Dr Steven Holt in Grand Rapids MI?

I think he is part of a criminal organization MHR who regularly commit fraud and misrepresent thier procedure.They will tell you anything to get you to go forward and hand over your money.Most of the time they do a quick and sloppy sometimes dangerous procedure. After that you are on your own.This is when they review the consent form with you.What consent form you ask? the one they pop on you as a photography waiver minutes before, usually after you are medicated.It is buyer beware full on with this breed.The doctors there are used car salesmen with knives pointed at your head.There are better choices would be an understatement.

• Like 1

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Oh Mahair...there u go again. Do you know Dr. Holt? Have you you had an HT done by Dr. Holt? Why do you continue to make generalizations about MHR...not knowing the doctor? I know about your experience with MHR and THAT particular doctor. It is a shame, and he should pay. However, MHR does have some good doctors. Doctors that are very interested in the patience well being...and final results. I really think you should stop badgering MHR, and concentrate on the specific doctors. This forum is suppose to be educational...not speculation about doctors based on a bad experience you had.

Rebel,

All I can say is do your homework. Ask to meet with the doctor and use this forum to ask educated, informative questions. Ask to see pics of patients (recent) that are the same NW that you are. Ask to call patients for their opinions. Unlike Mahiar, I went to MHR and was very pleased with the doctor, the staff and so far the outcome (7weeks). I did use this forum to educate myself. I actually went back three seperate times for consultations...all with the doctor. Each time she met with me, and answered my questions...very self assuring. Good luck with your search. Ant questions, just ask.

• Confused 1

Scooby,Unfortunately MHR misrepresents their procedure wholesale it is not speculation.They have harmed lots of people this is the TRUTH.You may have been lucky and I hope your honeymoon is not short lived. Are you planning to have your second and third procedure with them?If your doctor was ethical and concerned ,as it appears she was, she will not be with them for long.As far as just ask question. I did all of the answers were complete lies, not only the consultant but the doctor they are trained to do that(by MHR)I have that from an inside source. If they had answered even one of them truthfully I would not be in this position.Sorry Scooby I will tell the TRUTH about MHR every chance I get.And WILL refute every thing they would tell a potential victim with facts.I saw the work they did on you it is not their usual standard of care.Most will not be so lucky. Rebel, there is another forum you can search. Some of "Dr." Holts victims have posted there.Why don't you go check it out Scooby?You might want to change your name to LUCKY.

I don't know if I can mention it here but if you do a search for hairloss help it will come up and direct you to their forum.There is a recent post under hair transplant doctors.Yes it would be nice to think that MHR has some "ok" doctors that don't lie,do irresponsible work or worse butcher you but you don't want to find out at the risk of your head and health(my opinion).FACT: They are light years behind the top doctors on everything except sales tactics and sales pressure , lies are a form of sales pressure.They use commisioned consultants (salesmen)to do most of the lying for them and then swear to it.There are about 2 doctors in the world I would ever let touch my head and neither would have at the stage I was at unless I disregarded their opinion. They are mentioned here frequently.What is your current hairloss? what do you expect to get from it?From where you are you could travel 100 or so miles and go to the best or stay local and then travel thousands of miles in an attempt to fix it if possible.Bad hairtransplants can never really be fixed.There is much to know about hairtransplants and most of the info is self- serving so you are starting out at a disadvantage, so be careful. Good luck.

• Like 1

Rebel,

In my opinion and viewpoint, DO NOT go to the big chains or what I at times refer to as, "hair mills". It's not that we need to name them individually, just do your homework and search them by name under a key word search and you'll be able to read all of the threads concerning them.

Although it is possbile to receive an "ok" quality now and then, why risk it when there are so MANY better choices.

Dr. Didocha is in South Field, MI who would be closest and also definitely consider Dr. Shapiro in MPLS, MN for himself or Dr. Rose, as they are probably second closest to you yet you would be getting several of the top-notch independents available. You might even be able to drive it from where you are. Do not base your selection "solely" on geographic convenience however. Oh sure you have to consider any doctor individually, but in the big chains they do not make policy or MOs for the most part. So even though the doctor may have some level of skill, they still have to operate within the confines of "upper management" who usually have NO medical training but are MBAs, etc if that. The bottom line? Who is establishing the protocol and guess who "has to" follow it? Don't be surprised to find out that many individuals setting policy in the mills come from backgrounds in used car sales, or some form of "high-pressure" sales like time shares, water filters, Kirby, etc, etc.

In addition the good independents often have better pricing for their procedures than the hair mills do. So you have the best of both worlds without taking the uneccessary risk of assembly line hair restoration. Best wishes on a wise decision!

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

There is a lot of good advice in this thread as well as a lot of strong opinions that I can see good points on either side.

The only thing that I want to remind the original poster is that you only get one scalp. One. That is it. You have a VERY finite amount of donor area hair and more likely than not, you have more area to cover than what your donor hair will allow.

That alone would warrant that I go to the best option available to me. A physician that I was sure to get the best results possible for my money.

In your neck of the woods, I highly recommend Dr. Ron Shapiro in Bloomington, MN or Dr. Raymond Konior in Oakbrook Terrace, IL.

Both of these independent hair restoration physicians have a golden track record of patients that have posted their experiences on these very forums. Do a search under the "Find" tab to check out what past patients have to say about them.

The proof is in the results. These two doctors have them. Their ethics are impeccable and their work speaks volumes for itself. At least do yourself the favor of looking into one or both.

-Robert

• Like 1

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 1 year later...

I would strongly recommend someone other than MHR and Dr. Holt. I had a 1000 graft procedure done, but I lost a lot of the grafts for one simple reason: he "cut too high" (subsequent surgeon's words, not mine) in taking grafts from the donor area. In other words, instead of taking the grafts from an area where it was highly unlikely they would be lost, he went beyond the industry standard. As a result, here I sit a few years later, a bald spot in the back of my head where the grafts were taken from and a lot of missing grafts in the hairline (where they should be).

Unlike others, I had a good overall experience with the subsequent physician at the Pittsburgh office of NuHart. If it wasn't for him, I'd be in deep trouble today. As it is, he did a nice job anticipating my hair loss and I have a decent hairline (Holt's screw up notwithstanding).

NuHart was a lot less expensive as well. The only thing Holt did that was superior was when the scalp was stitched together, he did a great job as you can't even feel the scar line.

I can't say the same for my second experience where I have a rough spot all the way across the back of my head. I don't know if it was caused by a subsequent infection I had, the fact that he had to stretch the scalp that much further due to the original transplant surgery, or just a sloppy job taking care of the donor site.

In sum, I'd avoid Dr. Holt like the plague.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Sounds like most of you have not met Dr. Steven Holt. He's been a Board Certified/Fellowship trained hair surgeon for 16 years. Yes he used to be with MHR, but has had his own private practice in Grand Rapids for 5 years. He did not care much for the Corporate Hair Transplant environment. He did my first surgery at MHR, and it was a great procedure. I did a second density procedure at his new practice in 2010. I am very happy with my hair, and know many more who are as well. If you have any concerns, make an appointment and go meet him. You will be impressed. He also offers a warranty on all transplanted grafts. Don't take somebody's opinion you have never met. Including me. Meet him and decide for yourself. He's done over 7000 procedures and is one of the most highly respected Hair Doctors in Michigan. He's been a good friend for several years, and I just went to work as his business manager early this year. I see many happy customers every day. So do your research and learn the truth about him. Otherwise you are missing out on a truly gifted surgeon that goes out of his way to make his patients happy.

• Confused 1

Talk about popping out of the woodwork after 7 years...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 7 years later...
On 4/16/2007 at 3:27 PM, Freebird said:

I would strongly recommend someone other than MHR and Dr. Holt. I had a 1000 graft procedure done, but I lost a lot of the grafts for one simple reason: he "cut too high" (subsequent surgeon's words, not mine) in taking grafts from the donor area. In other words, instead of taking the grafts from an area where it was highly unlikely they would be lost, he went beyond the industry standard. As a result, here I sit a few years later, a bald spot in the back of my head where the grafts were taken from and a lot of missing grafts in the hairline (where they should be).

Unlike others, I had a good overall experience with the subsequent physician at the Pittsburgh office of NuHart. If it wasn't for him, I'd be in deep trouble today. As it is, he did a nice job anticipating my hair loss and I have a decent hairline (Holt's screw up notwithstanding).

NuHart was a lot less expensive as well. The only thing Holt did that was superior was when the scalp was stitched together, he did a great job as you can't even feel the scar line.

I can't say the same for my second experience where I have a rough spot all the way across the back of my head. I don't know if it was caused by a subsequent infection I had, the fact that he had to stretch the scalp that much further due to the original transplant surgery, or just a sloppy job taking care of the donor site.

In sum, I'd avoid Dr. Holt like the plague.

I really wish I would have read this before I had a procedure done by him. He really screwed up my hair line with low density and brought it down too low. I'm also consulting with another physician for a repair. 

• Sad 2

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

On 5/28/2005 at 2:08 AM, rebel927 said:

I'd really like to hear anything and everything you know about this guy. Thanks a lot! -R

Wow, 17 years later. There's nothing good to hear. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

Sorry to hear that…I was highly suspicious of them.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

• Administrators
On 7/17/2022 at 4:33 PM, mavigo said:

Wow, 17 years later. There's nothing good to hear. 

Why would you bump a 17 year old thread? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.