Accelerated Healing Suggestions

I am 3 days removed from an HT. All is well but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for accelerating the healing of the scalp and donor area. I would like to go on a 3 day vacation before I go back to work, but I need to heal faster in order to to this.

Should I get another bottle of graftcyte? My bottle is almost gone? What about copper peptide, salt water etc.?

Not much you can do while the stitches are still there, except keep the area clean and dry, I sprayed the donar area with saline solution a few times a day, also an ice pack helped with the swelling and pain.

I would recommend GraftCyte spray. It contains copper peptides, which are optimal for healing. I sprayed my recipient area every hour after my transplant and seemed to heal up fairly quickly.

I would also recommend minoxidil if you want your growth to come in earlier. Usually you don't use minoxidil for a couple of weeks after the transplant though. Definitely check with your doctor first.

At day 9-10 is it okay to sort of "remove" scabs, which are obviously crusted over, dead/white skin, and a bit loose, but not falling off?

Is there any harm that can be done to grafts at this point in time? All of the skin underneath the area is still pink too...

All normal?

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

MM,

Take it easy and kep the area clean.

Did you have any swelling in the recipient area and forehead?

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.

No sweling, no discomfort. Healing is going well. I just have an opportunity to take a 3 day trip before I go back to work (which would be be the 8th thru 10th day after surgery) and I would like my HT to not be noticeable. It sounds like I just need to keep the recipient area moist with slaient solution and hope for the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am three weeks post op and have used Aloe and also used "hair oil". I found in the hair care section, it is a mix of various oils including mineral oil. It seems to work the best with the scabs and scaling. You can gently move your fingers in a circular motion on the scabs and if you don't force the issue alot of scabs will come off. Just a suggestion, seems to have worked for me. Good luck.

At about 10 days to two weeks, I started aloe and oil. The vast majority of the scabs came off without hair. The majority of the transplanted hair is still there. It is slowly starting to come out when I shampoo. I wouldn't be too aggressive until two weeks plus. And even then no fingernails. Talk to your doc, my post op instructions were pretty specific. I still have some scabs at three weeks post op and won't worry until I am four weeks post op. I hope this helps, I know everyone heals differently. You just don't want to damage your grafts. This is my first op, I am sure there are folks out there with more experience than me. I am just trying to be patient (not having much luck). Remember always run with scissors (lol).

Hasson and Wong give you your first cleaning the day after HT........very gentlly pouring lukewarm water over the grafts and they recommend washing the hair every day from that day forward. Their specified goal per post-op instructions is to be "scab-free" at 8-10 days.

I'm at the 10-day mark today and do not have any scabs left after following these instructions. They also indicate that afte 7-8 days most people tend not to be aggressive enough while washing the newly transplanted hair. As long as you don't use finger nails and just rub shampoo throughout with your fingers I think you should be fine.

I started to use mederma for the scar the day after taking out my staples which was yesterday, we'll see how it goes. So far my scar is very thin with no scabs left on it.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I am a little late with this update but my healing process went extremely well. Scabs were almost completely gone at 7 days. Minimal itching occurred. The key was keeping the receipent area clean and moisturizing often with saline solution. That was it! Went back to work on day 10, had my hair cut on day 15 and actually went on a date on day 16.

Thanks for everyone's help!

• 1 year later...

Aloe shampoo worked wonders in my donor area. I made sure to clean it especially well to avoid scabing and scarring

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by SlowlyThinning@59:

Did you just rinse your hair with saline then pat it dry, both donor and recepient areas? I know saline is saline but any particular type/brand? Thanks

Yes, but I only did the recipient area.

Make sure you use the normal saline, not the multipurpose kind.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Originally posted by finnari:
Originally posted by finnari:

What is missing here is advice on using food and supplements to heal. Your body heals from the inside out. I am a bit of a nutrution geek and believe strongly in viewing food like medicine.

I was red free and went out post op day three without a hat.

Every day I drink fresh organic smoothies with blueberries, strawberries and bananas. I also juice an apple with a lot of carrots in the afternoon. These are filled with anti-oxidents and will help your skin look better and heal quicker. I drink 8-10 glasses of good water per day. I use various supplements. I exercise a lot.

I heal very fast at the age of 41.

I do appreciate all the advice about the shampooing of the head. I think I have been to scared to use my fingers I have been mostly patting my head. But better safe then tearing into the grafts. Dr. Keenes assisant told me using the saline you use to clean contact lenses are okay. I used a spray bottle every hour or two the first three days.

I would advise you to see the big picture. Going out or on trips and perhaps removing grafts scabs prematurely may jeaprodize your final result.

Where is Hairbank. Isn't this an old post resurrected? lol

I would recommend the GraftCyte as well. It has Aloe and I know a number of contributors swear by it. I concur.

Another thing I did, that I thought was really helpful was, rather than shower, take a bath. In fact, take one in the morning and one at night. Something about fully dunking those suckers and staying under water, gently shampooing your head and re-immersing them in the water really helped me. Plus, when is the last time you got to soak in the tub?

Did the clinic give you the GraftCyte pads? Putting them on, wearing the plastic cover for 20 to 30 minutes and then spraying the solution on at the recommended intervals (I think it was 6 to 8 times a day, if I am not mistaken) keeps that head moist.