Searching for the right doc

MikeSf

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. I have learned so much from you guysgals, and have been in touch with a few. I am greatful for that...now I am in search of the right HT doc. So far I am narrowing down to: Drs Limmer, Dr Keene, Dr.Ron Shapiro and Dr Hasson/Wong. Any comments/feedback and recommendations would be much appreciated. It is so difficult to tell from photos as many look excellent, and some within the doc's blog are inconclusive. How do you choose the absolute correct one?

Mike,

Welcome to the forums. It looks like you have narrowed it down to some excellent physicians. Every doctor that you have narrowed it down to is from the coalition...that is good. I admit, I'm not familiar with Dr. Limmer's work personally, so I can't give you much advice. I've seen work done via photos by the rest, and I've been impressed with the work I've seen done. Finding a doctor is a personal thing too...you have to find someone you are comfortable with. My recommendation is to do research on this and other forums on each of these docs and look at a number of before/after pictures, especially from those who have a similar pattern of hairloss as you.

Bill

Hey Bill

Thanks for your response. A good friend who scrutinizes every little thing got his HT from the Drs Limmer and looked great. He was very satisfied with the outcome. I saw it too so that is what made me put Limmer on my short list. The others seem terrific too, so as you commented, it becomes a very personal thing. BTW, what other forums are there to research with regards to HT docs/blogs/discussions etc.

Look forward to talking more..and your results are stunning..CONGRATS on that!!!!

Yo Mike, welcome onboard. As Bill said, choosing a Doctor becomes a personal decision since you have reduced your list to these fine Doctors. Having a HT is part surgery and part artistry. You need to get in sync with the vision your Doctor has, and your desires. There are many people here that post their progress for you to look at. A Doctor that can routinely turn out excellent results is where you should focus. Many websites can show an individual superior result,but is this the norm or merely a showcase example? Good luck, have fun researching and talking to Dortors! Cheers. Salt-n-Peppa

HT#1 4944FU 23May06-Hasson

HT#2 1960FU 16Jan07- Hasson

6904 Total FU, 13160 Hairs

2184-1's, 3184-2's, 1536-3's

MikeSf-

Sounds like you've developed a nice "short list"! I'm with Bill in that I haven't seen too much of Dr. Limmer's work, but I do believe it's excellent or he wouldn't have made it past the site administrator here (Pat) and been recommended on the Coalition Surgeon list.

Take a look at what your needs are and go from there. Each of the Doc's you've mentioned have their own style and comfort zone when it comes to the type of work they provide. Ask plenty of questions, see that they can deliver what you're looking for or explain why it can't be delivered..............then make your call.

Good luck!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hey Mike!, not too much to add except a few minor bits of info-----

Limmer is pretty good, will NOT transplant over 40 fu's cm/2 in 1 sessions and really prefers 25-35 fu's cm/2. He is very solid and I have not heard any negative remarks about his work.

I think he uses needles to create recipient sites.

Dr. Shapiro is widely regarded as the creator of the most natural hairlines, and turns out consistantly superior results.

H&W -- churn out superior hair transplants as well. Dr. Hasson achieves densities of up to 70 fu's cm/2 (only on QUALIFIED patients) and Dr. Wong is a master at recreating the whorl pattern in the crown.

Dr. Keene is a solid Doc as well, (do a search on Gorpy to view a patient of hers)and does a nice job balancing desity with coverage.

This not to say that a large drop off occurs where each Dr. is concerned, but over the course of time, a general consensus forms amongst those of who spend a lot of time online.

Any of these Dr.s will perform a superior hair transplant and design a treatment program specific to you.

Good Luck and let us know how things go!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks to all of you for the responses feedback. I also spoke with Dr Jeff Epstein's office in FL. Great guy as well. I think it was Salt n Peppa that said it is a combo of artistry and technique that makes a great outcome. I definitely want someone who can do a great job and make it look natural. More that in terms of looking like a huge head of hair. I still have some on top and am looking for density/thickness and coverage. Thanks gents!!

Originally posted by the B spot:

Now.....the surgeon I used for HT #1 did this and, though the end result was okay, it did not allow the grafts growth to replicate my original patter.......which, I believe, is very important, especially for hairline work. Overall, if it's what I received for HT #1, I couldn't recommend it as I am disappointed with it due to this.

Anyone else have any thoughts or experience with this?

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Your right Bank, using needles to create recipient sites makes angulation more difficult, and can cause hair to grow straight up or at "odd" angles.

I think for the most part Dr. Limmer is one of the few Docs who has solved this issue and produces very natural results.

I, however, would not allow a doc to use needles for recipient sites (personal choice)

Perhaps Pat can confirm Dr Limmers approach with needles.

I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure I have this information correct.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I agree with B Spot....use of needles would most likely make angulation more difficult. Personally, I probably wouldn't want a doc to use needles on me either.

B Spot,

Nice post above pointing out the facts and your opinions about the various doctors. You are a fountain of knowledge regarding many doctors.

Bill

Some would say my fountain gushes TOO much, but that is another story icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, I know the density measurement on Dr. Limmer is true, but I am trying to validate the needle usage so as not to offer false information.

I will update ASAP.

icon_biggrin.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Some would say my fountain gushes TOO much, but that is another story icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, I know the density measurement on Dr. Limmer is true, but I am trying to validate the needle usage so as not to offer false information.

I will update ASAP.

icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks, B.........as Bill, I also appreciate your input and precision when it comes to "just the facts" on surgeons.

BTW- you don't have to use your sliderule on this one........just that pinpoint mental acumen icon_wink.gif !

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

WOW...lots of info and some conflicting points of view, I suppose with regards to the Stick and Place methods. Will ask Limmer about this issue for sure as I wrap up a decision. While this is an interesting process in coming to the final decision, it sure can be nervewracking. Sure don't want to make a mistake and want the most natural hairline. I am trying to keep my present hairline, not lower it, but fill it in and fill in some of the crown. Thanks tons GENTS!!

MikeSf,

Please post your reply when hearing from Dr. Limmer. If he does use pins I'll be ultra interested in hearing how he can replicate growth pattern. I can get my hair to do what I want in front if I have more than 2" in length, but it tends to stand straight up if I let it go on its own. If that's what pins always create, you won't like it.....trust me.

Thx,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

HK-

The pins actually are "planted" in your head and stay there until a tech removes them and places a graft in the icision they create..........make sense? In my case, the Doc inserted the pins sticking either straight up or slanting backward slightly so that's how the hair ended up growing. So, you're not really creating an incision like with a blade where you cut and move on.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

That's interesting, I had never heard of this before.

Theoretically it should be an even more refined technique than even, say a .6mm blade. Right?

I am sorry to hear your first HT Doc planted the pins this way, how could he? Was he so clueless????

You would think it would be even easier to accurately hold the desired angle since the long pin gives you greater visibility against the plane of the scalp ...

Why is it harder to achieve a better angle then?

Good question, HK. The incisions made by the pins don't really seem much bigger than those made by Dr. Wong with his blades during HT #2. As for the pins.........my first HT Doc said the techs prefer them as they can better see where to place the grafts.

As for the desired angle............I think of it this way. I'm starting to place pins on the frontal third, and the patients frontal third grows forward and from left to right. So, I start angling the pins accordingly. Enventually, you'll have difficulty placing the pins and they will start hitting one another. If I remember correctly, I'd guess and say the pins are likely 2" or a little more in length. Hope this makes sense.

Also, the way I understand incisions which cause your hair to grow a certain direction..............I believe you place the incision perpendicular to the direction you want the hair to grow (others chime in, please, I'm not for certain on this). So, if I wanted the hair to grow forward from the frontal third, the incision would be running side to side, not front to back, correct?

At any rate..................I do not believe the pins could be used to mirror directional growth of hair but would love to hear input on this.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Ok, so I understand if you have some density, the pins would be hard to place because your fingers would not have enough room for proper angle placement. Although with proper technique this should only affect a small percentage of the sites. For the direction of the hair growth I think you are referring to the lateral slit technique which is covered in Jotronic's site:

http://www.hairtransplantmentor.com/lateral-slit-technique.htm

I'll admit I have to read it again a few more times to get a good handle on it ... icon_razz.gif

Just to clarify Bank - the hole would be in the direction of the hair. It's the slit that would be perpendicular. This allows a two hair graft for example to flair perpendicular to the hair angle. End result would be frontal hair graft which points more or less in a frontal direction and would be forming a "peace sign" or "victory sign" when looking at it from the front. Thus creating more of an illusion of density.

Does that make sense?

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Well, group, I am going to be talking to Dr. Limmer on Monday or Tues of this week. Would you guys like for me to have a list of questions to fire off to him. He seems like a great guy from what my friend said. They ended up being friends through the surgery. And, my friend did some serious research prior to making the decision. So, it makes me wonder and believe that he is doing something right with regards to the Stick and Place method. Anyway, will be happy to let him know about the debate etc...thanks. And let me say one more thing while I am pontificating...it is SOOOO awesome and comforting to have a forum like this...Godsent when you are dealing with this Sh..!!

Limmer is pretty good, will NOT transplant over 40 fu's cm/2 in 1 sessions and really prefers 25-35 fu's cm/2.

Could you provide verification for this? Did you ask at the clinic or did they post this somewhere? Since you used capital letters it implies some kind of rule at the clinic and I've never heard of any clinic making that kind of blanket statement because there are so many variables with a transplant.

The Limmers use stick and place with needles. This is not remotely the same as the method of using pins that was described by Hairbank.

Furthermore the argument that needles impede correct angulation is without merit.

Spoon: What is the difference between pins and using needles for stick and place?

Has anyone ever compared the post surgical redness/pinkness/hair angle placement effectiveness with needles versus custome cut blades?

I read it in an article that Dr. Limmer authored where he detailed that he feels yield is compromised when transplanting anything over 40fu's cm/2.

Note that he is saying PER SESSION, not the result of 2 or 3 sessions.

Also, since we are asking for proof of facts, how can you say that needles do NOT impede angulation? By nature of the actual incision it is a round hole, and I am not sure you can say incision, rather, it would be a puncture when using needles. That sounds a tad different than a lateral, coronal or saggittal slit that is used to control angulation and orientation to the native hair or surrounding transplanted hair.

Anyway, I will attempt to find the article again.

IF NOT, I have NO PROBLEM calling the clinic and asking for clarification.

The question is, will they talk to me and offer the information I desire.

If I am wrong, then I will post that and offer the information the clinic gives me, along with the reasoning for using needles.

It is not my or our fault here that some Coalition Docs choose not to update us as to their current methodology.

Futhermore, it is nearly impossible for us to keep up with all of these Doc's because their patients are either ignorant of the Coalition or refuse to post here.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs