FUE Megasession Success?

What are my chances for success, if after 7 months post-op, my hairline appears to have a density of less than 25 grafts/cm2 when the grafted density at the time of surgery was supposed to be 80-90 grafts per square centimeter in the hairline area?

I cannot even go hatless at 7 months post-op because of the noticeable pinkness and sparse grafted areas!

Can I reasonably expect improvement or should I accept failure after only 7 months?

Please do not ask where the surgery was performed because I do not wish to divulge that information at this time, but I will add that the surgeon is very popular in Europe as well as in the United States!

What are my chances for success, if after 7 months post-op, my hairline appears to have a density of less than 25 grafts/cm2 when the grafted density at the time of surgery was supposed to be 80-90 grafts per square centimeter in the hairline area?

I cannot even go hatless at 7 months post-op because of the noticeable pinkness and sparse grafted areas!

Can I reasonably expect improvement or should I accept failure after only 7 months?

Please do not ask where the surgery was performed because I do not wish to divulge that information at this time, but I will add that the surgeon is very popular in Europe as well as in the United States!

FUE from my experience did take longer to come in than the norm - you should be able to tell within the next 3 or 4 months about the density. Then the hair shafts will thicken over the next year giving a better illusion of density.

I would like to know who says they can pack 80-90 grafts per/cm and get good a survival rate?

Good luck Bro

PJ

*sigh*....The Master Strikes Back: Episodes 1000048382....?

You are still farly early in the grand scheme of things, though, so let's hope you are just a slow grower and this isn't the symptom of a much larger problem (i.e. your clinic and their methods/ethics). That said, regardless of how good your yield and result ends up being, you should get improved growth in the coming months.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Spex...

Will Dr. Feller take patients who have already had botched FUE surgeries on as new patients for repairs using FUE?

The reason I ask is because Dr. Feller has stated that each surgery makes future FUE surgeries more difficult in terms of yield.

I believe that is how he put it.

Hope the regrowth will get better for you, be patient until at least the one year mark.

On the other hand, are you sure it is 90 grafts per cm2? At this level of density and on top of that with FUE, your yield will be significantly lower. In any case, even if the yield is 100%, you probably just wasted 50% of your graft since it does not provide cosmetic difference.

BTW, Dr. Keene just did a limited study (presented in Montreal) and it seems that it is very rare that donor area exceeded 80 grafts/cm2 while at the hairline, it is about 40-50 grafts/cm2 for male WITHOUT any hairloss. Why on earth anyone would want a density of 90 grafts/cm2.

Apart from Armani, i have not heard anyone promoting such a ridiculous density.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

BTW, Dr. Keene just did a limited study (presented in Montreal) and it seems that it is very rare that donor area exceeded 80 grafts/cm2 while at the hairline, it is about 40-50 grafts/cm2 for male WITHOUT any hairloss. Why on earth anyone would want a density of 90 grafts/cm2.

latinlotus,

Be aware that even Dr. Keene admits that this study is anecdotal to date however, the existing data certainly suggests this. It will be interesting to hear Dr. Keene's findings after she increases the sample size. Stay tuned icon_smile.gif

I was privileged enough to go through this presentation with her privately and we had some great discussion. I was very ipressed with Dr. Keene's passion for not only the artistic, but the scientific approach to hair transplant surgery.

Anybodyknowsme,

I agree that 7 months is too early to evaluate the final result. More growth and maturation should occur over the next several months.

I also agree that 80-90 FU/cm2 seems a bit excessive unless you have very fine hair characteristics.

Do you have any before, immediately postoperative, and after photos you can post for us?

Best wishes and happy growing,

Bill

80-90 Grafts per square centimeter is excessive.

Overall, a small FUE procedure may yield acceptable growth; however, the risk for poor yield increases with larger sessions.

Compare a 4000 STRIP vs 4000 FUE procedure.

For the 4000 STRIP procedure, removing the donor hair, preparing the grafts, making the incisions, and inserting the grafts can easily be done in 1 day.

A 4000 FUE procedure, alternatively, will take a few days (2, 3, or maybe even 4 depending on the number of surgeries booked at the clinic and the surgeon's schedule). This is because the majority of your surgery will be allocated to removing the donor hair and preparing the grafts. Removing the donor via FUE requires a much more meticulous approach than STRIP since the surgeon has to repeat the process thousands of times. Even in the hands of a skilled FUE surgeon, fatigue will most likely occur which will result in transection.

The proof is in the results. For large sessions, STRIP will produce more consistent results than FUE. There are more documented cases of 4000 STRIP to support this claim.

I wouldn't gamble on a 4000 FUE surgery.