hair transplant advice with pics

i'm 34 and started thinning when i was around 21. i have pretty fine hair and a naturally high hairline. i don't think i have any loss other than the front and am considering a transplant since it's starting to show through in the front. i am going to start on propecia/proscar this week. i'm worried that a transplant would make things worse with the "shock loss" i've been reading about though. please excuse the funky hair look icon_smile.gif

front2.jpg.07c77b4fbcf2fb464df12a1f67a0512b.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any loss sucks but your loss has been gradual given your age. Since you've not tried the meds before, even though they're not noted for frontal regrowth, you may see how you fare for a year or so before considering a HT.

If you decide to try the HT route, IMO you're in a decent situation. Shock loss is a concern, however, your hair appears pretty thick everywhere but the hairline with some loss in the temple area. So, you probably can get by with dense packing in your areas of total loss, with a little fill in around the hairline. Since you really don't appear to need density everywhere else this should lessen any possible shock loss. I would guess 2500 would fill you in nicely.

Of course, this is my best guess............you ought to forward your pics to a surgeon for a consult if you want to seriously consider it. Have you thought of who you may consider using?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

thanks, friend. i'm definitely not looking to rush into anything with a ht. my plan is to try the drugs for a year and see how things work out. i had been considering dr. griffin in atlanta since i'm from there. does propecia/proscar's effectiveness dissipate over time?

• 2 weeks later...

no hair sux,

I have to tell you that at 34 your in a very good position in regards to your hair loss especially having not taken any meds yet. If I was you I would go on Propecia for 6 months which should strengthen your crown and might add a bit of density (it will also help minimize shock loss). Then after 1 HT I think you should have a full head of hair restored.

Your lucky because it doesnt look like you will need to have more than 1 HT to achieve fantastic results, a lot of us here are destined for multiple HT's and a depleted donor supply which will not give us more than a thinning coverage all round.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I know two guys on Propecia who have thickened up considerally in the last 9 months. I would try that for a year. You still have great hair. If it does not help and it looks like the rest of your hair is maintaining, you would be able to take care of the hairline in a snap with a top HT surgeon.

I am curious over the Propecia advice: it's clear that it will not restore the hair he wants.

It may make the hair on top a bit thicker, save the ones about to fall, but as far as growing new hair, can we agree that no new ones will come up (short of a miracle) in his temples?

Take propecia to prepare for HT or take it to see how good the results are?

• 1 month later...
no hair sux

no hair sux its funny how we are almost same age and have exact same hair!

im going for HT in one week,i was told i need only 2000 grafts.

i have been taking propecia for 4 months and i had a LOT of sheding but it looks that now is much better.

i hope i will not have a lot of shock-loss after my surgery,im little bit scared about that but we will see!

To shed or not to shed! Shedding with Propecia seems to vary. If you do, don't worry about it.........it'll come back. Most who experience shedding (we all shed, just not all at once) have had the unfortunate experience of the Propecia kicking alot of their hair into it's Telogen (resting) phase. The total resting period is anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 months, then it'll grow back.

This is why it's best to give Propecia 1 full year before making any decisions as to its effectiveness.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 1 month later...

well, it's been a little over 2 months on propecia. i've noticed less hairs around everywhere, but the front seems thinner...shedding? hope it's working.

i had a consult with a prominent atlanta dr.(who i can't mention on this website...) today since i'm like 15 minutes away. it went pretty well. they said i could get by with around 1500 at 40-50 density around the temples and lightly hit the middle hairline(trying to avoid shock and be conservative). i'm really considering them now just for the fit/fue and not wanting a big ol' scar

they said i had some light miniaturization on the top, but at the rate i'm going, it would probably be a long time before that made an impact. that worried me a bit icon_confused.gif

My hairloss is very similiar to yours and I dont think it would be enough. I dont think you could get 50cms squared with 1500 graphs. I think hairbank said it right 2500. it looks like you are thin on the bridge too, same as me. you should go all over and try for consistancy on top and not in a couple areas. Consult a few places and do yourself a favor. If you get the same answersd from all places then choose who is best for you. You can also do online consultations. checkout my blog for pics I think you will be able to relate to my hairloss. I had mine done at 32

thanks for the advice. i think that 1500 mark was mainly for the sides and mostly avoiding the middle area. they were concerned with shock loss in the middle because i still have high density there, but it's mostly miniatured.

i'm certainly going to go for more opinions before i decide anything.

• 3 weeks later...