Hairline lowering procedures for disproportionate forehead (high hairline) 19/M/Victoria

wynter

I have asked online at New Hair Clinic and Ashley Martin Centres about hair transplantation to lower my high hairline. My forehead is out of balance of my face, and I want to correct this by have a hairline lowering procedure.

The reason I get turned down, is because I'm too young, and transplantation is extreme.

I am now looking into hairline lowering procedures. It usually means having an incision at the hairline, then folding the skin and stretching it and stitching it back on with minimal scar. I don't the minimal scarring.

I am from VIC, has anyone had a procedure like that or anyone can recommend me where I CAN get a hairline lowering procedure without being hassled? Would greatly appreciate it.

Notes: 6.5cm forehead. Looking to reduce by 2 to 2.5cm.

Hairloss: No significant hairloss

I have asked online at New Hair Clinic and Ashley Martin Centres about hair transplantation to lower my high hairline. My forehead is out of balance of my face, and I want to correct this by have a hairline lowering procedure.

The reason I get turned down, is because I'm too young, and transplantation is extreme.

I am now looking into hairline lowering procedures. It usually means having an incision at the hairline, then folding the skin and stretching it and stitching it back on with minimal scar. I don't the minimal scarring.

I am from VIC, has anyone had a procedure like that or anyone can recommend me where I CAN get a hairline lowering procedure without being hassled? Would greatly appreciate it.

Notes: 6.5cm forehead. Looking to reduce by 2 to 2.5cm.

Hairloss: No significant hairloss

Anyone that would recommend a transplant to you at 19--- lowering your hairline 2-2.5 cm would be a complete idiot.

Your 19--- you are not losing hair.

My suggestion is to relax and wait it out---- 30-32 at least.

If you still have all your hair, then look to perhaps lower your hairline.

Even at that time though--- .5-1cm will make a drastic difference in your look.

Do that FIRST then assess your situation.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I completely agree with B spot's advice.

You're way to young to consider this. Plus, 2 - 2.5cm's is pretty aggressive if you're at 6.5cm now. Be patient and give it some time.

A change in hairstyles can do wonders for a high forhead............maybe get some advice from a stylist.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I actually want to lower my hairline with incision surgery, not HT. Since doctors won't use HT's on me because I'm too young bla bla and they want to keep their job and a good name.

I have reconsidered to lower my hairline from about 1.5cm to 2cm at most.

Problem is: I am having troubles find someone who can do this lowering procedure for me in VIC, Australia.

From looking around, clinics only "restore" hair, normally meaning they only treat people with hair loss.

At the moment, I don't lose hair, and my family does not have hairloss in our bloodline. It will be unlikely I guess, but that's another story.

I've taken consideration of the long term regrets, but my short-term simply outweighs long-term decisions. I have my reasons.

So pretty much, my question is:

Are there any surgeons who can do this procedure for me in Australia, Vic hassle-free? If so, please let me know. I know that this will change my life and the way I look at people, and the way people look at me.

Thank you for the replies so far..

What you seem to want I would liken to scalp reduction surgery.........I wouldn't recommend it. As for who could perform the operation, you may start with a referral from a dermatologist or check with a HT Doc.

Again, I'd recommend you don't do this. Did you think over what I mentioned about changing hairstyles first or trying something else? What about the other thread that I mentioned about the proportion of your face in thirds, did you measure this to see if you are in proportion? Sounds like you've got your head set but I'd advise you to step back and think this over.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Okay, you've made up your mind. But even so:

1.5-2.0cm is A LOT to lower a naturally-occurring hairline. A LOT. I realize that sometimes doing a hairline-lowering job can be an improvement in appearance, but even in those cases I can't think of anybody I've ever seen or known who would need 2cm's worth of it. More like .5-1.0cm at the most. Find someone who is really good with photoshop to do a new pic of you with the lower hairline. I'll bet money that you'll look better without the entire 2cm's worth of lowering.

The fact that you're pushing for 2cm makes me wonder if you've gotten way too obsessed with this one particular bad feature of your face and you're wanting to absolutely annihilate it now that you're gonna have it worked on. The hairline may be too high now, but that doesn't mean you should have your surgeon knee-jerk it way too low.

Do an internet search for "Micheal Jackson's nose" and you'll see the harmful results of OVER-fixing a slight flaw after too many years of emotionally stressing over it. Jacko might have really benefitted from the first two or three nosejobs, but . . .

(And I also still vote STRONGLY not to try to get your hairline lowered at all. I'm a person who's got virtually no hair loss in the genes and I'm still starting to bald in my late 20s.)

------------------------------------------------

I just measured my face.

Measurements from bottom to top:

Bottom Section: 6cm

Middle Section: 8cm

Top Section: 6cm

If there is anything I learnt from spiritualism, it would be that: The only thing that matters is: Here and Now.

Not the past or future.

If I want to change, I should change now. What if the future were now?

I agree with you calvin. Perhaps it is too intrusive.. I've come to settle to 1cm - 1.5cm at most.

I intend to lower my hairline, either sometime soon or in a few months time at most, depending on cost.

Could I be turned down or rejected a referal or recommendation from a HT doctor as this would affect them professionally?

I've never been to a dermatologist before. How should I approach them with my problem.. I feel embarassed when I talk about my problem in person..

I basically look through dermatologists through the net, ring the front desk. Okay. But, how should I ask or bring about my situation?

Okay-

If your middle secion is 8cm's and your top section is 6 cm's, your hairline is already 2cm's lower than maybe it should be proportionally, understand? Now, I realize this isn't one size fits all but it is at least a good way to see if you have a proportion problem and it doesn't sound like you do.

As for spiritually, totally depends on your point of reference and any presuppositions you make. I'm a Christian and believe we are eternal beings created by God with each person having the choice of heaven or hell by accepting or rejecting Jesus Christ. Not sure what faith or religion teaches that "here and now" are all that matters.

Really, this is the last place to discuss religion. Most everyone here wants to do something about there hair because they like how they look better with hair more than without hair.

Don't be embarrassed about speaking to a Derm about your problem, trust me, they get all kinds of requests and anything you share with them is not going to be discussed with anyone else anyway.

Again, I'd highly caution you on doing anything with your hairline at such a young age. If you have hair loss in the future, and it is totally a crap shoot as to whether you will or won't, you may very well regret your decision if you move forward.

You're 19....consider this, let's say you live until the age of 75. As you age, your appearance will be no less important to you. I'm 40 and going in for a 3rd HT in a couple of months.....I'm happily married and have a wonderful wife and two great kids.....I still care how I look.

I'm not against you and this is your decision. I'm just trying to get you to see another prospective and truly evaluate what you are contemplating.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

I understand and thank you for posting your opinions. They are valued very much.

I may lose hair... I probably won't grow hair... The future is unpredictible.

I wasn't necessarily on the topic of religion, rather spiritualism, enlightenment through yoga.. which is a different topic. Putting that aside..

In worse case scenario, my hairline balds, recedes, shows the visible scar from scalp reduction surgery.

Possible solution: Whatever necessary amount of Hair transplants needed to cover scar and restore hairline assuming I am a loaded with donor hair and cash.

Is it that bad of an idea? I've done so much thinking into this..

I want to have fun being young, and looking good as well. I don't want to regret not having done this procedure, and going bald anyway in the future and think about all the times I could have had this operation and changed my outlook on life..

My personal appearance affects my daily life.. When I look bad, I will feel bad. I will stay at home, avoid my friends, come up with excuses to stay at home..

When I look good, I will feel good. I ask people to go out, I go shopping, I play guitar, I say 'hi' to the girl at the checkout line..

My face proportions are just numbers.. My forehead seems too large.. I think it could be better off with 1-1.5cm lower. I would be the happiest man in the world if I could do this.

Could you actually give me some opening lines into talking about my hairline? Or should I just ring and ask for an appointment with the doctor and talk to him/her about it. If so, what would the opening lines be? Perhaps a rough script of what could be said?

So sorry to ask so many questions.. I just like to be prepared and know what I'm doing..

I would seriously reconsider your decisions. From what I understand scar reduction has decreased in popularity significantly due to the limitations. It is generally used to address male pattern baldness in the crown area as skin is moved from the sides. You would potentially have a visible scar on your forehead. Also, other complications include the fact that your skin may stretch.

I found this info on the web in about 5 minutes adn I suggest you take even more time than that to really research what you are considering because you may really make things much worse and wind up regretting.

Take your time and consider your options:

• Wait till you are older

• Wait till you lose hair

• Accept the characteristics of your hairline

Hope this makes sense

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

Ok, what happens is that a strip of tissue is removed from area immediately below the existing hairline.

Then the doc pulls the existing hairline down to meet the lower edge of the incision and sews it shut.

Viola! New hairline!!!

However, the scar has shown to ridge in many cases.

The scar has shown to widen if tension becomes to great.

The hairline has the potential to migrate back toward its natural position.

You could lose your hairline as you age and be forced to try and transplant into and around existing scar tissue, with no guarantee of successful growth.

Your 19---- you have no idea what you are talking about.

Your too young to understand the ramifications of your actions, and regardless of your believe in "spiritualism" or whatever, your electing to try an experimental surgery that could disfigure you and force you to undergo additional surgeries to try and fix your problem.

Now, either don't listen and go away and stop cluttering this board with ignorant posts

OR

Go do something with yourself, like get an education or meet a girl or something and put this issue in your back pocket for later.

I am right about this.

So are the others.

THINK ABOUT IT.

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Basing your happiness on your physical appearance doesn't sound very spiritualistic to me.

Oh and BTW - the future matters and preparing for it it one of the wisest things you can do.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I have done research.. the reasons people have the scalp reduction done, is that they were not candidates from the start.

Reason is: The skin is too tight.

Perfect candidates need loose skin, and the skin is pushed against on the scalp should show three-visible folds of skin. I luckily have three folds, and thus, I have chosen this type of surgery.

From what I know, scalp reduction surgery only is unsuccessful over a period of time with people with tight scalps, and don't fit the criteria of the three-skin fold rule..

You get laid more as you get older. Believe me, if you do this now you'll probably be ready to hang yourself in the bathroom at 31.

Jessica Alba's 26. Eva Mendes is 33. Do you really want to risk an unsightly scar right below your hairline when you're of age to be getting girls like that?

I've taken consideration of the long term regrets, but my short-term simply outweighs long-term decisions. I have my reasons.

wynter,

I would simply re-evaluate your reasons. No matter what emotional reason you have today, it's not worth it in the long run. What are your reasons? Do you mind if I ask? Is it a girl? Do you have difficulty winning that one girl's heart? Maybe many girls? Are you teased, ridiculed, made fun of? Are you lonely and sad and think this will give you more security?

Trust me bro...I felt like you at your age too...well, maybe a few years later when I was 21 and just started losing my hair. BUT, right now you are not losing hair, but that doesn't mean you won't. Lowering your hairline at your age is simply not a good idea.

But it's your decision. I'm sure there are some unethical doctors out there that will do it...it's just not in your best interest at this time because the risk factor is too high.

Good luck to you anyway bro...I hope you make the right decision.

Bill

Wynter:

If the hairline is to be lowered come hell or high water, then IMHO you should get a FUE hair transplant in front rather than having any kind of "hairline lowering" done with a scalpel. And just lower the center area of the hairline, leaving the temples un-lowered.

If it turns out that you start balding in a few years, then you've got no linear scars anywhere (which allows a relatively short buzz cut) and you haven't even committed to filling in your temples with the future transplants you'll need. (Somewhat receded temples is a much safer way to have the hairline, in terms of future HT issues and limited donor hair.)

The bottom line is that if ever do ANYTHING about the hairline, from ANY field of cosmetic surgery, then you're 100% committed to the full-blown hair transplant process as soon as any male-pattern baldness shows up. But what I'm suggesting will be the least-possible risk to take and still do anything about framing your face better right now.

------------------------------------------------

• 10 months later...

Wynter,

After reading the interesting posts here, I feel the urge to register and post my opinions here, which I think might have helped to broaden one's perspective on appearance...

I have to agree with the rest especially B spot - whose comments make a lot of sense and precious advice. Surgetical procedures of lowering hairlines have in many circumstances cause long-term cosmetic problems that can result in very low Un-natural hairline which one would regret much later - furthermore a low hairline would look unsightly as one ages.

Even though the surgeon is informed of the measurement (of how much the hairline can be lowered), this does not mean the incision surgery would go smoothly to produce a more desirable and aesthetic looking hairline.

Here is a good article recommended for reading and advice:

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/content/hair-loss...signing_hairline.asp

I need not have to go through any forehead lowering surgery or hair transplant. I also do not have hair loss problem.

But I have a very different problem - I dislike my natural low hairline (about 3cm) - I think it's so low that it has been depressing me and cause me to lose confidence. By the way, I am an asian woman and in the oriental cultures, short forehead denotes stupidity. And to be honest, my short forehead affects my good facial features - too much hair tend to blow my face out of proportion.

In fact, there are several sources that suggest low hairline is a form of health defect http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/hair_symptoms.htm

Everyday at work, I refuse to tie up my hair even though I would look neater because I am ashamed of showing my low forehead.

Deep inside me, I am crying out for help to just want to raise my hairline by just 1cm only - But I doubt any surgeon would want to do this for me.

I believe it's unfortunate to be borned with an extremely low hairline - which may not be possible to be fixed for the rest of my life - I think ppl with low hairlines have to live with them for the rest of their lives. http://www.astrology.com.au/face/theface.asp

So, if those who want to lower their hairlines, I would urge them to think twice even though I have no right to inflict my opinions on others. Anyway, for one to know the consequence, is the result he/she get to see out his/her action and decision.

From my research about the possibility of raising hairlines that are way too low, I discovered that most people want their high hairlines lowered. Learning from these findsings, I realise that most people tend to pin point or nit pick on certain parts of their appearance at some stage in their lives Or throughout their entire lives especially due to peer pressure or some self-consciousness that can be instilled by some media, i.e. There will also be lots of people who dislike their low hairlines that they are borned with. Likewise, some other people would dislike their high hairlines.

I think it might be impractical for most of us to spend a great deal of time and later on, even money to correct what we don't like or feel about ourselves even if it could just be a minor cosmetic problem. But I feel that my case (3cm of low hairline) is a situation that requires 'BALANCE' (this means hairlines should not be too high or too low).

I am not against surgery to lower hairline but I have seen some results that do not look very desirable.....http://www.bevhills.com/gallery/lower-hairline-photos/

By the way, I think a high hairline can be well concealed by certain hairstyles or hair cuts - caesar cut or buzz cut with some hair to conceal the hairline - this would enhance the look more aesthetically than what can be achieved by a irreversible surgery that could go wrong (besides incision surgery or even hair transplant).

I would rather advise you to try styling your hair in different ways. With my low hairline, I am left with almost zero option - I would be keen to have it raised by 1cm but I doubt any surgeon would do it :-( Too

Wow - how scary is this? I was once 19 and went to Bosley and had surgery at 20 with a full head of hair, so I've certainly made my fair share of stupid mistakes! The fear of baldness overcame me simply because I had a high hairline. I wasn't thinning or balding at all, but because I had a naturally high hairline, friends made fun of me. Did it suck? Sure. But what would have been worse is if I actually had a 'scalp lift', which is what you are considering. I hope the following sends shivers down your spine and you'll once and for all be appreciative of the advice being given to you on this forum:

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/hairtransplant/scalp.html

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Jeanie,

Thanks for your thoughts and some insight into your own personal battle with a lower hairline. Here on this site, we don't hear much about this, since most are very concerned with obtaining more hair. In addition to us being able to offer you support, your post also may help others see why lowering their hairline too much may count against them. Getting the hairline "just right" therefore becomes very important and should be discussed in great detail with their surgeon beforehand. It is easier to later lower a hairline slightly than to raise it.

Though hair transplantation isn't for you, have you considered any other procedures that might help raise your hairline? Removal of the hair through follicular unit extraction is possible, but you will be left with scarring on the forehead. I imagine it may be increasingly problematic to go that route since scarring tends to be more obvious on slightly darker skin. But I imagine procedures exist for this, but like anything else, be sure to educate yourself thoroughly and be aware of ALL risks going in and whether or not they are worth it.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 4 months later...

Hi to the original poster, I'm considering getting my forehead lowered, theres one surgeon I know of in Australia that has been to America and studied from expert plastic surgeons how to lower the hair line, hes located in bondi junction in sydney his name is Dr Warwick Nettle, the e-mail for their surgery is info@silkwoodmedical.com.au, goodluck honey, I know how bad you want it!