Question??? Hope Dr Feller can help w/ this

assuming you have used all of the donar area available to you via strip can you now look into fue extraction or is that it? I guess what I mean is if you have say 7500 grafts done and a doctor tells you thats about it can you now venture out of the FUT donar area and get a minimal amount of grafts via FUE?

assuming you have used all of the donar area available to you via strip can you now look into fue extraction or is that it? I guess what I mean is if you have say 7500 grafts done and a doctor tells you thats about it can you now venture out of the FUT donar area and get a minimal amount of grafts via FUE?

Ya, exactly what I will eventually do, as well; and it is def possible to get a couple K extra FUEing yerself out!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

OK, this may be a stupid question, but how can you get 7500 grafts and not have at least decent (mature) coverage?

Was there poor planning or poor yield in this case?

I had always heard that the number of grafts required was 1000 x norwood classification, so a NW6 would need 6000 grafts.

OK, this may be a stupid question, but how can you get 7500 grafts and not have at least decent (mature) coverage?

I think you can have decent coverage w/ 7500 grafts, but some people want more than just decent coverage, and why not go for as much as you can if you can afford it.

Originally posted by dakota3:

I think you can have decent coverage w/ 7500 grafts, but some people want more than just decent coverage, and why not go for as much as you can if you can afford it.

If you are stripped out with 7500 grafts and hair greed strikes, I would think it prudent to save precious follicles for repair when hair recedes more.

Being that close to the edge one should exercise extreme caution. Having only 7500 grafts indicates a NW6/7. I believe most 4/5s have closer to 9-10.

1xNW works for basic coverage, IMO, but when you start gearing up for actual density, unless you have +caliber hair charachteristics, I believe you need an increasingy larger number in the _xNW equation.

Also, when you start to get into NW5/NW6dom, the severity of your particular condition is huge -- especially w/ regard to how focused it is on yer crown, and how large that crown is.

Bill is a solid example: he had a really vast, barren crown if I remember aright, and average hair charachteristics; he also had about 7500 grafts (maybe 7700-7800ish); he was able to achieve an amazing transformation w/ good density in the hairline, but a slightly thinned crown region. If he were stripped out (which he isn't), FUEing himself out would be an *ideal* solution and could probably fill in his crown, finishing off his MPB for all intensive purposes.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Your NW level has nothing to do w/ how many grafts you have available.

Actually this isn't entirely true. If a patient has minimal risk of becoming a level 7 on the norwood scale, a surgeon may take donor hair from areas that would not be safe on a norwood 7.

As a norwood level 6, I still have high sides which allowed Dr. Hasson to harvest hair in areas that would be bald if I was a norwood 7. There is some risk involved since there is no guarantee I won't lose more hair. But given my family history and no signs of miniaturization, I took the risk and allowed Dr. Hasson to take hair from a small part of my scalp that wouldn't typically be considered the "universal" safe zone.

I'd suggest i have another 2500 or so grafts available via strip in my donor supply.

Best wishes,

Bill