I did it!!!

A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH HAIR TRANSPLANTATION

After 33 years of doing hair transplantation, I finally took the big jump myself. Like most 50, 60, and 70 year old men (I just celebrated my 60th birthday), I have noticed the slowly progressive thinning of my frontal hairline and the gradual upward trend. The old excuses like my brain is just expanding such that my forehead has to grow to compensate for it and other such camouflaging statements never disguised the fact that time, even in those of us who do not have a strong genetic tendency toward male pattern alopecia, still weakens our frontal hairline. So, on April 26, 2002, I filled one of the hair transplant schedules myself. The anesthetic, neutralized with sodium bicarbonate, was totally painless. The only nuisance factor in removing the donor was lying in the prone position for 15 minutes with my brow on the head rest of the Boyd table. My surgical nurses suggested that, since this was my only complaint, we might use a soft gel pad on the head rest to soften the mild pressure on the brow. The slight sensation of tightness during the placement of the initial vertical mattress sutures to orient the skin margins was the only other recognizable step in the procedure. I can honestly say that I felt absolutely no discomfort throughout the donor removal and suture closure. My surgical team let me design my own hairline with their approval, moving my central brow line forward about 1 cm. I got to look at my donor hair under the microscope and confirm what I have always known, and that is that my hair shaft diameter is relatively fine, probably about 60 to 65 microns in diameter. My surgical team of assistants, guided by the planter, who happens to be the sweetest, kindest, and prettiest woman in the world (my wife, Carole) were quite complementary to me on my behavior. What else could they do - I write their paycheck. The staff kept me busy saying nice things about me and my having to deny all of the them through the day.

The week after the hair transplant went as expected. Carole and I took off five days to visit friends in Virginia where we went Morel mushroom hunting and visited the campus of Washington and Lee and VMI, as well as the museum on campus. The only nuisance encountered was a mild discomfort from the stitches which were removed at seven days. I took one Tylenol the second day post-op at Carole's insistence, but I could have done without it.

All went well, and I can now say that I appreciate each and every one of you as patients and the courtesy you all extend to us, as well as the great complement you place to us by putting yourself in our hands to design something that is so important to us. I am now one of you.

-B.L. Limmer, M.D.

icon_eek.gif

Dr. Limmer

A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH HAIR TRANSPLANTATION

After 33 years of doing hair transplantation, I finally took the big jump myself. Like most 50, 60, and 70 year old men (I just celebrated my 60th birthday), I have noticed the slowly progressive thinning of my frontal hairline and the gradual upward trend. The old excuses like my brain is just expanding such that my forehead has to grow to compensate for it and other such camouflaging statements never disguised the fact that time, even in those of us who do not have a strong genetic tendency toward male pattern alopecia, still weakens our frontal hairline. So, on April 26, 2002, I filled one of the hair transplant schedules myself. The anesthetic, neutralized with sodium bicarbonate, was totally painless. The only nuisance factor in removing the donor was lying in the prone position for 15 minutes with my brow on the head rest of the Boyd table. My surgical nurses suggested that, since this was my only complaint, we might use a soft gel pad on the head rest to soften the mild pressure on the brow. The slight sensation of tightness during the placement of the initial vertical mattress sutures to orient the skin margins was the only other recognizable step in the procedure. I can honestly say that I felt absolutely no discomfort throughout the donor removal and suture closure. My surgical team let me design my own hairline with their approval, moving my central brow line forward about 1 cm. I got to look at my donor hair under the microscope and confirm what I have always known, and that is that my hair shaft diameter is relatively fine, probably about 60 to 65 microns in diameter. My surgical team of assistants, guided by the planter, who happens to be the sweetest, kindest, and prettiest woman in the world (my wife, Carole) were quite complementary to me on my behavior. What else could they do - I write their paycheck. The staff kept me busy saying nice things about me and my having to deny all of the them through the day.

The week after the hair transplant went as expected. Carole and I took off five days to visit friends in Virginia where we went Morel mushroom hunting and visited the campus of Washington and Lee and VMI, as well as the museum on campus. The only nuisance encountered was a mild discomfort from the stitches which were removed at seven days. I took one Tylenol the second day post-op at Carole's insistence, but I could have done without it.

All went well, and I can now say that I appreciate each and every one of you as patients and the courtesy you all extend to us, as well as the great complement you place to us by putting yourself in our hands to design something that is so important to us. I am now one of you.

-B.L. Limmer, M.D.

icon_eek.gif

Dr. Limmer

• Administrators

Dr. Limmer,

Congratulations and welcome to the "REAL Hair Club for men".

Your ground breaking work in follicular unit transplantation has contributed to the happiness of me and thousands of others. Now it has come around like good karma to improve your life as well. Needless to say, you've earned your great results a thousand times over.

Now get those before and after photos in so we can get you up in the Gallery :-)

I'd wish you good luck in your hair growth, but since you went to Dr. Limmer you won't need it.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Hello:

I am Jessica- Hair Transplantation Coordinator for Dr. Limmer. Dr. Limmer is out of the country on a Mission trip to Mexico until August. I check with Dr. Brad Limmer (his son) and, we don't know where the photos are. But, as soon as Dr. Limmer gets back, I will definately post them. He left yesterday and I checked out the recipient area before he left, it looks wonderful! He has fuzzies! This is the first time I have seen day to day results, myself. I am pretty darn impressed!! I'll be back in about 2-3 weeks with those photos, I know you can hardly wait to see these results.

-Jessica icon_wink.gif

Dr. Limmer

Jessica,

You stated:

"Jessica- Hair Transplantation Coordinator for Dr. Limmer. Dr. Limmer is out of the country on a Mission trip to Mexico until August"

Is this a "mission" trip regarding hair transplants or that of a religious nature?

Cutlass:

Sorry, it is a mission trip to Mexico with a group called "TIME for Christ". He and his wife go every July with other physicians, they say it's a great experience.

-jessica icon_smile.gif

Dr. Limmer

Jessica,

I understand. That is great to hear that Dr. Limmer is involved in such ministries along with other physicians. His appreciation & care of patients shows. To give his own time to those who need help is awesome. It shows in how he treats other patients.

God Bless...

Cutlass:

It is awesome. Dr. Limmer is one of the kindest people I have ever met. His determination to help others is a God-sent. This is probably why he is respected by so many. Thank you for your interest and blessings.

Jessica icon_smile.gif

Dr. Limmer

• 3 weeks later...

Cutlas: I had only my front central hairline done- about 300 follicular units.

Monty: I will be happy to send photos of my donor scar as well as my grafts as they grow in.

/jal icon_smile.gif

Dr. Limmer

Hey Use2bjaded,

I bet more people go to Limmer or Berstein for corrective surgury than Woods.

Regardless,

How do you know what the transection rate is for Wood's technique is? Have you been to him? What were your results? Have you studied his work? Has he published papers? Has he worked with other doctors to fully explain his technique? Are you sure the instrument he uses to take the follicular unit from the donor area does not in some way damage existing follicular units around it? I don't know Dr. Limmer personally but I wish I did because I bet my scars would not look as bad as they do.

Ok and another thing, I asked a well respected doctor on this site in person who would he go to if He needed a transplant.

He chose 2 doctors: Dr. Limmer was one of them.

See ya!

Here we go again,

"Dear Jaded"

This is just another example of a "newly" assigned screen name...barking up a storm. At least be a credible contributor before making such dis-crediting remarks. And remember "your" opinion is just that ! icon_wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I just thought you fellows might be interested in this. Some of you guys have been very skeptical about Dr. Woods, and that's fine. Hair transplantation is an area where a healthy amount of skepticism can save your appearance.

There is now another surgeon besides Dr. Woods (and Dr. Rassman) who is working on a Woods-like strip-free harvesting method. He is transplanting hair in this manner right now. Not only that, he is a doctor who is already recommended by this website, Dr. Jones in Ontario. Dr. Jones' info from the "Find a Great Surgeon" section here.

This has been reported on other websites and Spencer Kobren has also discussed it at length, on the radio. Dr. Jones is in the preliminary stages and is working on getting better and faster with this method. Of course, Dr. Woods has some 12 years of experience with this method, so there is some catching up to do. Still, it is a very encouraging development.

It seems like some of you folks who claim Dr. Woods is a fake or his method is "impossible" are in for a bit of a surprise.

Also, there was some criticism about Dr. Woods saying "if he is so 'state-of-the-art' why is his website so crummy?"

Dr. Woods updated his website a couple of months ago, in case you had an issue with that.

Arfy,

Thanks for the update, like yourself I am a very hard sell, but remain very open minded. I would encourage the "Woods" procedure "if" in fact it proves the best method. In time it may be the method of choice ?..I am very happy however with my decision and excellent scar healing. Please keep us all posted..much appreciated !!!

NW

• 10 years later...
Your hair transplant posting does sounds like Sy Sperling from Hair Club for Men stating he is also a "client"

Can we see a picture of your donor scar?

Haha.. You mean "Cloient"

Sperling was an ever present and ubiquitous icon of late night TV advertising in New York for decades. I wonder if he's still around since I no longer live there. I was one of his first victi... um "Cloients" back in the early 70s. The only thing undetectable about Sy's product is how he managed to stay out of jail or escape being beaten to a pulp by his "Cloients".. It simply was a cheesy rug that looked more like a dead muskrat than a natural head of hair attached by tying the thing your fringe. After a few days his piece of super pricey garbage would begin to rot as your scalp turned into a festering swamp underneath. It would stink so bad that you couldn't sleep.. Forget about sleeping with the hot sexy babes Sy would liberally feature in his ad blitz - always fawning over some dude who obviously wasn't one of Sy's "Cloients" in real life.

Edited by thecenturion