Plugged Donor Area Repair

uncjim

I hope this finds guys in my situation. For those of you that don't understand what you're seeing here, years ago (pre-strip) hair was transplanted as large circular bundles called plugs. This left many of us with almost naked donor areas. Dr. Wong inserted grafts into the circular scars that resulted from the plug extraction. It's my hope that once grown, the grafts will allow me to have my hair cut normally. While I don't expect the density that I once had, I expect to be able to loose the long hair I've used for many years as camouflage.

UNC

Donor.jpg.c181a5346f49e4b9156bb190d51af23d.jpg

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

I hope this finds guys in my situation. For those of you that don't understand what you're seeing here, years ago (pre-strip) hair was transplanted as large circular bundles called plugs. This left many of us with almost naked donor areas. Dr. Wong inserted grafts into the circular scars that resulted from the plug extraction. It's my hope that once grown, the grafts will allow me to have my hair cut normally. While I don't expect the density that I once had, I expect to be able to loose the long hair I've used for many years as camouflage.

UNC

Is donor repair your only area of concern? What about the plugs you had, have newer methods filled in around them?

I would think your donor sites will look alot better after this, Id guess you'll be cutting your hair soon.

Hi Wylie,

Here's a picture of my hairline before and after two surgeries by Dr. Wong. The old plugs are totally hidden. As a matter of fact, when I was in Vancouver recently, Doug (of Hasson and Wong) took a comb and ran it through the hairline and exclaimed "Where's the old work?" That was a good moment for me. The surgeries were that successful. Thanks for the words of encouragement on the donor area.

UNC

Beore_and_After.jpg.6f657a42433f0aa7e0ed37b381a2478b.jpg

hey ucljim

We havn't met before now but I'm glad to see your very happy with a great repair from Dr Wong

Lossing your hair is bad enough, then having to go through all the heart ache of a repair must be a nightmare , good to see you've done something posertive about your predicament , weldone .

good pics too

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

Richie,

Thanks for the kind and supportive words. To be honest, the repair portion hasn't been a heartache, just the opposite. It's been a dream come true. It's a funny thing, I did what I felt was right way back when in getting the plug surgeries. In spite of the mess created, I was able to cover the bad work pretty well using hair spray. So to the outside world, I don't think many gave my appearance a second thought. It's unfortunate that HT technique was so crude back then, but it was what it was and I chose to go there. What's incredible is that things have improved to the point that they have and I've been fortunate to have been able to benefit. Thanks for replying.

UNC

Originally posted by uncjim:

Hi Wylie,

Here's a picture of my hairline before and after two surgeries by Dr. Wong. The old plugs are totally hidden. As a matter of fact, when I was in Vancouver recently, Doug (of Hasson and Wong) took a comb and ran it through the hairline and exclaimed "Where's the old work?" That was a good moment for me. The surgeries were that successful. Thanks for the words of encouragement on the donor area.

UNC

Wow, what a comeback! Looks awesome, as well as your donor sites being your only area of concern, as your hairline looks outstanding.

In the world of "plugs" you are one of the lucky ones. Many others cant achieve anything that looks like that.

I would think that you could probably do another round in the donor if the first one dont add enough density. You'll be golden

Wylie,

Yeah, I'll accept the rave. icon_biggrin.gif The reason for the success is varied. I had a great doctor in Dr. Wong, excellent hair characteristics (thickly shafted) and above average laxity. As far as ever returning, it ain't gonna happen. All of the circular scars in the donor area now have grafts. If they take (I'd be shocked if they don't) I'll be thrilled. If not, we gave it our best. Beside, if I attempted to return after all the surgeries I've had (3 with Dr.Wong and 9 with less notable surgeons) either my family would disown me or the clinic would lock their door (just kidding..a little HT humor there).

UNC

• Moderators

Hi,

I'm very curious about this because I'm in a similar situation where I've had to grow my hair longish all around to try to cover the scars and haven't been able to have a decent haircut in about 20 years.

I did have strip in the late 80's and early 90's but with early strip transplants they created a new scar for every HT surgery rather than building onto the previous scar. I tried several times to get them to piggyback the old scars, but they told me I was crazy and that it would never work because it would only make the scar wider and wider each time.

For reference you can see a few of my old pictures here:

http://members.aol.com/LongScars/photos.html

So anyway, if your donor area was so sparse that you had to have hair transplanted into it and also were able to add hair in the hairline area, I'm wondering where H&W got the hair for that? Did they first spread some back and side hair around to make it more even and then on a later session do a strip through that area to put in the front? I'm leaning towards using armpit hair because it grows the thickest and longest of any body hair and any donor scars created there won't be seen. I figure one underarm worth of grafts to fill in the scars and the other side to spread around in strategic areas on top to add a look of density.

if I attempted to return after all the surgeries I've had (3 with Dr.Wong and 9 with less notable surgeons) either my family would disown me or the clinic would lock their door (just kidding..a little HT humor there).

You're not even close! I'm pretty sure I hold the record by far for both total number of hair transplant surgeries performed and for how many surgeries can be done in the shortest time frame. I had 25 HT surgeries in a 5-1/2 year period. The closest I ever heard to that number was about 17 total HT surgeries for someone who went through a bunch of repair surgeries to punch out most of the plugs.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

You're not even close! I'm pretty sure I hold the record by far for both total number of hair transplant surgeries performed and for how many surgeries can be done in the shortest time frame. I had 25 HT surgeries in a 5-1/2 year period.

Man, here I am walking around all these years thinking I was The Man! If you don't mind a little feedback..That is F-ing insane! WHEW!!..anyway..

I know there are top doctors out there doing scar revisions. I'm sure that the issue is laxity, whether you have enough to make one scar or not. Possibly each one could be improved if one scar is not possible, either by your strategy or improving each one using Trico closure. Of course, getting an up close and personal with a top doctor would be in order (unless you've already done that).

Dr. Wong got the hair above the nape of the neck. If you look at the image of my donor area, you can see some staples above it. The area above is also loaded with circular scars but easily coverable because there's a lot more hair there and it is coarser. I have no doubt that if I didn't have the plug scars up there, I would have had at least an additional 40% yield.

UNC

hey bud

just got round to reading your blog , 2 scalp reductions ! 80s mini grafts ! scared scalp !

mate you've certainly come a long way , Dr Wong has done a fantastic job since 2002 with all three of your proceedures , totaling almost 6000 modern fue grafts .

after all that I really liked the fact you had a beaming grin in the last pics hahahahaha i look forward to the latest update from january with Dr Wong .

weldone bud , happy for you , hairloss sucks and you've beaten it

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

Richie,

6788 grafts to be exact..but who's counting! icon_wink.gif Thanks for the kind words..much appreciated. I just checked out your Dr. Feller crown work and it looks top notch. It's nice to see post op work close up like you've displayed. Nothing is more valuable for prospective patients who are struggling with a decision...BRAVO!

UNC