Donor Scar and Intense Workouts

Next week I will begin to work out again--I cannot wait-- at almost my 6-week mark post op.

I plan on taking it relatively easy for the first couple of weeks to a month to get my body back into shape, then would like to get back into my normal routine. I work out very intensely on free weights 6-days a week and cardio three times a week.

My question is regarding the scar:

1. Will there be any negative effects on the scar when I begin to work out intensely at the 10-week mark?

2. Should I wait longer than 10-weeks to work out hard?

3. Can I go back to my normal routine at the 6-week mark?

4. How did your scar turn out

Personal experiences and suggestions are appreciated. Also, docs with their recommendations would be helpful!

Thanks,

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

E-man,

There's not exactly a hard fast rule to live by on this. In my opinion, start out gradual and use logic. If you feel any strain on the donor area, stop the exercise and do something else or lessen the weight.

Honestly, I didn't start doing regular bench press until after 3 months because the donor area felt strange up until then. But pumped my chest up by doing hammer strength machines all the same.

My scar turned out real nice and I was back in the gym doing something on the 7th day.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill-

I wish I had been back in the gym at 7 days, but per post-op instructions I have to wait at least a month. I DO miss it and friends of mine there are wondering what happened to me!?

I figured I would use some of the selectorize machines and our hammer-like machines, especially for bench and squat-like exercises.

I was wondering at what point did you begin to go all out again, in terms of intensity and weight?

Just really looking forward to next Monday and don't want to do anything to negatively affect the donor scar.

My initial HT thread:

I found that laying flat on my back, ala bench press, crunches, etc. caused me to feel the donor area "stretching" or something.

I faked a wrist injury for about two months to ease back into it.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

E--just be careful--I know others get back in the gym right away, but I am of a more cautious nature.

You just need to be careful---I thought I would be ok, but then my scar started burning and throbbing as a result of my actions--I wasn't working out, but something that involved a great deal of physical activity.

better safe than sorry

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hi Eman, you definitely have to be careful. I played ice hockey for 20 years and was a gym-Junkie. Returned to the gym after 3,5 weeks - and now I have a 7cm-scar that is quite ok and a second one that is bullshit. Hopefully Rahal will be able to remove it. I know it's hard, but keep in mind that the scar could stretch. If I were you I would go running - and start lifting weights very slowly.

Okay guy, five days to go. I can hardly wait...

Thanks you all for the responses.

After almost six weeks away from the gym, I figured I could get back into it. I will take it slowly and carefully for a month or so, then trending harder.

It's good to hear your experiences. My biggest question is simply when you all were able to get back to pre-HT working out?

My initial HT thread:

Caution is a good thing. After all, your hair transplant is an investment and you want to protect it (donor and recipient area alike).

Most clinics will tell you that you can start doing cardio after 10 days and some light weight training. In my opinion, start very light and then gradually increase over time.

Trust me, you can get a great workout burning those reps of very light weight without putting any strain on the donor area.

Be careful to avoid exercises where you have to bend your neck. If you're going to do abdominals, don't put your hands on your head and don't put your chin to your chest. Upright leg lifts may be better for awhile if your gym has an adequate machine for doing them. Avoid touching the back of your head to any equipment for awhile until you feel comfortable, and then start with light weight and gradually increase as long as your donor area doesn't feel any bit of strain.

Use common sense and good judgement. Stop doing an exercise if you suspect any kind of strain or problem.

And always follow the advice of your hair transplant surgeon icon_smile.gif

Best wishes,

Bill

Eman, now is a great time to work on low weight/high rep/heavy cardio. Being lean actually gives the appearance of being larger/more muscular.I just started back...very lightly...about two weeks ago (I am 2 months post op). Actually, I have had great success with doing 12-15 reps with only 30 seconds in between each set to keep the heart rate up. You end up having a fat burning extravaganza! Obviously, you have to keep on a high protein/low carb/low fat diet. Over the summer I dropped 30lbs in less than three months (yeah, I was a fat ass and took off about a year of working out while indulging in anything and everything...Hairloss depression!) Just remember, there are no "do-overs"! If you stretch that scar, you'll have to live with it. Take your time, my man. Those weights will be waiting for you when you're ready.

Chuck, I'd wait at least a couple of more weeks. What did Dr. Keene tell you? Have you asked her?

S5H

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Keene

3700+ Grafts with Dr. Keene 8/26/08 & 8/27/08

9600+ Total Hairs

Best to ask your doc. We let patients go back to everything except crunches and arching bench presses after the sutures are out and it hasn't been a problem yet. But your doc may have a different experience or do a different closure.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks Dr. Lindsey, good to hear from you!

I had sutures and tricho closure, similar to what you use in your practice. My post-op instructions say one month. Seems conservative, but I am following the instructions. It's nice to hear what other docs recommend and that their patients do not have problems with the scar.

My initial HT thread:

Eman,

I'm glad you started this blog topic because I have the same concerns.

Since this is my 3rd surgery, I decided to take the extra conservative route and I haven't worked out for a month also.

I think I'm going to wait 1 more week since I see my Dr. next week for a scar exam.

I noticed that if I lay on the bench my scar area is still sensitive so I'm just doing the stairs, push-ups and the machines. I can't wait to get back to the free weights.

My advice is to just be careful and take care of your investment (The HT).

ez- not working out for a month has been one of the hardest things I have done in regards to my HT. I have not even stepped in the gym, much less do anyting physical. I have been super conservative at this point and am ready to get back in. I am sure it has been tough for you too!

Each day is one day closer to growth and hitting the gym!!

My initial HT thread:

Chuck, I'd wait at least a couple of more weeks. What did Dr. Keene tell you? Have you asked her?

She said it was ok to use machines right now, just no free weights. I think I will hold off till the one month mark then do the high rep on machines for a month. thanks

EMAN

Just remember your doc has his instructions based on his experience. Follow his orders not mine.

I agree with you on the workout insanity that occurs when you can't go to the gym. The only week I have missed since 1978 when I built my first weight bench was the week of my vasectomy in 2001. That's a double whammy...to get clipped and miss the gym!

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Well all, I went to the gym tonight for the first time in almost six weeks since surgery. It was so nice to get back in, but think I spent more time catching up with people than actually working out.

Did low weight, high reps and enjoyed every minute of it. No strain on the scar at all during the exercises; I have had more strain on it when I put on my shoes.

I was asked a couple of times why I was wearing a hat as I normally do not wear one. I simply said I was going incognito, trying to hide from people so I wouldn't have to talk with them. If that was truly my goal, it didn't work so well.

It was nice to build up a little sweat and get the heartrate moving. And it was especially nice to see the lovely ladies prancing around the facility...ah the motivation.

But seriously, no strain on the scar so far...

My initial HT thread:

I have a different approach. I allow, on the 6th day after the procedure, for my patients to resume full exercise and normal hair washing, with the exception of no swimming until all crusts fall off. For most patients, by 6 to 7 days most crusts are gone.

I do recommend no yoga or other activities in which there is stretching of the neck for the first 3 to 4 weeks.

However, you need to ask your surgeon for his advice to be sure of achieving the kind of results with which he/she feels comfortable.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS

www.foundhair.com

www.womenscenter.com

Miami and NYC

Dr. Epstein,

That is a different approach.

Are you including intense weight lifting workouts in your approach? 6-7 days post-op seems far too early to start doing full force weight lifting workouts, especially given that the sutures/staples are still in.

I'd be interested in more detailed feedback.

Best wishes,

Bill

Oh it is you.

Glad to hear that there were no issues with working out.

Been paying alot of attention to your procedure in particular, due to the fact that you had your sideburns fixed as well, something you don't see that often.

Do you have any idea how many grafts were spend on doing this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Thought I would update you all again. I officially completed my first full week of working out and I feel much less stir crazy. FREEDOM!

I lifted light with lots of reps for each exercise. For legs, I avoided squats but used the machine equivalents and did the same for chest. No abdominal work at this point and will probably wait for another month or so. I am nice and sore.

No strain on the scar when at the gym at this point, which I think means I am doing things right. I did actually feel the donor scar when trying to lift my gf off the couch (she was sleeping). I stopped, as it felt like a little tugging or burning--no more of that. Man, I am weak (and she only weighs about 110 lbs!?!).

Dr. E- I agree with Bill that your approach is interesting. I would love to hear more of why you feel it is ok to fully work out that early (just curious). I, personally, am glad I didn't go back in very early as any kind of simple lifting even at home seemed to put strain on the donor area early on. And my instructions were a month of downtime.

Mike- if you are referring to my HT, I did receive temple work...I think that is what you are asking about and a good question. I was told at the time of the surgery, but don't recall the exact number. I will have to find out. I think it was upwards of 300 per side.

My initial HT thread:

Dr Epstein's recommendation is pretty close to mine that I have posted. After the skin sutures are out, patients can do anything in the gym that doesn't stretch the neck. Like crunches (similar to yoga--I have never had anyone ask about yoga), and arching your back to do heavy bench presses--I don't want all of that weight on my scar line. Benching without arching is ok for our patients.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA