Is Dermatch or toppik causing hair loss

i have been loosing hair since 2005 and have my head buzzed down to a 1 guard. I have diffused thinning on the top and temple receding. I started using toppik things were looking nice. I also ordered Dermatch and started using it for the past two weeks. I apply Dermatch first as base and then sprinkle toppik over the top and it looked awesome. Since using Dermatch i am seeng more thinning. My temples have disappeard.

the way i use dermatch is just run the applicator dry on the disk and apply it on my scalp.

My question is dermatch causeing hair loss? I have been using it everday and and wash my hair at night with nioxin and johnson baby shampoo every alternate day.

In addtiion i m taking propecia since 2005 as well. I thought my hair loss has stabilised but after using dermatch it has started again.

I have heard no reports of dermatch or toppik causing hair loss. However, on application of dermatch, you may trigger some hair shedding since you have to run the brush through your hair and it pulls. This hair however, would have fallen out anyway either due to the normal hair growth cycle (in which case it would regrow), or male pattern baldness.

Personally, this was one reason I didn't like dermatch. Though I know any shed hairs would regrow if they weren't suffering from hair loss, I didn't like losing a number of hairs during application.

Bill

Bill, thank you for responding. I had hunch that while i am applying Dermatch I might be pulling off those weak hairs.. Now I am totally bummed out. I cannot afford to loose anymore hair than i have to, every single one of them counts... LOL.. I should have just stuck with toppik... i guess i got greedy.. serves me right.....life is not fair..

Don't sweat it too much, any hairs you lost (prematurely) from the dermmatch would have been very much on their way out.

Also, I would suggest wetting the applicator just a bit, and delicately applying the dermmatch. I too noticed that when I used a dry applicator and rubbed my scalp "vigorously", I lost some hairs.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it would definatly have to be involved with the use of the applicator.

I asked my doctor post HT surgery about using concealers such as toppik, and she said that oxygen needed to keep the hair and follicles alive came throu the blood stream, and the scalp was minimal in bringing in oxygen (hence why hats don't cause hairloss)

Just be extremely careful when applying any type of concealer. Since i have a dirty blonde natural hair color, i mix my concealers to provide nice results. I sprinkle on the light brown then pat it down, then apply the medium brown and pat that down as well. This way im not combing thru any hairs and pulling out the weak ones before they die off on their own.

You should be fine with using a different approach for concealment

Anything worth doing is never easy

• 1 month later...

I wouldnt be concerned about losing hair using dermatch.. The hair that falls out would anyway as long as you are not being excessively rough..

it can be tough to watch hair fall out while brushing, running your hand through, or using products.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 6 months later...

This is my first time finding this forum and I just had to reply to this question.

I don't know all the terms and degrees of balding but will describe the best I can.

About age 45 I went to Orlando for hair transplant. This procedure involved cutting and lifting the sides and back up so that when it came time to do grafting there would be less needed and supposedly the side hairs that were still to fallout would be accounted for down the road. They stretched and stretched and even though numb I could feel the constant needles used to inject the numbing stuff.

My scalp wasn't as loose as they thought. Lotta trauma to the scalp and sides. They did the graphs and made a realistic hairline all was about 5K. My head is very scarred from the scalp lift and so I don't feel comfortable shaving my head. This doctor was a butcher.

Later I arranged locally to have more hair transplanted to fill in around the surgery and the Doctor was good. Well my head looked like it needed much more but money was an issue so I lived with it.

I'm now 55 and thought maybe I'd give covering a try and searched online.....seemed like Dermatch was a good choice and so far the only one I've ever used. At first it filled in quickly and I thought that was amazing. After using about 1-2 months about I thought I was imagining that I was having to apply farther and farther around the crown area where the bald area meets the hair and that surrounding area was thinner and thinner. Also in back on top less hair and on sides half way down to ears, like mange almost. Like I said I thought I was imagining but at 55 I thought what I had on the sides etc. would pretty much stay. I used it for maybe 4 months altogether. I don't understand it all but it happened and it could happen to someone else and for people concerned about baldness they don't want to lose anymore..

One other thing. It sticks and dirties the white fiberglass shower I have and clogs the drain. If you have an outdoor shower or tiled shower maybe you don't notice but it seems the grout would be black. Signed up just to post this for Jazz.