I hope I am on the correct topic. I looked them all over and this seems to be the best fit as it is a question about hair loss. I recently had a hair transplant done by Dr. Paul Rose. It was a very positive experience. When I went for my consultation and Dr. Rose found that I was taking statins for my cholestoral, he mentioned that they are discovering that one of the side effects that some folks have is loss of hair. Yesterday, I was speaking with an acquaintance from back up North and I asked her how her husband was doing, though up to that point I really wasn't aware of just exactly what was wrong with him. Well, to cut to the chase, he was taking statins and losing hair all over his body (my problem also, besides my head). The dr. is monitoring him closely for his cholesterol levels but has taken him off the statins about 3-4 months ago and his hair is actually growing back. His barber commented on it and she said that yesterday was the first time he actually had to start shaving again. I am wondering if anyone else on the forum has experienced the same problem. I haven't been able to find anything like these symptoms attributed to statins on the internet only muscle cramping. Would appreciate any input if you have any.

Thanks.

I hope I am on the correct topic. I looked them all over and this seems to be the best fit as it is a question about hair loss. I recently had a hair transplant done by Dr. Paul Rose. It was a very positive experience. When I went for my consultation and Dr. Rose found that I was taking statins for my cholestoral, he mentioned that they are discovering that one of the side effects that some folks have is loss of hair. Yesterday, I was speaking with an acquaintance from back up North and I asked her how her husband was doing, though up to that point I really wasn't aware of just exactly what was wrong with him. Well, to cut to the chase, he was taking statins and losing hair all over his body (my problem also, besides my head). The dr. is monitoring him closely for his cholesterol levels but has taken him off the statins about 3-4 months ago and his hair is actually growing back. His barber commented on it and she said that yesterday was the first time he actually had to start shaving again. I am wondering if anyone else on the forum has experienced the same problem. I haven't been able to find anything like these symptoms attributed to statins on the internet only muscle cramping. Would appreciate any input if you have any.

Thanks.

Ginny,

I recently answered a question I received through email about this very same thing - in fact, it may have been you.

Either way, hopefully my answer below helps you in some way, even though some of it may or may not apply.

----

From what I have read, statins can affect your hormones, and hormonal changes can cause hair loss.

The good news is, most hormonal related hair loss is reversible if the hormonal problem is rectified. This is even true with female and male pattern baldness which is why Propecia (men only) can be effective. Successful hair regrowth will ultimately depend on how much hair loss you've experienced and getting your hormones back to normal.

You may consider asking your physician to prescribe you another cholesterol medication that doesn't contain statins and see if your hair grows back.

Best wishes,

Bill

I take Lipitor, as my cholesterol was once at 229. Since then, it's been about 100 - 110 or so. Though I've never heard of it affecting hair, sometimes I've noticed my muscles and joints being sore. This is particularly evident if I ever stop and then resume it later.

But, as far as living and not having a heart attack I believe these are wonder drugs. So, pick your poison I suppose. My mom and dad, both in early 70's, control everything with fishoils, herbs, etc. Only problem with my dad is he's bald! icon_wink.gif

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Statins (Lipid lowering drugs) as a class have small degree of hairloss side effects.

Good news, there are a lot of good statins on the market and each have different %or degrees of this side effect.

Look at the P.I. (patient education) attached or on-line for each statin and look to maybe change your type of statin-- AS ALWAYS, consult your local PC doctor.

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine xra

MSM/Saw Palmetto

Nioxin Shampoo system

Zrii 3oz daily