Propecia losing its effectivness?

Jayman117

I started taking propecia january 2003 when i was 19 because I started to lose my hair fast. It worked well. I stopped losing my hair for the most part and even gained a litte back. Then in 2004 i started using rogaine as well and it seemed to help even a little more. Now i'm 23, been on propecia for 4 1/2 years and rogaine for 3 years. Just in the last few months my hair started getting thinner than ever. My main problem was a receding hairline and thin up front. But now I have a big round balding spot as well on the back of my head. Why all of a sudden did this start happening? Is the propecia and rogaine losing their effectivness? And what can i do?

Chances are it slowed the process and it is just now catching up to where you can see what has been happening the whole time. However, many have reported a decrease in effectiveness after many years of use, so you could be correct.

i thought propecia works all the time until u stop taking it..

Does it loose its effect after couple of years? people who are taking over 4 year is it still working?

thanks for sharing.

Propecia .5mg

1/2 tablet of hairscript formula

Keep in mind, if Finasteride or Duasteride comlpetely halted or reversed hair loss, we'd all be popping pills instead of getting HT's icon_cool.gif.

IMO...........Either Fin or Dut MAY help you by slowing loss, providing minimal regrowth, or maybe for the occassional lucky guy you could really see some nice results.

I view the meds as a way for me to drastically slow things down............in my case, really I just wanted to stop the hair from continuing to move down the back and sides.

There's no guarantee with the meds or with Minox. As for Jayman117, he may still be seeing a big benefit from Fin and would substantially worse off without it, who knows for sure.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• Moderators

My guess is it's the rogaine/minoxidil that stopped working more than the propecia and you're losing the extra growth you were getting from that. That's known to only work for a few years in many people. Propecia has a longer time frame of effectiveness. I've been taking it for 10 years and it's still working for me.

I'll also add that I think there can be a few years when you would naturally be going through very fast, agressive hairloss that the meds have a harder time fighting it. Once you get past those years to when your hairloss will have slowed on it's own, the meds start having a better effect again. If you can keep as much hair as possible until then you'll be better off at that time. At least that's what seemed to happen to me over the years.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Propecia is not 100% effective. The data on propecia is well documented on their website. There is a nice video and chart showing how initially you can get an incease in hair count but over time it stabilizes and then even decreases. While you have progressed with your hair loss, the real questions is how much faster or further woould you have progressed without it. I have several patients that have had similar results.

Hi,

I'm new here but I've had tremendous results using Propecia, Extra Strength Rogaine & some other products. I put my routine of what I use and real before and after shots of my hair- believe me they are such lousy amateur photos they are real, on a website I just started (promotional link removed) I don't have a financial stake in any of these hair products. You might find this very useful. What works for me though might not work for you. I'll be happy to answer any questions here on my routine which I discovered through trial and error.

Phil (promotional link removed)

Hifififi.

You are not to suppose to post any sites on here as Bill stated. That goes for any and all products

Propecia works well for many as myself but I do not think it has stopped working.. tough to say a bit because I have had 3 HT's. With that being said, I think it has haulted my hairloss. Before, my hair was falling and it was very frustrating.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!