5/11/07 4714 Dr. Wong - almost 7 months

Looks great, especially at only 5 months. Youll look amazing in another 5. You make me want to jump on a plane to Canada tonight!

Nervous Nelly: your perfectly entitled to your opinion, but I completelly disagree with it and do not understand your take on this. I have read a couple of other guys respond similarily about toj and other patients, so heres my take on it and Id like to hear your responses.

His pre-op pics show such few and cosmetically insignificant hairs that he could not even attempt to style it (no offense toj) and they will certainly be non-existent in the future. In addition, wasn't this his first procedure? That means, from my understadnign, that hes' a virgin scalp and has the best potential for getting the most amount of grafts possible on this first surgery. The little hair he did have will surely eventually fall out. Why not take the absolute most possible grafts now and (possibly) spare him a few more years under the knife? Maybe he would have looked decent with less, but if one can look fantastic then, why not? I havent had a ht yet and currently have quite good coverage, yet this would surely be my line of attack as I know that the hairs I do have are miniaturizing and will be lost one day. Maybe its just a difference of opinion, but when I go for my first round under the knife (or blade rather) Im going to try and get as many grafts as possible. When you factor in all of the variables into the equation: downtime (I know Im going to look like shit and more bald than ever for the first few months after surgery), native hairs will eventually be lost, transplanted hairs will remain (hopefully) for life, the desire for as MANY hairs as possible on the top of your head; then for alot of guys the cash issue is insignificant and even superfluous. Especially if taking more now means sparing someone, if even for only a few years, from having to go through the whole experience and down time again.

Maybe some guys, such as yourself, just want a fair amount of coverage on top. While others, such as myself and I assume Toj, want as much hair on the top of our heads we can get!

just my thoughts.

ng2b---- NN was making the point that this patient could have achieved a great result with fewer grafts---- fewer grafts, less trauma, PERHAPS less permanent shockloss.

He is also making an educated observation that regardless of session size, most patients still have to return for a second session.

So when you put that together---- perhaps a lower graft total, coupled with the fact that toj will most likely go back for another HT-- it seems like a reasonable assertion.

This is all opinion of course, but Dr. Wong certainly has the ability to do this type of refined surgery without transecting existing hair.

But that still entitles NN to offer his opinion which differs from this patients plan of attack.

It is all in what you are looking for, just as you said.....

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Notgoing2gobald,

I understand what it is that you are saying and I appreciate your opinion. In a perfect world I agree with your philosophy, however, this is a serious surgery and there are risks involved. A larger session does increase the risks. Also, you too are making an assumption that his current native hair will eventually fall out. You can't make a statement of certainty like that. I have been losing my hair for 20 years and am still a NW 4 and I know others that were NW4's for over 30 years. It is a possibility that his native hair had unecessary strain put on it as less FU likely would have provided phenominal results.

Nonetheless, toj is ecstatic about his results as he should be and I don't want to take that away from him. I'd rather not continue this debate under his thread. The decision was his and I will respect that and wish him the best as I am sure his results will be awesome. Dr. Wong is superbly skilled and given time, toj will be a posterboy.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Toj,

You're looking great already at an early stage. I'm truly happy for you.

Fact is, we do these types of surgeries all the time. Some of the comments made make it sound like we started doing this only a few days ago. The is most definitely not the case.

Good growing to you, Toj, and do keep us all updated. Thanks again for sharing.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

NN

The potential for risk is there for surgey of any size ie. a small number of grafts poorly placed on the hairline could be a nightmare. These large sessions are more differcult to do and are safe in centers that have the expertise and techical backup to do the work. With t0j32000 You are right that a smaller session concentrating on the front and crown only will still produce excellant coverage but not the best cosmetic result. Since the donor hair is significantly coarser and darker than the finer hair in the midscalp by grafting this area we carry the stronger donor hair uninterupted from front to back thus giving a better color and blend to the entire top. This will give a much more uniform coverage and avoid the contrast between strong and weak hair.

By grafting into this this thinning area is there a greater CHANCE of transecting the thining hair on top? Yes, that's why we shave the top to ge a better read of the existing hair angle. If we can match the blade to the follicular angle there is minimal transection. Are we perfect? NO. Are we close? YES

Toj thanks for updating us.

J Wong

I believe that the number of grafts transplanted were not needed to provide an adequate illusion of density.

BUT I do believe the number of grafts transplanted will provide a superior result and provide more than an illusion.

The risk for native shock loss is certainly a consideration going into surgery. I have a tendency to agree that shaving the recipient area will minimize the risk of native hair loss as it is easier to determine proper angle and see in between the existing native hairs. I recognize that this has been disputed by othe rmembers of this community and do not intent to get into a debate over it here. The use of ultra refined blades will also help minimize the risk of shock loss.

Keep in mind that permanent shock loss only occurs in one of two ways: 1) transection of the existing follicle (discussed above) or 2) miniaturized hairs on their way out anyway.

Temporary shock loss is an entirely different animal and shouldn't be considered into this equation (though obviously undesired).

NN...your concerns are definately on the right track - however I believe that Dr. Wong took all the necessary steps to ensure a quality hair transplant.

Will this patient need more work in the future? Possibly...especially if additional native hair loss occurs. Of course, this was a risk no matter how small or large of a session he received.

So far this patient is looking good...but he is early in stages. Let's wait until we all see the "pudding" to make an official evaluation of this case. Though if I were to make a prediction, I'd say this patient will be very satisfied with his results.

Best wishes,

Bill

...this has been a good read.

NN: well, I guess we just differ in opinion. You are right that hairloss can be very slow. I remember looking at my thinning top about eight and a half years ago thinking I would be totally bald in two years. While it has thinned out significantly more and slightly more recession Im still not bald.

But I know these hairs cant last forever and they continue to shrinken with less and less of them growing. So, in the end we just differ in opinion though.

At 4 months her looks really good!!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile but here are a few more pics at just about 7 months now. I had a few more but they were apparantly too big to post.

Things are going really well though, and my hair is just a bit longer in the new pics. I think I prefer the shorter haircut and actually makes it look a bit thicker so will probably go back to it. When I had my surgery Dr. Wong told me just wait how you look at Christmas time...and now here we are and I really couldn't be a whole lot happier with my results so far.

Thanks Dr. Wong!

fucking fantastic! Looks great and your only at month 7. Can you get any pics of the top? That last one of your forehead has gotta go though, unless you guys put some grafts in there and are just waiting it out..I gotta couple questions (as always):

1.have you played with trying different styles?

2. are you getting hair greed and want to go in for another session?

3. how many grafts do you have in reserve?

another Alba for our enjoyment...Mmmm...my baby.

jessica_alba_girlfriend_1.jpg.db2863e6b0b8c8ae1c1ec70b8b3b2e30.jpg

Toj,

You're looking fantastic and being only seven months you still have more improvement to look forward to. You should expect some more density and refinement in the next five months. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Looks great

well, I guess regarding planting where native hair is: You are going to have to address it at some point or another. A larger session does not mean the Doc will transect the hairs. With goods docs, they can be pretty good at avoiding this.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks everyone. As of now I haven't been feeling any hair greed yet...just enjoying the results so far. I've always been pretty bland with my hairstyle and have mainly just kept it fairly short so far. I'm not sure how many I have in reserve, but Dr. Wong did mention I had good scalp laxity.

I'll try to get some better pics up soon with top of the head shots and some hairline shots.

Mrjb,

I think you were responding to a post that was seven months ago...

Toj,

thanks for being so helpful by contributing both pics and answers to questions. By ALL accounts you made the right decision as your post op 7 month appearance is far superior to your pre-op. How is the scar? Do you know how short (as in buzz guard #) you can go down with minimal or no visibility?

Your answer regarding being bland with your hair style is an intriguing one. I recently made a post about what hair styles can and cannot be achieved with a ht. Now, after reading your answer Im staring to wonder if a lot of guys have certain hair styles merely because it suits them and not because there is some defficiancy with respect to density or the transplant as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I don't think your hair style is bland or anything. It's just that was your description and kind of served to give me some additional insight into other factors that could be playing a role here. Thanks again and continue to keep us posted.