been using proscar and taking the 1.25mg pills everyday. i notice people mentioning that too much can harm your prostate. i am young (early 20s), and am wondering, is this too much to take??

also, if it is too much, will it hurt my fight against hairloss if i switch to every other day after going everyday for almost a year now??

thanks in advance guys

• 3 weeks later...

l am concern if l am endangering my prostate. Dr. Bernstein in NYC gave my 2.5mg of Proscar everyday which l have being on since last August of 2007. l recently notice l go to the bathroom more often this days. l am at risk? l plan to see my Doc in 2 weeks. any advice?

an enlarging prostate gives you the urge to urinate more often, not a shrinking prostate.

I just started taking finasteride a couple weeks ago. I take 2.5mg finasteride a day, and im going to for a month. Im hoping the extra dosage will help jumpstart the regression of my hairloss. After a month, i will go down to 1.25mg a day. I was worried about the possible sexual side affects but i've had no problems.

My insurance also covered my proscar. I only pay a 10 dollar co-pay. I was very happy about that, finally they actually covered something i need.

I just started taking finasteride a couple weeks ago. I take 2.5mg finasteride a day, and im going to for a month.

Hatrick,

Have you consulted a doctor about this. If not maybe you could PM one of the Doc's that frequent this site and get thier opinion! Just looking out after you bro!

i hear ya, thanks for your concern. I know we discussed this before. I'm only gonna do it for a month for reasons i stated above. I have felt no side affects or had any issues since i started the prescription. After a month i'll go down to 1.25mg (2 more weeks). A doctors opinion would be nice though. I just can't see how an extra 1.25mg a day would have such a dramatic effect (on my prostate) as opposed to just 1.25mg a day.