What NW would you rate me as?

I'm thinking NW6, eventually.

Those little crash dummy head Norwood guys boggle the snot out of me!!

TOP1.JPG.1cee721a7374f86dfa8634b3b351b2f1.JPG

1.25 mg finasteride EOD

Rogaine Foam 5% QD am

Kirkland minoxidil 5% QD pm

Nizoral Q2W

American Crew Revitalize Shampoo

1.25 mg finasteride EOD

Rogaine Foam 5% QD am

Nizoral Q2W

Originally posted by notgoing2gobald:

don't know it's hard to say without seeing the crown.

I HATE the NW level thing. I think its ridiculous because there are so many variations within each "pattern", it's like what's the point?

I'm with you ng2gb. My hair is 'supplemented' with 300 or so minigraphs so I honestly don't know where I'd be without them. But, even back when I was 23, my hair really started thinning in the front, crown and top at really the same time.

I usually just guess when I'm telling my NW scale. I do know I used to have a hell of a lot more hair, though.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Rick055,

Based on this picture alone, I'd classify you as a diffuse thinner heading toward a full norwood 5A or 6.

If you aren't on hair loss medication such as Propecia and Rogaine, I'd recommend considering them as they are the best non surgical hair loss treatments available and together give you the best chance of regrowing hair.

Bill

P.S.

The norwood scale is a tool to help measure your current hair loss and maybe even help predict (though not a guarantee) your future level of hair loss. It can also be used to gauge the appropriate number of follicular unit grafts you will need for hair transplant surgery.

See a more detailed description and photos of the norwood scale.

Bill

Originally posted by Rick055:

You have a similar style head as mine, except I've had 300 minigraphs which has helped with coverage. For the time (1991), I guess I'm lucking mine turned out as well as it did from some I've seen.

Just from my experience, which is about one month of intense, graduate-level research, I'd say you'll need about two sessions totaling about 5,000 graphs to be satisfied.

How old are you? Like Bill said, I'd get on the meds.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I HATE the NW level thing. I think its ridiculous because there are so many variations within each "pattern", it's like what's the point?

I agree with you ng2gb, the old original Norwood scale has out-lived a lot of its usefulness. Doctor Norwood was operating, at the time, under the assumption that all roads lead to Rome, so to speak. Basically, he and other hair loss researchers hadn't yet realized that there were pattern variants, diffuse thinners and assumed that men do not suffer from FPB or genetic hybriding - that is that men and women can inherit and exhibit both MPB and FPB.

There are newer and updated Norwood scales out there that add in pattern variants, diffuse thinning and direction dependent pattern predictions - that is the differences in patterns between men that bald from the front to the crown and those that bald from the crown to the front.

Rick, you are best off going to a dermatologist that specializes in hair loss to do a scan of your scalp under the microscope to search for miniaturized follicles rather than trying to guess at your NW level, or even have us or a dermatologist that will just write your loss off as MPB and play pin the tale on the donkey with a NW classification.

Originally posted by notgoing2gobald:

don't know it's hard to say without seeing the crown.

"Ask and ye shall receive"

I have sent pics to two coalition docs.

I'm 38, do you really think propecia (if I'd take it in the first place) would do anything for me?

Certainly, not taking propecia wouldn't prevent me from being a transplant candidate, would it?

CROWN.JPG.f64ac67521fabb81c66f93c418e70a9c.JPG

1.25 mg finasteride EOD

Rogaine Foam 5% QD am

Nizoral Q2W

These are the "worst possible" pics, BTW.

Wet hair, combed back, natural light plus flash to show it for real.

I currently use Revita, Rogaine 5% foam a.m., 2% spironolactone a.m., Xandrox 5% p.m., 5% spironolactone p.m.

Have tried propecia a few times in the past (full dose and as low as .5 EOD) and get intermittent testicular pain. Skeeves me out.

My thinking is this: I like a receeding hairline and believe that I have a strong donor supply (I'll find that out shortly). My shaft caliber is thick and has a slight wave to it. So, if I am correct in my thinking that I have lots of donor, I don't know if I want to try propecia again.

With a conservative, receeding hairline and a good donor, I'm thinking I can get enough coverage in the crown not to sparse.

So why take a drug that *can* have side effects if I've got enough hair to do what I want to do. I always wrestle with this question.

Say I had 9,000 thick wavy donor grafts. Even if I went to a NW6, don't you think that's enough to acheive a conservative hairline with some in the crown?

1.25 mg finasteride EOD

Rogaine Foam 5% QD am

Nizoral Q2W

HLBD,

WoW! Your just a walking wikepedia huh? Full of rich insightful information, even historical. Where does it all end? where were you when I was in college writing papers?

Rick,

yeah 9,000 thick wavy donor grafts would probably make a cosmetic difference for you! I would say, based off of those pics, that your currently headed to a NW6. But I would take some without flash because it makes the crown look thinner and the top look thicker. Jotronic has written a lot about this. I took one of my crown with the flash on and it appears thin all the way down by my ears in the pic, when in reality its not thinning at all in that area.

By the way I wouldn't freak out when people (such as myself) throw out NW #s.

I too have wondered about the scenario of having a ht without any meds. Because I haven't tried fin yet and Im not sure how I would respond. I know the docs will still do surgery on you but will STRONGLY advise you get on the meds. I think part of the justification for this is that if your one of the individuals who goes on to a very extensive pattern later in life (much after the ht grows in) that you will save the hair on the top of the sides of the head, below the grafts put in the crown, and if you end up really bad off you won't lose any of the transplanted hairs. to me that is a pretty big detterent to going 'O' Nat'Ural without the meds...

Oh yeah, by the way your real lucky you like the receeding hair line look! Maybe I should try and convince myself I like the comb-over so when I go bald Ill like it. then I can stop hanging around on this site and forget the whole thing.

I'd concur with some others that you are a diffuser heading to a NW5....NW6 level; as mentioned, the NW scale, while not worthless, simply isn't a beacon of truth for many, but it does have its uses.

As you've stated, though, we are seeing your hair in basement conditions. You might currently be something like a NW4.

Regarding predicting your future loss, I've been of the assumption that looking at your hair in "poor" (i.e. "truthful"...) conditions is ideal....I've been checking out mine recently under harsh, bright lighting from a top-down view and it is downright frightening! icon_confused.gif.....icon_redface.gif.... icon_eek.gif..... icon_mad.gif..... icon_frown.gif...... icon_cool.gif

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

WoW! Your just a walking wikepedia huh? Full of rich insightful information, even historical. Where does it all end? where were you when I was in college writing papers?

You should see me play Trivial Pursuit! Although, I usually get a crappy subject that I know nothing about: comparative religions, the history of cricket, what women want, etc.

Oh yeah, by the way your real lucky you like the receeding hair line look! Maybe I should try and convince myself I like the comb-over so when I go bald Ill like it. then I can stop hanging around on this site and forget the whole thing.

ROFL.

1.25 mg finasteride EOD

Rogaine Foam 5% QD am

Nizoral Q2W