What to expect? (results/time, money, pain,)

I am 26 years old. When I was a kid I had the thickest hair anyone had ever seen, barber's used to hate cutting it because it was so damn thick. When I was around 18 the top started thinning and receding. Now my hair is receded very far and the entire top is so thin it almost looks bald but slightly patchy some areas are balder than others. My sides and very back are still super thick but I buzz my head every 3 or 4 days with an electric hair cutter. Anyways I am wondering what I should expect for results if I get surgery. Is this something that could be all done in one shot? It would be ideal to get the whole process done in one shot but I hear of people going back 2-4 times. And I was also wondering how painful it is? And how much should I expect to pay? Also do not know if it matters but I never took any regrowth products except for something (can't remember the name) I took a few years back but only took for a couple months and didn't notice anything.

Try to get on Proscar and Rogaine foam immediately. You are young so that might give you some good growth.

You'll likely need at least two sessions, based on your description.

But, the pain is the least of your worries. It's really not an issue. Seriously, a root canal is a hell of alot more painful. the stitches are a pain for a couple of weeks, but that's about it.

Where are you located? Some guys with a similar need might spend $20k on about 6,000 grafts.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

nxsov,

As Dewayne said, you should definitely get on finasteride (Proscar) to stabalize your hair loss; with your level of loss, you are going to have to have realistic expectations; it is highly unlikely that you will be able to achieve even the illusion of a full head of hair; you will have to go with a conservative hairline also, to conserve grafts; I would recomment a doc that does mega sessions, like H and W; get as many grafts as you can get for the frontal third to frame your face; then you can do a second pass to refine/add more density going back; you are going to want to get at least 3000 grafts for the first pass if your donor allows, more if you can get it; you need to plan on spending 12-15000 on your first surgery if you get a megasession; I hope I don't sound harsh; just being honest; I've had 2600 grafts and I was a NW 3, and I still would even like another surgery; continue to research;

check out this link and view some pictures of patients with Class 6 hairloss. You can also look at different classes and pick out someone who looks like you.

Honestly though, you look like my neighbor and he shaves his completely every morning. I think he looks better than he would with half coverage. Take the $25k and put it down on a Porche or something and shave it down.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Share-info/hairlos...-byClass.asp?Class=6

Don't do as I did, and have a bad hair transplant you have to hide the rest of your life, though. Make sure it's a coalition doc.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

nxsov,

Welcome to our forum community.

Going strictly off your pictures, with your degree of baldness, you are going to have to develop some very realistic expectations. You appear to have an advanced norwood 6 or norwood 7 pattern which is the highest degree of balding. Patients with balding patterns at this level have less of a donor hair supply and a greater area of baldness to cover.

As suggested by other helpful members, if you want to preserve any native hair on top of your head (can't tell how much by the pictures), consider finasteride and maybe add minoxdil for potential hair regrowth.

Research and consult with our Coalition surgeons who have proven to be some of the best in the industry and see what they recommend.

You may also want to look at hair transplant photos by norwood scale and use our animated graft calculator to help you develop your goals.

Best wishes in restoring your hair,

Bill

Originally posted by Nxsov180db:

I am 26 years old. When I was a kid I had the thickest hair anyone had ever seen, barber's used to hate cutting it because it was so damn thick. When I was around 18 the top started thinning and receding. Now my hair is receded very far and the entire top is so thin it almost looks bald but slightly patchy some areas are balder than others. My sides and very back are still super thick but I buzz my head every 3 or 4 days with an electric hair cutter. Anyways I am wondering what I should expect for results if I get surgery. Is this something that could be all done in one shot? It would be ideal to get the whole process done in one shot but I hear of people going back 2-4 times. And I was also wondering how painful it is? And how much should I expect to pay? Also do not know if it matters but I never took any regrowth products except for something (can't remember the name) I took a few years back but only took for a couple months and didn't notice anything.

I'll be very honest and give you sincere advise:

1. Join a gym and get lean.

2. You will look great as you are.

I truly do not think you need to make a HT investment or go on medication. You'll look great regardless.

And I'm not gay but this is sincere advice. icon_smile.gif

hi nx,your story is a carbon copy of mine.take a minute to look at my blog,ive had 2 proceedures and although ive not got a "george clooney",ive certainly got a "bruce willis" in his "moonlighting"days icon_smile.gif

there is hope mate,but defo get on the meds and let it grow out a little to see what youve got.

good luck.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

to tell the truth i didnt want a major transformation,i was basically looking for that early bruce willis,jason statham,sting sort of look.plus i dont think my donor would have allowed anyway.

i had to be realistic to what was possible with what i had,as does nx.

it is no good looking at norwood 2 or 3 proceedures and thinking "i want that" when you have our level of hairloss.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.