800 FUE, Dr. Griffin (pics enclosed)

Dewayne

To follow up on my earlier post, here are some pics of the way I look now. I've got $6k in cash for a ht right now, and an appt. for a consult on Feb. 13. Dr. Griffin's tech says a small session of 800 FUE is app. $5600.

I had 300 "mini" graphs 17 years ago with Dr. Shory at Latham's Hair Clinic. It's somewhat noticeable by some, but probably not a bad job considering it was '91.

004.JPG.5d296431a42cf32467409f414aca8924.JPG

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

To follow up on my earlier post, here are some pics of the way I look now. I've got $6k in cash for a ht right now, and an appt. for a consult on Feb. 13. Dr. Griffin's tech says a small session of 800 FUE is app. $5600.

I had 300 "mini" graphs 17 years ago with Dr. Shory at Latham's Hair Clinic. It's somewhat noticeable by some, but probably not a bad job considering it was '91.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Here's another. I'm not sure how to post all my pics. This one is the front of my head.

002.JPG.a3c1ff5e67241e8e16f6e20c33cd2cdd.JPG

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Dewayne,

Please talk to Dr. Griffin about your long term hair restoration goals.

Given the amount of hair loss you have, you will most likely need about 4000+ grafts to achieve adequate hair coverage and density.

If you decide to do this entire process via FUE, multiple the amount you are paying by 5 or so surgeries.

In my opinion, strip may be the better alternative. To learn more about the differences between Strip and FUE, click here.

Bill

dewayne,

definitely listen to what Bill said; there would be marginal cosmetic improvement with 800 grafts distributed over your area of loss; you need to go to a doc that does strip megasessions, like a H &W, and aim for as many grafts as they can get, hopefully 4000+, depending on your donor; you need to plan on spending 15,000 though; I know from experience that it is not worth the downtime/recovery and wait for a small number of grafts, then realize it and go through the process again--it is very painful psychologically;

Hi Dewayne

The following is your earlier post

For $5600. That's a small session, but his tech said the yield wouldn't be higher if I do a large session. Will it make a difference if I get 2,000 or so in one session vs. three sessions?

That's a lot of cash, imo. I've saved up $6k but I don't want to go into debt about it. FWIW, I had 300 'mini's' for $3k back when I was 25 in 1991. I've got crown and front thinning issues; and my part is thin.

I could use 3,000 I suppose if I had $15k or so. But, things like kid's college, retirement, mortgage, etc. are still important.... Thanks.

Could i ask where the figure of 800 fue came from as you have not had your consultation yet and like others have said ,judging by your pictures 800 will do very little.

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

Chucky,

I had a consult with Dr. Griffin 2.5 years ago, and made the decision to start saving the $$ instead of financing. Last week I called and tried to get info. out of his tech, who scheduled me for an appointment. I asked the going rate for a 'small' session, as I knew Dr. Griffin prices them by small, med. large, very large, etc. and he said $5600. I asked how many and he said that's 800 FUE.

I'm not sure if Dr. Griffin does strip, b/c I've just learned the difference.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Dewayne,

Dr. Griffin also does strip.

It sounds to me that you need to do a bit more research before taking the plunge.

With your current hair loss condition, in my opinion, you will need approximately 4000 grafts.

800 therefore will not make much of a difference.

As I said, please be sure to talk to Dr. Griffin about your long term hair restoration goals.

Work with him to develop reasonable expectations and make sure that you two are on the SAME PAGE before indulging in surgery.

Price becomes important when you are deciding the OVERALL cost for all the procedures you will need.

Bill

• Moderators

Dewayne,

Why are you looking at FUE? You say you had 300 minis done years ago, so you already have a strip scar. Why not just get 2000 grafts with strip. It won't be overly expensive and you'll get some decent improvement.

If you didn't already have a HT scar I can see wanting to try FUE, but with a scar already there I think you're better off piggybacking onto that scar for another strip session.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Actually, I've learned a lot here researching the past couple of days and that's probably what I will do. I've read where they can even make the scar look better as well. That tech hasn't seen me, so I should forget what he says until I see the doc I suppose.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week