Scalp laxity linked to body fat percentage?

I just saw Comb's massive 5400 graft strip session with Dr. Hasson and I was blown away: http://hair-restoration-info.c...=636104312#636104312

However, I have concerns that my scalp laxity is tight and I might not be able to get a good graft count when I get my first HT. I have attempted the laxity exercises but I find them actually difficult to do - my elbows hurt when I attempt to raise/lower the scalp in the rear of my skull. I may have a bit of tendenitis from liting weights which causes this discomfort, but it makes me wonder if there is an efficient alternative exercise?

I am also concerned that laxity may be lower with persons with lower body fat percentages? I have about 12-13% body fat, but I am working on decreasing to 8% over the course of 2009. Will that be counterproductive if I plan on having a HT at the end of 2009?

NW5a, fin/foam/couvre

3801 grafts FUE, Dr Jose Lorenzo - Madrid, November 2014

glocktop,

Good question! I remember someone raising this issue once, though it concerned taking fat-burning drugs.

I think you are more concerned with body fat in the torso and thighs, rather than the layers of collagen under the skin throughout the body.

The level of collagen varies across the body and the same applies for the scalp. The region beneath the occipital bump has lower level of collagen (I believe...not too sure).

" I have about 12-13% body fat, but I am working on decreasing to 8% over the course of 2009. Will that be counterproductive if I plan on having a HT at the end of 2009?"

I don't think so.

Body fat ratio of between 5% to 25% may be considered normal.

"

take care...

My body fat percentage (done using skin fold calipers with a +/- of 2%) was 5.5% in December. I visited two coalition doctors who told me that my scalp laxity was excellent. I can't think of a reason why having low body fat would contribute to a tight scalp.

I always wondered about that. Sometimes you see those guys that have greater body fat and they have one or 2 rolls on the back of their neck. I cannot help but think to myself "Wow I bet they have a bout 6000 graphs in that roll alone!" lol

justgrow, yes! That is exactly my line of thinking, which is why I brought up this question. Perhaps it is a nonissue though. /relief

NW5a, fin/foam/couvre

3801 grafts FUE, Dr Jose Lorenzo - Madrid, November 2014

glocktop:

I also get tired easily of scalp exercise. One way to get around that is to lie on a couch (like slouching), put your hands behind your head, and then push your head up against the couch. Then alternate and then push your head down. You can stay in these positions a longer period of time, without getting your arms tired.

I don't think that there is a correlation between body fat and laxity. However, I agree that some fat guys have a few folds on the back of their head, and that can really help with HT. However, I don't think these fat people are self-conscious or vain enough to have HT anyway.

As for body fat, unless you are an athlete or a serious body builder, I don't think it is normal to have body fat <15%.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I find that a good way to "loosen up" the skin on a tight scalp is to place both palms at each side of the back of the head, below the occipital ridge, thumbs pointed downward but without the fingers interlocked. Then push both palms inward towards each other as hard as you can. This should slightly scrunch the scalp skin between your two palms. Hold this position for a minute or two and then release it.

Next, find a good grip with your palms on the sides of your head, slightly behind the ears and above (or on) the occipital ridge. Have your hands both pointed upward forming an "A" over your head. Personally, I find the scalp is much harder to move forwards than backwards so with the hands in this position it seems to result in more palm area gripping the sides/back of the head. While sitting like this, bend your head downward so that you're looking at the ground. Push hard against the sides of your head with your palms and angle both your elbows inward. Pull your palms forward (i.e. towards the ground) and bring your elbows closer together while you pull. It's important to ensure that your grip is very tight so that your palms don't slip over your hair. Pulling your head upward while pulling downward with your palms also creates some good resistance. If you do it right, you'll feel your scalp move forward, even if only a little.

Repeat these backwards-and-forwards pulling and holding exercises a few times and this should really help loosen up the back of the scalp. Then you can proceed with the traditional scalp exercises.

The beauty of this technique is that it's also less vigorous than constant massaging of the scalp, so it's easier to hold the "stretching" position for longer without your arms and elbows growing as tired.

At least this is what's been working for me! icon_smile.gif

Scalp stretching exercises really do work.

I find absolutely no connection between patient obesity and scalp laxity. Just last week we had 2 thin fellows in, both did scalp exercises, and one was "loose as a goose" and closed perfectly, the other was a challenge even with a 1.5 cm wide strip and 2 layer closure.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I did scalp exercises 2 months prior to HT and although my donor area was average I still managed to get over 4300 grafts because my scalp was loose and Doc was able to take out a wide strip and close it easily.

Do as many as you can everyday, it well help!