hairline ht question

When conducting a hairline ht on a NW2 does the doctor shave the area where the transplant will occur during the day of the ht? Just wondering if I can go back to work un-noticed after a week? Any feedback is appreciated.

When conducting a hairline ht on a NW2 does the doctor shave the area where the transplant will occur during the day of the ht? Just wondering if I can go back to work un-noticed after a week? Any feedback is appreciated.

• Administrators

Rottun,

Some surgeons do prefer to shave the recipient area, especially if they are dense packing grafts. Shaving the hairs down to stubble makes the process of making the incisions and placing grafts easier.

As for recovery time - with the newer refined techniques that make tiny less invasive incisions, healings is now relatively fast. Generally you should look fine after a week.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Rottun I am also NW2 and my dr shaved my recipient area it is easier to work with like pat said. Honestly I would wait until after you get the stitches out b4 you go back to work.

1045 FUT "hairline" with Dr Feller on Nov 05

825 "hairline" with Dr Loria "saw so so results" on Jan 01

MHR 325 "hairline" micro/mini 's 1999 "big mistake"

Originally posted by rottun:

I cannot take off more than a week nor can I wear a hat to work. I am wondering if anyone at a nw 2 level was able to mask the shaved hairline (hair coverage?)

i got lucky i grew my hair out b4 i got the procedure done but i freaked out when he shaved my recipient area, I was able to cover the recipient area by combing my hair foward thank god it was long enough to cover it. Also I am 6'3 so being that tall I disguised it well.

1045 FUT "hairline" with Dr Feller on Nov 05

825 "hairline" with Dr Loria "saw so so results" on Jan 01

MHR 325 "hairline" micro/mini 's 1999 "big mistake"

Rottun,

Like Beefy suggested, if you're only a NW 2, maybe you have enough other hair to grow out and cover?? Another possible option for you...........

I'm in process of scheduling my 2nd HT, am having a mega-session of as many as they can harvest (I'm hoping for 5000) and had/have the same concern as you. I work in a Bank and in no way want my recipient scar showing nor can I walk around with the "shaved on top" look.

At first, I asked my surgeon's office about not shaving the head, though they recommend it. Then, I asked about me clipping it down to 1/2" (#3 cut) all over before coming?? They said that would work. I figured this way it will all look about the same and still should be enough to cover the donor scar in minimal time.

My situation is a little different than yours.....I'm about a NW 4 after my first HT. I'm getting my large "shiny" spot covered on the back where my hair is very fine and hardly visible so I don't think there's much concern on the surgeon's part in damage to existing hair. My top and front, which I'm having filled in.......I probably have 25% existing hair which is subject to MPB, 75% FUT's from my first HT.

Anyway, maybe this is something you can ask your Doc?

Hairbank

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Dr Epstein suggests leaving about 3cm in the back to cover the work. In the recipient area, the shorter, the better. H&W shave it down to a #2 (I think) whilst others are not bothered. For his 2nd procedure with Dr Seager, Whoops kept his hair quite long everywhere (see his website) and the results were just as great.

IMO the best option is to schedule a consultation with your doc the day before the planned surgery and see if he's happy with your hair length. If he isn't, you've still got time to go to the hairdresser icon_smile.gif

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

I am going to fly out and have it done with Dr. Rose so there is no in person consultation for me. He had just responded back that he would not need to shave the graph area. I could not come back to work with the look hairbank described. Are there any asthetic issues I should be concerned about? Thanks for the great feedback...

For appearance concerns.........you'll want to have enough hair to cover the donor scar. For my first HT, I was told 1", but I think 1/2" may have covered it. I clipped it to 1/2" after the stitches were taken out (at 10 days) and it was barely noticeable.

You'll probably have some scabbing and maybe a little pinkish look to the skin. If the surgeon is good and does nice work, you probably won't have much scabbing. Even if you do it should have come off by the time you return to work. The pinkish skin color will also go away but I'm not sure on the time frame?

The newly transplanted hair will most likely start falling out within the first few weeks after the HT but I don't think anyone will notice. You may choose to keep your hair clipped kind of short until it starts coming in??

For the first couple of days after the HT, you may experience swelling on the forehead or around the eyes. I used an icepack applied for 15 min. a time, 3-4 times daily and did not have any. I think you have more chance of this when the HT is toward the hairline, like in your case.

I imagine you'll get some pre-op/post-op info from your surgeon which should provide plenty of detail.

Hairbank

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi

In my 2 procedures I have returned to work in 7-10 days. The donor site was covered with hair and the HT site I masked with Dermatch..

Works well

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 4 weeks later...

I am now 13 days post op and still experencing some scab fall out. To answer my original question (I had 1500 graphs done in my hairline)I returned to work two days post surgery without any signs of a ht.

Dr Rose and his staff were great.It was well worth the research on this form and travel time.

• 11 months later...

Hey Rottun, I feel like I am in the same boat as you in terms of the procedure you needed/went for. I also am in the same boat with the inability to miss much work at all. Did you end up having to shave your head in the recipent area? I have pretty long hair and would rather not chop it too much. Also, mine is parted just about in the middle, which I am hoping would cover most of the worked on area. I appreciate any insight! This is a hectic process!

Delawaredude-

Welcome to HTN..........I see this is your first post so I'll point out to you the "posted date" on each post. This thread was posted on by rottun on 2/19/06 and I haven't seen him around for awhile.

Just wanted to fill you in! icon_smile.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog